Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grand isn't it - I can't get there either ( Candi's sold out already btw, no surprise )

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
      Grand isn't it - I can't get there either ( Candi's sold out already btw, no surprise )
      What a voice!

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
        Is there a BBC radio show about this anywhere in the schedules?

Hopefully the answer is 'there will be'

Irrespective of religious beliefs this should be wonderful...but I can't get to it

http://mif.co.uk/event/sacred-sites/

Candi Staton and Dya Singh? why not...
        Well, from the perspective of a world music enthusiast, I guess it is a good news / bad news scenario. There are 45 minute programmes each day next week at 2300. But of course that takes 45 minutes out of Jo3, LJ and Wo3. Lopa Kothari is presenting them all.

Comment

Originally posted by zola View Post
          Well, from the perspective of a world music enthusiast, I guess it is a good news / bad news scenario. There are 45 minute programmes each day next week at 2300. But of course that takes 45 minutes out of Jo3, LJ and Wo3. Lopa Kothari is presenting them all.
          Thanks Zola - good news overall IMO.

Comment

the power of the voice in worship around the globe

Here's yer actual link to the first of the shows
            http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b012fr9f - it's the sort of programme that I think Lopa will do quite well (not many laughs..)

If I was curating this particular event and had access to anyone anywhere anytime, here are a couple of people I'd invite...

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_761S5Kg0AE

Mercan Dede - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCKzdFh_CQA

Oxford Camerata - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QTnyR2qO-8
            (and if they could sing with Candi Staton,or other similar that would be just fine and dandy with me)

The famous Davies Sisters - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpZMKVf0MHs

Who would you invite?

I think there needs to be more breadth in terms of the religions considered...

Comment

Well he's been dead for 33 years but that shouldn't stop you inviting :

Brother Claude Ely

After all, there ain't no grave gonna hold his body down.

And who on a rainy night in Manchester would be better to confirm that there's a leak in this old building.
              Definitely overdue a R3 airin' is the man. So with any luck who knows ...

Bro Claude Ely. 21st July 1922 to 7th May 1978. "Cryin' Holy unto the Lord". This was recorded on the 12th October 1953. Obviously influenced by Bill Monroe,...

And no need to invite JC as he'll be there anyway
              For the complete work please visit www.TheJohnnyCashProject.comA UNIQUE COMMUNAL WORK, A LIVING PORTRAIT OF THE MAN IN BLACKThrough this interactive website,...
              Last edited by Guest; 06-07-11, 08:50.

Comment

Well he's not been dead as long as was thought but I'd love to see this guy resurrected for the show.
                East Texan Phillips was one of the founding fathers of american gospel music. He recordet 18 songs between 1927-1929. He played the dolceola, a rare keyboard...

Comment

Magical, that man Washington, John.

Comment

Originally posted by zola View Post
                    But of course that takes 45 minutes out of Jo3, LJ and Wo3.
                    Bastards.

Comment

Who would you invite?

I think there needs to be more breadth in terms of the religions considered...
                      I have a spot for a Gregorian chant (a nice one on yesterday) but the devil has all the best tunes.

Comment

And now, moving too quickly from the sublime ....you may or may not remember my post about The Old Grey Whistle Test, Andy Cutting and Roger Daltry.

All true as it happens, guys and gals, to be broadcast on (ahem) r2. Yes with Bob H. I shall listen to the session featuring Andy Cutting who is a boxman extra-ordinaire....

Comment

over to Bejing for a rolling performance to be added to the schedule

Performance artist Yan Jun is inviting people in Beijing to book him for shows in their living rooms through till September. Send Jun an email with a date, and he'll roll up to your house and play a set, which will differ depending on the space and the equipment (you don't need to provide anything). Jun says he could play anything from electronic feedback, sound installations to shows involving guest artists, or the Heart Beat Project, where Jun and an individual audience member look each other in the eye and try to hear one another's heartbeat.

For more info, or to book Yan Jun, email subjam[at]gmail.com. Beijing your house, July–September, 50RMB.

Comment

I wonder

Again, this isn't on the BBC schedule, but there is a link between Lucy and SOAS,

So I wonder what this station is like?

soasradio.org/

Comment

Again, this isn't on the BBC schedule, but there is a link between Lucy and SOAS,

So I wonder what this station is like?

soasradio.org/
                              I had a wee listen to the guy you were mentioning elsewhere Global - thought it was here - the Hackney Global Trotter was it - he was playing some fine records but he's another one who could talk Andy out the window - I found myself shouting ' get on with the tunes'.

Cerys doesn't do that - she had a fine playlist today including this three in a row which I really enjoyed
                              Nidi d'Arac — Ahi Tamburieddhu!
                              Glen Washington — Rockers Nuh Crackers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtO0Jgexjrs
                              DeVotchKa — Contrabanda
                              The guest however was a (c)rapper

Great Sunday morning listening in the main really!

Comment

Them thar hills

It's time for the Dawson City music festival, (www.dcmf.com) where grizzlies outnumber people and performers get paid in flakes of gold. Pause a moment to consider how Etran Finatawa may feel...no desert, but I'm sure they'll go down a storm.

Meanwhile back here on the Outer Hebrides excitement mounts, a day to go before Heb Celt Fest kicks off and a session of spontaneous dancing broke out in front of Murdo Macleod's clothes shop yesterday aft.

Comment

Working...
                                X