No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some r3 shows:

World Routes July 14 10.15 - 11.15
    Lucy Duran hosts a round table discussion with leading writers and academics of West Africa's post-independence dance band music, at the French Institute in in Bamako, Mali.
    Joined around the table is Malian journalist Adam Thiam, Professor John Collins from the University of Ghana, French record collector Florent Mazzoleni, Nigerian-American writer Uchenna Ikonne and expert on the music of Guinea, Graeme Counsel.

They discuss how the period of cultural-authenticity sowed the seeds of modern music rooted in traditional values, and how today's musicians navigate the tricky ideals of modernity, tradition and authenticity.
    The Essay: Under The Influence Mon 16th 10.45-11.00pm
    This week features essays from folk musician Jon Boden, world-famous choreographer Shobana Jeyasingh and poet Kei Miller.
    Monday: Jon Boden is a folk musician who loves post-apocalyptic literature like The Changes Trilogy by Peter Dickinson and Cormac McCarthy's The Road. But he believed that this was at odds with his role as a performer of traditional English song, which celebrates a bucolic idyll.

After becoming a father he began to consider the implications of contemporary geo-politics. In this essay, he addresses the idea that with the end to an oil-dependent economy, reality and the post-apocalyptic fictional world could coincide. Might this lead to a world closer to that described in traditional song?
    World Routes July 21 10.15 - 11.15
    A review of new world music albums and a studio session with a Mali-Brazil collaboration, featuring kora virtuoso Toumani Diabaté with songwriter Arnaldo Antunes and guitarist Edgard Scandurra.
    Toumani Diabaté first collaborated with Arnaldo Antunes and Edgard Scandurra at the 2010 Back2Black Festival in Rio de Janeiro. He then invited them to Bamako to record an album, and they were in the UK in early July for London's own Back2Black Festival.

The album A Curva Da Cintura was released in June, and both the album and this World Routes session feature Toumani's son, Sidiki.

Comment

and some not on r3..

Monday 16 July
      4.00-4.30pm
      BBC RADIO 4

With Great Pleasure
      Singer and broadcaster Cerys Matthews shares some of her favourite pieces of poetry and music. With poet John Siddique and cellist Julia Kent.
      Producer/Christine Hal
      Almost an honorary r3 presenter...

Tuesday 17 July
      11.30-12.00pm
      BBC RADIO 4

Madam Mao's Golden Oldies
      Anna Chen revisits the Chinese Cultural Revolution Model Operas that she first saw as a child and discovers how they are, somewhat surprisingly, enjoying a new lease of life.
      Saturday 21 July
      9.00-12.00am
      BBC RADIO 6 MUSIC

The Tom Robinson Show
      Tom Robinson chats to Peter Gabriel about his illustrious career and the 30th anniversary of the Womad festival, which takes place next weekend.
      The original frontman with seminal progressive rockers Genesis, Peter left the band in 1975 and between 1977 and 1982 he released four albums, all self-titled. However it was the release of his So album in 1986, three years in the making, that really broke him into the mainstream. He has since released two further studio albums and made music for film soundtracks and projects including the Millennium Dome.

Peter has had a long-term interest in world music and in 1980 was a co-founder of Womad, which celebrates the world's many forms of music, arts and dance. In 1982 they put on their first festival and have staged festivals in the UK and some other locations every year since then.

Comment

You may remember the refugee from the World Service who turned up on the internet?

Well, the Radio Derby folk music show, FolkWaves, presented by a couple of aged stalwarts has also appeared there too

http://www.ukfolkmusic.co.uk/folkwaves.php

You can guess the kind of music...

Comment

Can't say that I take hugely to Simon McBurney but quite an interesting selection from him on DID. Track 6 was excellent:

- http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features...7cd36#b01kr7q1

Somehow the BBC have managed to forget to include the 7th and the 8th in the above list. The 8th was quite incredible, if rather unsettling, a 'call of the wild' style song from a 12 year old singer in Mongolia.

Comment

thanks for tips about woody btw (on r4 yesterday eve). i think mr h will enjoy tom robinson talking to peter gabriel.

ideally, i would like to be able to say that this weekend i was here:

but i wasn't.

instead i was bailing out my cellar which flooded, but mulatu helped enormously.

Comment

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post

but i wasn't.

instead i was bailing out my cellar which flooded, but mulatu helped enormously.
              His ability with a bailer is legendary.

He even helped out here apparently...

Comment

Storyville on BBC4 at 11.00 is about Miriam Makeba.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                  Storyville on BBC4 at 11.00 is about Miriam Makeba.
                  I thought it was great - like the weather on Iona today, and my golf, though the water was a touch hillbilly.
                  Last edited by johncorrigan; 25-07-12, 21:14. Reason: I wasn't golfing in the ocean by the way...just in case you thought I hit a stray shotortwo!

Comment

Cerys has Tinariwen playing this morning.

Comment

I found June Tabor's readings and songs in 'With Great Pleasure' on R4 this afternoon very moving and a bit witty too.
                      Eminent folk singer June Tabor presents extracts from her favourite books and poems.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                        I found June Tabor's readings and songs in 'With Great Pleasure' on R4 this afternoon very moving and a bit witty too.
                        http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01l7qk9
                        Thank you for that tip John. I will listen to it with interest.

Comment

And here's one from the outer reaches of the Internet , not listened to yet

Robert Crumb makes a guest appearance, even a bit of video...

http://www.eastriverstringband.com/radioshow/?p=264

Whilst listening you may want to read this article
                          http://www.offbeat.com/2012/08/01/ne...f-the-century/

Comment

And here's one from the outer reaches of the Internet , not listened to yet

Robert Crumb makes a guest appearance, even a bit of video...

http://www.eastriverstringband.com/radioshow/?p=264

Whilst listening you may want to read this article
                            http://www.offbeat.com/2012/08/01/ne...f-the-century/
                            Thanks Global - what a great broadcaster R Crumb is - I've still got a couple of tapes from a couple of programmes he made for R3 a buncha years back - come on Rog get back with the beat - RC's only over in France for goodness sake - get him back on - great to hear some stuff from his world music 78s - the first one is wild and seems to feature torturing cats. Great show!
                            Wouldn't you just love a week or two in that room?
                            Last edited by johncorrigan; 31-07-12, 22:38. Reason: wonder if there's a package holiday to R Crumb's record room.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                              Thanks Global - what a great broadcaster R Crumb is - I've still got a couple of tapes from a couple of programmes he made for R3 a buncha years back - come on Rog get back with the beat - RC's only over in France for goodness sake - get him back on - great to hear some stuff from his world music 78s - the first one is wild and seems to feature torturing cats. Great show!
                              Wouldn't you just love a week or two in that room?
                              Now I've listened...think we may have to lobby Max or Oilrig - they get a trip to the South of France...maybe we should go?

A cracking show, pleasingly amateur & some great old songs, yes,odd sounds in the background.

Comment

Now I've listened...think we may have to lobby Max or Oilrig - they get a trip to the South of France...maybe we should go?

A cracking show, pleasingly amateur & some great old songs, yes,odd sounds in the background.
                                Great idea, G! Now, where'd I put that passport?

Comment

Working...
                                X