Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.....I have just realised from looking at the map that Ardgour must be fairly close to Glencoe. On my one and only visit to Scotland 39 years ago, Glencoe was my favourite place. Actually I fell in the water there but the summer was so hot my clothes were dry within minutes. We did go to Fort William because on that part of the journey we stayed in Corpach. The previous stop had been Arrochar but when we came back from the north it was further east through Pitlochry.

I can remember from the Campbells' documentary that it was a very special place. It does though seem a very long way from a town of any size. I doubt whether many soon-to-be 50-something people from Surrey relocate there but I could be wrong. It would be a fascinating thing to do. Still can't quite get a handle on the crofters places. Presumably most on the market are habitable and many are very nice indeed.

This feels like musing. I am not sufficiently bold to ask Oilrig to be Kirstie Allsopp on my behalf. It would be too much of a liberty. Guess there is always that idea of learning again to play Malaguena on the guitar and heading for the Watercolour studios.
    Last edited by Guest; 29-08-12, 13:21.

Comment

Haven't heard these shows that Strummer recorded for the World Service at the turn of the century but 6 Music are re-running them to mark his impending sixtieth. Not sure how many there are but they're going out nightly - or morningly!

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
        Haven't heard these shows that Strummer recorded for the World Service at the turn of the century but 6 Music are re-running them to mark his impending sixtieth. Not sure how many there are but they're going out nightly - or morningly!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01mgqd9
        Thank you for that tip which is of interest. I liked the house he had in Broomfield.

Where would he have gone next?

Not an easy day. I still can't quite decide between Balblair, Culbokie and Jemimaville.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-09-12, 00:47.

Comment

There was also this which we missed...
          http://www.strummeroflove.com/

Terrible name, guess it was tough to find rhymes for Mellor? (over to you JC)

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
            Terrible name, guess it was tough to find rhymes for Mellor? (over to you JC)
            Mellstrum - might have worked this summer, G!!!!!!!! I'll get me coat.

Comment

Mellstrum - might have worked this summer, G!!!!!!!! I'll get me coat.

I woke up at 11.45pm expecting to hear MAK. Couldn't believe it when Max spoke. I really thought it was Friday. Good programme nonetheless.

It was such a pity that Joe went at 50. I see that Mick Jones's cousin, Grant Shapps, honoured the anniversary by changing the legislation on squatting.

Obviously there are pluses and minuses but arguably there would have been no Clash if Joe had not lived originally in squats.

Comment

Hearing Ragas

Had to journey to Perth today and chanced on this quite wonderful programme about the piece 'Towards Silence' by Tavener and the near death experience of Paul Robertson - fantastic soundscape, amazing story and really well presented. The phrase ' this is what radio is about' just about does the programme justice.

Paul Robertson's remarkable story of the Indian ragas he heard from within a coma
                Last edited by johncorrigan; 07-09-12, 14:04. Reason: loved it!

Comment

Had to journey to Perth today and chanced on this quite wonderful programme about the piece 'Towards Silence' by Tavener and the near death experience of Paul Robertson - fantastic soundscape, amazing story and really well presented. The phrase ' this is what radio is about' just about does the programme justice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01mf7nd
                  At tonight's Paralympic closing ceremony,
                  Amongst the interminable Coldplay keen students of WM may have spotted Baluji Shrivastav in Charles Hazelwood's Paraorchestra. Couldn't hear him play a note obviously, but he was all there with sitar & tablas.

Comment

At tonight's Paralympic closing ceremony,
                    Amongst the interminable Coldplay keen students of WM may have spotted Baluji Shrivastav in Charles Hazelwood's Paraorchestra. Couldn't hear him play a note obviously, but he was all there with sitar & tablas.
                    Can't decide whether you're enjoying yourself G. Didn't see it tonight ( I heard Coldplay were on and got cold feet) - I got caught up in catching up with Prom 74 and after a wee bit of a ropey start SBB really rocked it - great playing and it sounded like the audience were have a fine time of it - didn't spot loads of Baloji in there - think I'll dig the SBB film out for another watch.

I'm amused that on the i-player page it says 'More like this' - The Choir with Aled Jones - haven't listened to that for a while - they must have upped the ante lately.
                    Last edited by johncorrigan; 09-09-12, 22:32. Reason: took me four shots to get there!

Comment

Visually i enjoyed it. I enjoyed a tweet from Andy Cutting about Coldplay
                      you mean you can't even sing your own songs in tune?
                      Not a fan of stadium rock...moving on...

Charlie Gillett, late of this parish, had a soft spot for a group called Saltpeter, in particular their lead singer for whom the word 'feisty' probably was invented.
                      Her name is Selena Godden.
                      As a result of his recommendation & interest I've casually tracked her & the band's progress & output ever since.not just music...poetry, publishing, performance.

Today her programme on Jamaica & 50 years of independence was repeated on r4,it will still be there on iPlayer too.
                      I liked her fluid & lyrical use of language in the programme...Reckon old CG was a fair judge of talent.
                      Here's her web site with a link to that programme right at the front:

(JC - we're happily Memphis Jug Banding at the mo..courtesy of yr good self - ta)

Comment

Visually i enjoyed it. Today her programme on Jamaica & 50 years of independence was repeated on r4,it will still be there on iPlayer too.
                        I liked her fluid & lyrical use of language in the programme...Reckon old CG was a fair judge of talent.
                        Here's her web site with a link to that programme right at the front:
                        http://www.salenagodden.com/
                        I heard it today by chance Global and enjoyed her voice very much.

By the way I had a listen to this week's Shed and he played 'Dallas' by the Flatlanders along with a crazy lookin' buncha Scots and some SBB. Nice. As Mark said, the Paralympic organisers should have had Staff Benda Bilili along for last night's show and after listening to the Prom I'm not one to disagree - I'm a Bililiever!

Comment

Africa Express

Somewhere on this thread is a post about Damon Albarn's Africa Express tour from me. It's a neutral info post.

Well, today's Froots mag has turned up with a coruscating acidic attack on Messrs Albarn & Birrell, the tour's organisers by Ian Anderson, the magazine's editor.
                          He describes the train tour as the
                          The 21st Century musical equivalent of handing out strings of beads in exchange for fertile land & mineral deposits
                          Further...
                          This whole exercise is being carried out by those kind of middle aged white males who have very little real knowledge or deep love of our own cultural roots and so are always looking for somebody elses's to appropriate
                          His editorials are always worth reading & I apologise for selective quoting - but I'm not sure this is entirely fair though, even though I am no fan of D. Albarn's output...

* if this tour brings this kind of music to a few new listeners then it will have been worth it
                          * the African musicians presumably joined the tour of their own volition using their own judgment & were paid a reasonable fee
                          * personally I don't subscribe to the idea of a 'qualification' prerequisite - in this case, a tick in the box of your cultural roots..

The article concludes with Mr A singing the praises of the 'world music' campaign of the 80's.

Oh dear - that was over 30 years ago,times have moved on - is it perhaps sour grapes that those Britpop nouveau arrivistes have dared challenge the old order?

Interestingly it appears that he did not go to any of the tour dates, and nor have I - is there anyone out there who did?

That's the real test.

Comment

Somewhere on this thread is a post about Damon Albarn's Africa Express tour from me. It's a neutral info post.

is there anyone out there who did?

That's the real test.
                            Not me G - they played Glasgow but it was a Tuesday evening. I thought it looked interesting and DA's got some interesting influences. However I always feel that his music centrifuges down to a lower denominator than the sum of the parts, so even had I gone it would have been with some trepidation. It did get a five star review from the Graun for its Manchester leg, but other reviews were less favourable. It's that old playground thing - 'whose ball is it?' There's a couple of films made by the guys who made the Benda Bilili doc.
                            A glimpse at life on the Africa Express train. Damon Albarn welcomes musicians on board before they set off on a week-long tour around Britain

....i

they're after the nappyad!!!!!

...and apparently macca showed up for a couple of tunes, but not our macca...the other one. I liked the guy skateboarding on the train.

Comment

Bit of a World music beginner, or rather, never really started -er..but caught Red Baraat's session on Friday night....absolutely excellent....some other good stuff on the show also.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                Bit of a World music beginner, or rather, never really started -er..but caught Red Baraat's session on Friday night....absolutely excellent....some other good stuff on the show also.
                                Good to see you over here with the late-nighters, ts. I thought that Red Barat built up very nicely to their crescendo though Lopa and Sunny did go on a bit. Always great to hear the magnificent voice of Wendo Kolosoy, and I loved the Janka Nabay and the Bubu Gang track 'Feba'. Over the last few weeks there's been a fair bit of The Touré-Raichel Collective getting played and I keep thinking it's better than I'm expecting it to be, if you know what I mean.
                                I see Lopa's got a bit of Ethiopian Krar Collective next week. Cerys was playing some on Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                                X