Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just spotted Maxy on a programme on Beeb 4 about Klezmer that's on tonight on the Timeshift strand.

Michael Grade narrates the story of the Jewish folk music known as klezmer.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      Just spotted Maxy on a programme on Beeb 4 about Klezmer that's on tonight on the Timeshift strand.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01n8hdj
      Well worth a watch that was - some very fine old film that looked like a bunch of Global's stills that he posts - and needless to say some terrific music too - very interesting, I thought.

Comment

In late '80, early '81, I went to see Siouxsie and the Banshees at the Apollo in Glasgow - blinkin' amazin' it was, I seem to recall. So much so that I went through to see them again the next night in Edinburgh where they played a completely different set and were still brilliant. I remembered this yesterday in the motor listening to this rather enjoyable wee programme, 'Spellbound', on BBC R4.
        Miranda Sawyer looks at one of music's most distinctive artists Siouxsie and the Banshees.

Comment

coincidentally?

We take a trip back to the NME in 1978 to hear from Siouxsie Sioux in our latest visit to Rock's Backpages, the world's leading archive of vintage music journalism

Comment

very fine old film that looked like a bunch of Global's stills

sounds terrific!.

Comment

I've thought about this link carefully before posting - it is to a piece written by an old chum of mine & concerns his reaction to a new documentary about an old drummer. I'm posting the link because I think it is of interest, there is a link to Afrobeat - and, I must admit, I think it's neatly written. I'm not promoting the documentary in any way, and I haven't seen it.

http://www.trebuchet-magazine.com/beware-of-mr-baker/

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                I've thought about this link carefully before posting - it is to a piece written by an old chum of mine & concerns his reaction to a new documentary about an old drummer. I'm posting the link because I think it is of interest, there is a link to Afrobeat - and, I must admit, I think it's neatly written. I'm not promoting the documentary in any way, and I haven't seen it.

http://www.trebuchet-magazine.com/beware-of-mr-baker/
                I'm going to look out for that one Global - looks interesting. Certainly continues a bit of the picture of him that we saw recently in the documentary about Jack Bruce - or was that only shown up here?

Comment

an interesting site that global truth. as a fair review it's convincing ....

it depends what a person thinks is the worse sin:

punching someone for (allegedly) being insulting?

or 'pressing' someone to cry................for personal gain?! i think film maker adam curtis might claim that pressing people to cry, emote, is the greater sin ...has been over exploited over the last few decades or so. apparently, to the detriment of authenticity, which people now find 'boring' as there's no/little crying/hugging/personal 'confession' which can become addictive.

what does swp stand for, or is it secret?

i don't think 'the sugar man' does crying...seems quite triumphant ... in comparison.

i can imagine debate being stifled at an nft event....without much problem at all mind you. though at least an apology was made after ....apparently.

i can see that a karen dalton movie might well be a tear jerker: the cliched story of wimpgirl .....(when she was nothing of the kind). any film maker may also have to wait till a few more music business entrepreneurs pass on too .... in case of litigation.

'i am not going to sue you, i am going to punch you instead' makes for a 'refreshing' response, and from such an iconic figure as ginge! it seems impressively straight forward, somehow, in a way that 'i am going to put a super injunction on you' seems unsatisfactory in terms of ideas about 'fair play'! but from the clip i imagine that the film maker is interested in emphasising 'the mad violence of a genius drummer' .... as a reliable cliche, rather than anything more original.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                    John, you'll know the answer to this. Why are there virtually no photos of KP where her teeth are visible?
                    It's an important question !

Paul, I don't know the answer to this, but a number of years ago me and my son went to see the Orcadian duo, the Wrigley Sisters, in the Iona Library. They said that Orcadian people tend to talk with their mouths shut because it's so windy up there that otherwise you end up with a faceful of chip pokes. Is that close?
                    Mind you I just noticed that she was born in Banknock, and if I came from there I might be persuaded to keep schtum about it.

Comment

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
                      an interesting site that global truth. as a fair review it's convincing ....

it depends what a person thinks is the worse sin:

punching someone for (allegedly) being insulting?

or 'pressing' someone to cry................for personal gain?! i think film maker adam curtis might claim that pressing people to cry, emote, is the greater sin ...has been over exploited over the last few decades or so. apparently, to the detriment of authenticity, which people now find 'boring' as there's no/little crying/hugging/personal 'confession' which can become addictive.

what does swp stand for, or is it secret?

i don't think 'the sugar man' does crying...seems quite triumphant ... in comparison.

i can imagine debate being stifled at an nft event....without much problem at all mind you. though at least an apology was made after ....apparently.

i can see that a karen dalton movie might well be a tear jerker: the cliched story of wimpgirl .....(when she was nothing of the kind). any film maker may also have to wait till a few more music business entrepreneurs pass on too .... in case of litigation.

'i am not going to sue you, i am going to punch you instead' makes for a 'refreshing' response, and from such an iconic figure as ginge! it seems impressively straight forward, somehow, in a way that 'i am going to put a super injunction on you' seems unsatisfactory in terms of ideas about 'fair play'! but from the clip i imagine that the film maker is interested in emphasising 'the mad violence of a genius drummer' .... as a reliable cliche, rather than anything more original.
                      Thanks for this review of a review...let's leave further discussion of both SWP as the enigma he strives to be & the undoubted popularity of reliable cliches for the moment as, it seems, we must discuss questions of dentistry, although, for the live of me, I'm not sure what relevance this has to a persons musical output - unless it is whistling through the aforementioned? Off to the photo archives for me...

Last edited by Globaltruth; 18-10-12, 08:13. Reason: Not your average molars those

Comment

unless it is whistling through the aforementioned? Off to the photo archives for me...

Global, your incisive posting recalled that yesteryears BeeGees' hit favoured by mooth investigators - Massivechewsets.

....and hsf, a film about KD is indeed an interesting thought!

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                          Global, your incisive posting recalled that yesteryears BeeGees' hit favoured by mooth investigators - Massivechewsets.

....and hsf, a film about KD is indeed an interesting thought!
                          well, JC, these particular ones belonged to George Washington; the tooth and nothing but the whole tooth.
                          As he once almost said: "Tooth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light"

Comment

well, JC, these particular ones belonged to George Washington; the tooth and nothing but the whole tooth.
                            As he once almost said: "Tooth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light"
                            Wood you believe it, G!

Comment

ooops i forgot to post:

thanks to jc for the doc about jewish & gypsy roots - there was some great old clips, (and that chap on the violin demonstrating the difference in scales was ace - it saved acres of conversation about 'difference')! being as the main conclusion seemed to be that all sorts of people embrace the music of 19th c wedding ceremonies now, incorporating it into virtually any style of music.

fancy dennis pennis being in the film too....! i couldn't believe my eyes - i loved his comb over - 5 but oh, haven't his teeth suffered! understandably as his tv personality was very cheeky in deed, he may have tried the same at home....(or locally)!

anyway back to massivetoothsets, and the tooth and nothing but.

Comment

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
                                (and that chap on the violin demonstrating the difference in scales was ace - it saved acres of conversation about 'difference')!
                                Bang on handsome - picture worth a thousand words etc - my daughter even found it interesting - great hats I thought. There was one bit about Hassidic Jews chanting in a Synagogue and they all had great hats, and as someone who can never get a hat to fit I was truly jealous.

Comment

Working...
                                X