• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blimey.
    Thanks.
    Missed it first time around, tsk !

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
      just listened to this on r4 about the Jubilee singers - definitely worth a listen again
      Thanks. I have just done the same - a first hearing - and very much enjoyed it. I love "Steal Away".

Interesting to note that they were initially wary of the ordinary white collar guy who was from mining stock and yet when it came to the elites many were respectful of all the finery. It shows what all that frippery can do.

As one pointed out, HMTQ was downright contradictory in her outlook, as were many of the upper echelons. Even when they could be moved by singing they would never have been able to have translated that across to imposed conditions here.

I have a new phrase which I intend to use now at every available opportunity - "the primitive elites". They never seem to develop like other people and are currently regressing.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
        Thanks. I have just done the same - a first hearing - and very much enjoyed it. I love "Steal Away".

Interesting to note that they were initially wary of the ordinary white collar guy who was from mining stock and yet when it came to the elites many were respectful of all the finery. It shows what all that frippery can do.

As one pointed out, HMTQ was downright contradictory in her outlook, as were many of the upper echelons. Even when they could be moved by singing they would never have been able to have translated that across to imposed conditions here.

I have a new phrase which I intend to use now at every available opportunity - "the primitive elites". They never seem to develop like other people and are currently regressing.
        Thanks Lat, good post, and I like that 'primitive elite' observation...

Comment

"the primitive elites".
          Brilliant Lat. I think I've thought the same since childhood but never got around to putting it in to words.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
            "the primitive elites".
            Brilliant Lat. I think I've thought the same since childhood but never got around to putting it in to words.
            Thanks to both of you for the good words. I will happily donate it as a title to a great songwriter. There must be on or two still around.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
              That'll be Ken Bruce & Chris Evans again.
              ....I'm sure Vincent Duggleby slipped one of Ali's tunes into Money Box!

...and thanks for the Jubilee pointer - really enjoyable - great tunes - and a fine story.
              Last edited by johncorrigan; 02-04-12, 22:03.

Comment

Animal World Music

In the car I've been tuning in to Book of the Week 'the Great Animal Orchestra', occasionally this week and really interesting sounds being generated in there. I'm going to try to listen to some more if them BT engineers ever get round to fixing the phone lines up here. Mind you it lets me hear the skylarks who still seem to think it's spring.
                Bernie Krause shows why it is critical to preserve our remaining natural soundscapes.
                Last edited by johncorrigan; 05-04-12, 11:36. Reason: pronoun problems

Comment

.....and King Cutler at 11pm tonight on 4 Extra, the first of six I think. Probably one for the I-Player as it overlaps with Seun Kuti.

Plus John Peel's Shed - enjoyable - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...hn_Peels_Shed/
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-04-12, 19:28.

Comment

Coming up on Fri. Oilrig features a session from Canadian group Po' Girl.

And if you detect a Be Good Tanya resemblance, you're right - one of them was in that group I think.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01fjykd

There is some stuff on Spotify - this is a good track I think
                    with poor sound quality:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2d04iRgL54
                    with better sound quality:
                    http://open.spotify.com/track/5fI3HPwyGdvIUyr1EIK02P
                    some old lyrics mixed in with a new tune - the world needs more clarinettists who can sing and play the glockenspiel don't you think?

Comment

On the other WM station this aft., a play set in Nigeria. whilst the characters were two-dimensional, the story predictable, and the settings somewhat confusing, the background music track was terrific - made the whole thing worth listening to.

As may be expected, there is no information about the music on the web page
                      http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00x41n8

unless anyone out there can identify it?

Comment

and because I haven't plugged his show lately, here's the latest from Mark Coles in The Shed.

http://www.markcolesmusic.com/Portfolio.php

just a shame he's so relentlessly cheerful...but he's also unashamedly WM. which is unusual. And there is a drop dead beautiful piano track from Samuel Yirga (sometime Dub Colossan), not Mr C's usual relentlessly upbeat tempo, so perhaps he has some licht und schatten after all.

Meanwhile back on r3, I reckon this is a don't miss... (even though you could argue quite successfully this has nothing to do with WM - I'm going down the LJ route)

If Chimes Could Whisper: The Strange Case Of The Glass Armonica SAT 28th April 12.15
                        Dame Evelyn Glennie celebrates the 250th birthday of one of the most unusual of all musical instruments - the Glass Armonica, invented by Benjamin Franklin in 1762.
                        In this programme, Dame Evelyn tries out the working instrument at the Benjamin Franklin House in London, sees an original example in the Horniman Museum and discovers the repertoire written for it by Mozart, Hasse and Donizetti.
                        Evelyn Glennis is an inspirational musician (to generations of sound impaired children) and the Glass Armonica isn't heard enough.
                        Then:-
                        World Routes goes off to Colombia on SUNDAY 29th at 10.30 pm - World Routes Academy 2012 protégé José Hernando visits Colombia to work with his mentor, celebrated accordionist Egidio Cuadrado.

Whilst on May 4 World On 3 11.00 - 01.00 am - Ganesh And Kumaresh are In Session with Lopa Kothari. A classical South Indian duo with electronic effects.

Looking further ahead, Max returns to Late Junction 8th-10th May with all the usual suspects (including a track from that rare Bat Chain Puller...) - Lygeti, Abdullah Ibrahmin, Sufjan Stevens, and, a pleasant surprise, Fela Kuti. That'll wake a few people up .

Makes you want to jump for joy doesn't it?

Comment

This really isn't going to turn into the glass Armonica thread (did someone say shame? Anyone?) but I synchronistically came across this link...
                          http://www.glassarmonica.com/index.php

I was reading about the infamous Dr Viper (Philip Thicknesse) an 18th century eccentric with far ranging extreme views, an eccentric lifestyle including extreme laudanum abuse yet who was happily married for decades to a veritable freethinking firebrand called Anne Forde who outraged society by playing the cello properly (that is, held between her legs).

It turned out she was also an accomplished devotee of the glass Armonica...

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                            This really isn't going to turn into the glass Armonica thread (did someone say shame? Anyone?) but I synchronistically came across this link...
                            http://www.glassarmonica.com/index.php

I was reading about the infamous Dr Viper (Philip Thicknesse) an 18th century eccentric with far ranging extreme views, an eccentric lifestyle including extreme laudanum abuse yet who was happily married for decades to a veritable freethinking firebrand called Anne Forde who outraged society by playing the cello properly (that is, held between her legs).

It turned out she was also an accomplished devotee of the glass Armonica...
                            I like the idea of playing the cello improperly - spike through the chin etc, Lat! Global's probably got an image handy to comply.
                            Anyway reminded me of a rain break in the test match one summer and Brian Johnston said that a small rodent had gone into a music shop down his way and asked the shop assistant for a Mouseorgan. Shop assistant says, "You know that's the funniest thing. There was a wee mouse in here not half an hour ago asking for the same thing." The mouse replied, "Oh that'll've been our Monica!"

Comment

I've been really struggling with Gilles peterson on 6 Music - bit too clubby for my liking when I've been listening - endless version of a perfectly good tune, that would have been fine for four or so minutes but drags on for another four - I've only lasted about twenty minutes so far. However I like the look of an hour with him with Tony Allen which happened yesterday, so I'll head there after Cerys I think - she played a blinding bit of Bollywood by Asha as her opening track this morning, by the way.
                              Gilles is joined by Nigerian drummer Tony Allen for an hour of words and Afrobeat music.

By the way Cerys has O'Hooley and Tidow on the show today.
                              Last edited by johncorrigan; 29-04-12, 10:27. Reason: forgot about O'Hooley and Tidow!

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                                I've been really struggling with Gilles peterson on 6 Music - bit too clubby for my liking when I've been listening - endless version of a perfectly good tune, that would have been fine for four or so minutes but drags on for another four - I've only lasted about twenty minutes so far. However I like the look of an hour with him with Tony Allen which happened yesterday, so I'll head there after Cerys I think - she played a blinding bit of Bollywood by Asha as her opening track this morning, by the way.
                                Gilles is joined by Nigerian drummer Tony Allen for an hour of words and Afrobeat music.

By the way Cerys has O'Hooley and Tidow on the show today.
                                Is that the feller Paul Sherratt hangs out with now on the r6 boards? It's someone like that. I must admit I've
                                Never bothered, & you haven't encouraged me. Whereas Cerys does play some good music. Wonder if Oilrig's sent r6 her CV?

Comment

Working...
                                X