Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.fipradio.fr/

FIP's the answer - a GB free zone. Why, they don't even broadcast the news at the top of the hour, just when they feel like it; or when something happens....can tend to get into a bit of a Jazz groove but there is some cracking stuff.

And thanks JC for the DID post - I caught her too, unnaturally cosmopolitan for them.

Comment

perhaps re frame your entire existence as 'seeking asylum elsewhere as a cultural refugee'? which is not my idea, it's one pinched from an american performer, and author of 'the psychic soviet', sometimes featured on john peel in the 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
        perhaps re frame your entire existence as 'seeking asylum elsewhere as a cultural refugee'? which is not my idea, it's one pinched from an american performer, and author of 'the psychic soviet', sometimes featured on john peel in the 90s.
        I am already in a slightly different time zone. Those who don't work - or go to school - are only kept partially in the current one because of the media. It has nothing whatsoever to do with clocks.

Can I just place on record here that I was never a fan of Take That or Gary Barlow. I watched a programme on the basis that Gazza was supposed to be delving into world music.

While the phrase "Lucy Duran has been doing this for several decades and with a million times more knowledge, depth and integrity" never left my mind, I was prepared to give him the benefit of doubt. It was all the "how this level of poverty is such a humbling experience" stuff that did it. He was even prepared to play on makeshift instruments.

A fortnight later and you can see why people were taken in by Pol Pot.

(These things upset me terribly - people are inclined to rationalise it all in terms of politics but there's a moral compass on my desk. It doesn't always work wonderfully well but when it does it is beyond that level of triviality. Everyone should own one.)
        Last edited by Guest; 22-06-12, 15:09.

Comment

Gazza was supposed to be delving into world music.

unlikely, he has no track record whatsoever of being remotely broad minded ..... the chances of merely plumping his bank balance were very high. sometimes a little cynicism can help protect a person from disappointment, anguish and regret.

alternatively, if he'd have been speaking in french, punjabi, or arabic, sir barlow might have been (a little) more believable....but he wasn't unfortunately.

a GB free zone. if i were you, take a leaf out of global's radio, and tune in to anything other than.

Comment

Khyam Allami + Maurice El Médioni were live on In Tune 4:30pm

Now On Listen Again

Comment

I'm grateful to Grauny's Elisabeth Maloney for pointing me to R2's programme about 'Shipbuilding' - some terrific contributions especially from Pat Kane, I thought - three days left if you want a lsten.
              Annie Nightingale ponders the impact of the Falklands war through the song 'Shipbuilding'.
              Last edited by johncorrigan; 30-06-12, 10:49. Reason: I wouldn't normally go there of course!

Comment

Mulatu Astake is on live on Cerys this morning - she's also playing some Canada Day stuff.
                Cerys has a session from Ethiopian jazz artist Mulatu Astatke and Brazilian artist Criolo.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                  Mulatu Astake is on live on Cerys this morning - she's also playing some Canada Day stuff.
                  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01kbx6f
                  And the ubiquitous Nitin Sawney is on Front Row on r4 this week, having just written a new score for an old silent Hitchcock movie.
                  Last edited by Globaltruth; 02-07-12, 22:04. Reason: Optional?

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                    And the ubiquitous Nitin Sawney is on Front Row on r4 this week, having just written a new score for an old silent Hitchcock movie.
                    That there Cerys, and I don't mean Hughes, has the Baaba Maal next Sunday morning - she seems to be doing something right - that first Astake tracky with the Brazilians was certainly not tacky. (just at the back of the 11.30 news, by the way)
                    Last edited by johncorrigan; 03-07-12, 00:21. Reason: I need a nice breakfast emotie for Cerys!

Comment

Not exactly on anyone's schedule but just back from a Dr John concert of high fabulousness in Strasbourg. Part of the 23rd Jazz & Blues fest.
                      Recommended.
                      Purple suit quotient = high.
                      Marks out of 10 for superb trombonists = 11.
                      Encores = lots

Right place, right time.

Comment

sounds like a great night globaltruth - hope you got your pigs finished in time btw

Comment

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
                          sounds like a great night globaltruth - hope you got your pigs finished in time btw
                          The pigs have been, gone, & are coming back to take up residence in an outhouse after posing for an extensive photoshoot. Some of which may end up here when (in)appropriate.

Dr J was support act for Trombone Shorty, who should by rights be on the jazzers pages. But that's ok, we didn't stick around to see him.

Missed Ibrahim Malouf previous night due to Maggie Thatcher not signing the Schengen agreement in 1985.

Can confirm not mUch WM in Strasbourg - Plenty of hot air though. Thankfully just passing through...

Comment

Caught this in the car on R4 yesterday morning - thought it was really interesting to get the punk dimension in the middle of the Northern Ireland troubles.
                            Alan Dein meets figurehead of the Northern Irish punk scene, Terri Hooley.

Comment

The pigs have been, gone, & are coming back to take up residence in an outhouse after posing for an extensive photoshoot. Some of which may end up here when (in)appropriate.

what great news globaltruth! pig photo in a bucket shot for us all to share! yummy.

Plenty of hot air though. hey! we've got that here + rain till august apparently.

tanks for the nth ireland punk rec jc, (and also for those links to the singing chap, and the other one on the pipe fromt 80s, on another thread somewhere...both fabulous performers ).

Comment

Working...
                              X