Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    Good to see you over here with the late-nighters, ts. I thought that Red Barat built up very nicely to their crescendo though Lopa and Sunny did go on a bit. Always great to hear the magnificent voice of Wendo Kolosoy, and I loved the Janka Nabay and the Bubu Gang track 'Feba'. Over the last few weeks there's been a fair bit of The Touré-Raichel Collective getting played and I keep thinking it's better than I'm expecting it to be, if you know what I mean.
    I see Lopa's got a bit of Ethiopian Krar Collective next week. Cerys was playing some on Sunday.
    Oh yes...absolutely..cough cough..stares at feet trying to hide utter ignorance.. !! Anyway, it sounded a quality show...I shall try to pop in here a bit more...oh and as ever, your recommendations for the best stuff would be appreciated. What is hot right now?I am right off the scale of ignorance on WM...though I did buy a Gogol Bordello album once...don't suppose that counts?

Edit, I have always fancied going to Womad...Honest !!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      Bit of a World music beginner, or rather, never really started -er..but caught Red Baraat's session on Friday night....absolutely excellent....some other good stuff on the show also.
      Just caught up with it - yes, yes & yes. They'd be great live I'm sure.

As someone pointed elsewhere preferable to the Nick Luscombe prog rock

( note to moderator - this crosses at least 3 threads, it's a mashup weaving ting & ting; no regrets...now who is that lazy mod? What's that? Going out. Gaah.)

Comment

Private Passions on today at 12 already available on LA, it's Film director Joe Wright.

Anoushka Shankar's husband - does that guarantee a choice of music worth listening to?

You decide...

Comment

doctor lucy was interesting last night, chatting to morrocan women who sing in 'mainstream' arabic....and one even dared to move to egypt. the woman who once had her arm broken by male and female elders, just for singing (without her dad present) ...was best of the two imo.

always great to hear the doc in action.... and last night was no exception.

Comment

.I shall try to pop in here a bit more...

good thinking team saint! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-Sqo...eature=related

you can always test if people are reading your posts or not, by just making the names up entirely, like this: 'i thought ebdywarinari threenadgers was on excellent form on soapy's show, although a smidgeon out of tune on her maron cajones, which seemed to wander off here and there throughout the performance'....

bet you can't do that on other threads eh! plus there's a fantastic selection of retro pics courtesy of global truth..... what more could a poster ask for?!

Comment

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
              Always good to hear from you, oh handsome one - there's not many of us left over here - nice playing from that wee guy.

Comment

Global,

I decided ... not to bother !
                My favourite PP episode contained these tunes :

1: Toot Nipple (from John's Book of Alleged Dances) by John Adams
                Kronos Quartet

2: Morphine (from Hell Among the Yearlings) by Gillian Welch

3: Deep Eddy Blues by Jimmy Dale Gilmore

4: Rose Marie (from Down at the Skyvue Drive-In) by Don Walser & Kronos Quartet

5: Jelly Roll Rag (from Max Roach Presents The Uptown String Quartet) by
                The Uptown String Quartet

6: Spiritual (from Beyond the Missouri Sky) by
                Charley Haden and Pat Metheny

7: Los Illegales by Valerio Longoria

8: Hommage à Edith Piaf (from 15 Improvisations) by Francis Poulenc
                Eric Parkin (piano)

9: Les Flames d’Enfer (from Lou’siana Dance Party) by Austin Pitre

Enjoyed it so much that the guest and I swapped notes and records for a short time

Now I am looking forward, for various reasons, to the 'Strictly Private Passions' season, later in the year

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                  Always good to hear from you, oh handsome one - there's not many of us left over here - nice playing from that wee guy.
                  you too jc!

qualiee doesn't come in huge quantities as a rule of thumb

a little more from the complicated childs' play of 'the wee', this time from burma http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen (who eventually parked up in the pale blue vw i wonder)?!

Hell Among the Yearlings by Gillian Welch such a great title for a collection of songs i always think.

Comment

Doc Durán & James Parkin would have recorded those Burmese youngsters like a shot, handsome.

Gillian Welch, top, top artist, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                      Global,

I decided ... not to bother !
                      My favourite PP episode contained these tunes :

4: Rose Marie (from Down at the Skyvue Drive-In) by Don Walser & Kronos Quartet
                      Enjoyed it so much that the guest and I swapped notes and records for a short time
                      When my son were a good bit younger than today, he had a real thing about tractors, and John Deeres in particular, Paul, and I had - probably still have - a tape of Don Walser with the John Deere Tractor song on it - we nearly wore that one out I can tell you. I see what you mean about that PP - wish I'd heard it - she's one of my favourite writers - JDG fits right in there - she looks like an ideal candidate for OP to get in for a forthcoming LJ.

Comment

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post

good thinking team saint! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-Sqo...eature=related

you can always test if people are reading your posts or not, by just making the names up entirely, like this: 'i thought ebdywarinari threenadgers was on excellent form on soapy's show, although a smidgeon out of tune on her maron cajones, which seemed to wander off here and there throughout the performance'....

bet you can't do that on other threads eh! plus there's a fantastic selection of retro pics courtesy of global truth..... what more could a poster ask for?!

I might just stay here and leave the other threads alone...but I would NEVER make anything up...not even to test if people are reading the posts. Oh no. Certainly not. deffo.
                        (I guess slang is very much "in " round here ? have to watch your P's and Q's on other parts of the forum !)
                        Anyway, got distracted by Stravinsky this week, so my new found enthusiasm for World has taken a back seat.
                        Any recommendations for something hot, please?
                        Cheers.
                        Edit...the Burmese kids singing is a lot better than their knowledge of the green cross code. And the other kid can drum a bit !
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

oooh....I have something positive to contribute for once !!

Session A9 on Friday. Saw them at Wickham this year, and they were one of my highlights. Played a really excellent set after a ludicrously early drive(3 AM) from Scotland down to Hampshire.
                          Don't miss if you like Scottish type stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            oooh....I have something positive to contribute for once !!

Session A9 on Friday. Saw them at Wickham this year, and they were one of my highlights. Played a really excellent set after a ludicrously early drive(3 AM) from Scotland down to Hampshire.
                            Don't miss if you like Scottish type stuff.
                            I like Scottish stuff, sainty - MAK of course! and especially Karine....sorry for keeping posting!

Do you frequent the spotty world? I loved this from Lopa's Wo3 the other week - Feba by Janka Nabay.
                            Janka Nabay and the Bubu Gang · Song · 2012

....and I'm enjoying the sound of The Spy from Cairo doing Taksim Square - not sure why.....just do.

Don't worry about grammar and stuff over here, by the way...our moderator sorts it for us!

Comment

Saw Karine Polwart at Wickham..late night in a hall with a respectful audience , in preference to seeing KT Tunstall in the main tent.( not a difficult choice TBF). Great choice, she was spellbinding.

I don't really spotify...time seems so short, what with work, Stravinsky etc etc...but will am checking your two other links.

I REALLY like the idea of mods sorting grammar...

Comment

Nice wee prog on Radio 4 this morning called 'the voices of Robert Wyatt'.
                                An intimate portrait of the musician Robert Wyatt in his own words and music.

Comment

Working...
                                X