Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks very much for the link to 'the wonderful world of charlie gillett site' lateralthinking1. i have now registered (and am awaiting a response from a martian).

Comment

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
      thanks very much for the link to 'the wonderful world of charlie gillett site' lateralthinking1. i have now registered (and am awaiting a response from a martian).
      This, my dear old HF, present us with a problem

We don't want to lose you over there with those CG aficionados; so don't get tempted, led astray or charmed by their promises of free and easy WM listening, sparkling repartee or free downloads of goat-herding chants recorded in the outer reaches of Azania and never before heard.

We rely on a select band of hard-core listeners to maintain commitment to the B.B.C and particularly lovely old, permanently collapsing, r3 and their entrancingly minimalilst devotion to WM and other welcome alternatives.
      The Great Work must continue in the face of all opposition - to do this, we need people.

The more the merrier; in the immortal words of Hunter S., when the going gets wierd, the wierd get going.
      Here's a crude sketch of the Doctor knocking out a review of his sister, the good Doctor Lucy's, latest World Routes show for Songlines magazine. Probably quite a short review because the BBC, in their finite wisdom, will have decided to truncate it to 15 mins

(in the interest of fairness, Songlines mag also have a forum - do go and visit; you won't like it and will hurry back - result!)

If anything, please try and entice some of those other forum people over here. I'm sure you can think of some reasons...

Comment

my dear old global truth,

i am touched, (but you knew that anyway)!

how could you even contemplate my departure? i'd miss your pictures too much, just for starters. besides, who exactly might i discuss ('peripheries') bruce lacey, or lartigue with, on 'songlines', or a cg forum? much as we all admire goat herding chants (and, indeed, yodelling), of course contraints, limits remain!

my own thorts are, charlie gillett was a lot of positive things, definitely had a uniquely intimate but eclectic style. however, you can't beat the thorough contextual grounding as supplied on r3 at its best, and in several music genres. r3 output, based on a remote region, discussed (in translation) and just a handful of local songs broadcast, (recorded to beeb archive forever (hopefully) combined, provides that bit extra uniqueness, and peachy delight for r3 listeners imv. there's nothing like someone coherent, enthusiastic, equiped with gadgets 'being there on our behalf'. especially, one who is sympathetic and respectful to players....(historically, something which your link to the jean jenkins doc illustrated so perfectly).

if i did happen to join discussion on cg forum, i might just 'pick off a few to drag over here', but tbh have no idea how successful i'd be at that, as mb newbys on forums usually have a tough ride initially. especially those that towt. my 'reason for kidnap' as far as an enticement operation might be concerned, would be 'the global truth', of the allure of 'r3 greater context'. since this is what's increasingly missing in our newly truncated worlds in a daily sense.

*generally, life gets bittier by the day. sigh. last year, i punched in bt landline call #1471, into a debit card machine, utterly convinced it was my pin #

despite all, i sense a good omen, as far as a sense of longterm continuity, and community are concerned, right here. notoriously, these things do not happen over night, and we are often bamboozled by absolute bs about 'sustainability', as well as numerical 'value', especially of late.

tbh i joined the cg site primarily only so that i can listen to cg's voice and his archive of tunes .... for his anniversary (and beyond)....but tediously, have to log in, and wait (apparently) to be able to even do this.

what with numerical/word sequences to remember, as per daily personal identity IRL; sprees of hapless bookmarking of pc favourites, and virtual word & id codes; as well as so many once stationary daily real life fixtures, now sliding around 'all over the shop'. people often feel they simply haven't got enough time, or memory ...unsuprisingly..... on the subject of mb names, i've had the same one since i originally logged on to the beeb site in the early 2000s. personally, i am named after a person in a queque coincidentally met at the time of logging in initially. (though i am prepared to accept that 'handsomefortune' does sound better in a foreigh language). having one static mb identity says alot really, and i wonder if you are the very same globaltruth who might have popped up on r4 'the choice isn't yours' mb occasionally? (as did lateralthinking1).

Comment

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
          my dear old global truth,

i am touched, (but you knew that anyway)!

how could you even contemplate my departure? i'd miss your pictures too much, just for starters. besides, who exactly might i discuss ('peripheries') bruce lacey, or lartigue with, on 'songlines', or a cg forum? much as we all admire goat herding chants (and, indeed, yodelling), of course contraints, limits remain!

my own thorts are, charlie gillett was a lot of positive things, definitely had a uniquely intimate but eclectic style. however, you can't beat the thorough contextual grounding as supplied on r3 at its best, and in several music genres. r3 output, based on a remote region, discussed (in translation) and just a handful of local songs broadcast, (recorded to beeb archive forever (hopefully) combined, provides that bit extra uniqueness, and peachy delight for r3 listeners imv. there's nothing like someone coherent, enthusiastic, equiped with gadgets 'being there on our behalf'. especially, one who is sympathetic and respectful to players....(historically, something which your link to the jean jenkins doc illustrated so perfectly).

if i did happen to join discussion on cg forum, i might just 'pick off a few to drag over here', but tbh have no idea how successful i'd be at that, as mb newbys on forums usually have a tough ride initially. especially those that towt. my 'reason for kidnap' as far as an enticement operation might be concerned, would be 'the global truth', of the allure of 'r3 greater context'. since this is what's increasingly missing in our newly truncated worlds in a daily sense.

*generally, life gets bittier by the day. sigh. last year, i punched in bt landline call #1471, into a debit card machine, utterly convinced it was my pin #

despite all, i sense a good omen, as far as a sense of longterm continuity, and community are concerned, right here. notoriously, these things do not happen over night, and we are often bamboozled by absolute bs about 'sustainability', as well as numerical 'value', especially of late.

tbh i joined the cg site primarily only so that i can listen to cg's voice and his archive of tunes .... for his anniversary (and beyond)....but tediously, have to log in, and wait (apparently) to be able to even do this.

what with numerical/word sequences to remember, as per daily personal identity IRL; sprees of hapless bookmarking of pc favourites, and virtual word & id codes; as well as so many once stationary daily real life fixtures, now sliding around 'all over the shop'. people often feel they simply haven't got enough time, or memory ...unsuprisingly..... on the subject of mb names, i've had the same one since i originally logged on to the beeb site in the early 2000s. personally, i am named after a person in a queque coincidentally met at the time of logging in initially. (though i am prepared to accept that 'handsomefortune' does sound better in a foreigh language). having one static mb identity says alot really, and i wonder if you are the very same globaltruth who might have popped up on r4 'the choice isn't yours' mb occasionally? (as did lateralthinking1).
          Thanks HF both for your loyalty to the cause & the flattery. I respond well to it, but prefer music...

I'm bound to say that I also have registered with the other forums as well as r3ok, but go there rarely since we have the use of this Rolls-Royce of a site, courtesy of FF

Yes, I am GT across all BBC MB's but not anywhere else.

For reasons which may become clear one day, at least one of the other GT's out there is my kid brother. And I'm nothing to do with the Globaltruth website.

Comment

I really enjoyed the English Folk Songwriters' Circle tonight on Beeb 4 featuring Martin Simpson, Steve Tilston and the wonderful Michael Chapman - his voice might not be quite what it was but his playing is still terrific. Some great songs in there and wonderful pickinig - really enjoyed ST's 'Reckoning' and of course it was great to hear 'Slip jigs and reels' which I hadn't heard in a while. Well worth a watch and there's some extras in there too.
            Michael Chapman performs Memphis In Winter as part of BBC Four's Songwriters' Circle.

Comment

Ye Gods & little fishes there is precious little upcoming on BBC radio over the rest of this month for those interested in non-mainstream and/or World Music. And when I say 'precious little' I mean zero, zip, nada...

Here's the only thing I can find of interest:

Archive on 4 - More Than Just Whale Music
              Saturday 24 March
              8.00-9.00pm
              BBC RADIO 4
              Whale music has been identified with New Age ambient sounds washing over healing crystals. But Christine Finn finds a serious market for this elemental melody and other natural sounds.
              Christine explores the appeal of recorded natural sound and how it's been manipulated by musicians since the first live broadcast of birdsong in 1924, when the cellist Beatrice Harrison duetted with a nightingale in her garden.
              She discovers there's a lot more to recorded natural sound than just whale music, but also finds that whale music, far from simply wafting among New Age crystals, played a major role in launching the conservation movement of the 1970s.
              Now some of use are quite familiar with nightingales in gardens...

On the Isle of Wight they love whales so much they use them as shops apparently...

(JC you can discover the Beach Boys thing & the Cerys Matthews Blues thing for yourself I reckon...)

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                (JC you can discover the Beach Boys thing & the Cerys Matthews Blues thing for yourself I reckon...)
                Oh you're such a tease Global, = I'm off for a look - and there was me thinking I'd be suffering the Trout all weekend.

Comment

Cerys' got Roberto Fonseca in the studio this morning.
                  Following the success of her jazz-themed show, Cerys celebrates the blues.

Comment

Who does he play for, john ?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                      Who does he play for, john ?
                      I'm imagining the reds Paul!

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                        Cerys' got Roberto Fonseca in the studio this morning.
                        http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01dxsy1
                        I enjoyed it. He has abilities in diverse musical styles. Past output has ranged from jazz to Cuban and some dance grooves. The instrumental version of Bibisa seems closer to Philip Glass than Ruben Gonzalez. Then, in the EP version, with Fatoumata Diawara, it becomes a Malian piece - http://open.spotify.com/track/4GRUtu2yUlV5trSUVXtpyi. File under "likely to keep interesting".

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                          I enjoyed it. He has abilities in diverse musical styles. Past output has ranged from jazz to Cuban and some dance grooves. The instrumental version of Bibisa seems closer to Philip Glass than Ruben Gonzalez. Then, in the EP version, with Fatoumata Diawara, it becomes a Malian piece - http://open.spotify.com/track/4GRUtu2yUlV5trSUVXtpyi. File under "likely to keep interesting".
                          The Malians and Fonseca sounded like they were having a great time together on Bibisa - Baba Sissoko's ngoni, Sekou Kouyate's kora and Fonseca's piano sounded terrific together; it was a real stand out for me - about an hour and 36 minutes in to the programme - and talking of Malians, great to hear an Ali Farka Toure tune played on a Sunday morning radio show.
                          Following the success of her jazz-themed show, Cerys celebrates the blues.
                          Last edited by johncorrigan; 26-03-12, 07:59. Reason: just clearing up a misunderstanding of sorts!

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/genres/world/reviews

This link lets you see how often, and who, has played WM artistes... Ali Farke Toure has been played twice this year for example by the BBC...TWICE - not on r3 of course.

Comment

That'll be Ken Bruce & Chris Evans again.

Comment

Those Jubilee singers

Small oasis, different desert...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00sb0h8

just listened to this on r4 about the Jubilee singers - definitely worth a listen again; written by Adrian Mitchell too...and, in the current way of things, a re-broadcast from 2010.

(interesting small section in there about the use of the word Jubilee - England seems to have misappropriated it)

Comment

Working...
                                X