Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and beards....wished i could grow one, smart with the hat!

Hassidic Jews chanting in a Synagogue

i used to live in lampard rd, n16, at the beginning of the street was just such a place (probably still is)....though you couldn't see much.....just blurred figures and movement through frosted glass.

interesting comparison with sufi rituals in the doc. personally, i could go a doc on that subject.... plus the musical comparisons.

Comment

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post

interesting comparison with sufi rituals in the doc. personally, i could go a doc on that subject.... plus the musical comparisons.
      HF - I am on an ongoing quest to attend a concert of Sufi music & dancing...hard to find; I will, of course, post here if such a thing occurs. Unless anyone knows of anything? I should maybe check out Dr D's SOAS website...

There are some good YouTube items - I'll try and hunt them down later and share, but not the same.
      We may have to travel abroad to find such a thing.

Comment

I will get round to retitling this thread, as soon as I work out what it should be called...

anyway, here's a round up of recent listening:
        I've been introduced to Cut Chemist - influenced by both Afrobeat & Ethiopiques, it's all very modern & driving.
        Here's a mix
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytwbp0ox5ZE
        - their best album so far seems to be Sound of the Police; one of their tracks was used for an Apple Nano commercial, on the other hand they did open for Mulatu Astatke. Not for WM purists. Is there such a thing? Wonder if Max knows of their work? Not something he could play on LJ though - everyone would sit bolt upright in their Slumberlands then start jigging frantically. Can't have that...

3 acts we've seen recently:

Valley Poets - dreadful. A singer v.influenced by Johnny Rotten. With nothing to say & taking a long time to say it. Avoid. Shan't be mentioning them again.

Chris Wood - our annual gig. Still simply wonderful. Some new tracks, including The Sweetness Game - hopefully intended for a new CD, his version of Jerusalem and some old folk songs. His interpretations of tracks from A Handmade Life continue to evolve to such an extent that his interpretations have now completely changed them - only the words remain. Worth seeing if you do get a chance.

Joan Armatrading - we were a tad apprehensive, but an excellent set. A fine variety of work, covering jazz, blues, rock and roll. What a warm,mature performance. recommended, although not really WM.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post

Chris Wood - our annual gig. Still simply wonderful. Some new tracks, including The Sweetness Game - hopefully intended for a new CD, his version of Jerusalem and some old folk songs. His interpretations of tracks from A Handmade Life continue to evolve to such an extent that his interpretations have now completely changed them - only the words remain. Worth seeing if you do get a chance.

Joan Armatrading - we were a tad apprehensive, but an excellent set. A fine variety of work, covering jazz, blues, rock and roll. What a warm,mature performance. recommended, although not really WM.
          The opening track of last Tuesday's LJ was a mighty fine one by Wodd/Cutting from 'Lisa', I think. At the end Verity said that Mr Wood was touring with Joan, and I thought I'd seen they were coming to Perth, and sure enough Chris is the supporting act there. Have to say it's a bit pricey, but I really want to see Chris and I won't get to see him any closer to the hoose, but even with your recommendations, Global, I'm not that bothered to see Joan - did see her in '77 by the way and she was great then....oh, what to do, what to do?

Comment

Pete Chegwyn who runs Wickham festival opted for KT Tunstall ahead of JA last year.
            Not particularly a big JA fan but would have loved to see her . KT sold lots of tickets though, so I guess worthwhile for that. In any case, we ignored KT and went to see Katrine Polwart in another part of the festival.....good decision.
            Chris Wood..saw him without knowing his material also at Wickham about 3 years ago. good stuff, but that probably doesn't do him justice !
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

We wouldn't have gone to see JA if CW hadn't been support and we didn't think there were too many others in that category judging by the applause. Mrs GT thought me standing up and shouting 'clap you ignorant deaf bastards' may have intimidated some of them, personally I doubt that.
              He played 6 songs JC if that helps with your cogitations... We were prepared to walk out of JA if she had been drearily the same - she wasn't, shades of Sister Rosetta Tharpe in her guitar playing & a good sound. I'm not that familiar with her standards, so they sounded fresh to me. But yeah tickets not cheap...it's a 56 date tour, lot of good exposure for CW.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                Chris Wood..saw him without knowing his material also at Wickham about 3 years ago. good stuff, but that probably doesn't do him justice !
                Still one of the highlights of the last couple of years for me, teamsaint. Devastating storytelling!
                http://chriswoodmusic.co.uk/Chris Wood plays "Hollow Point" (about the killing of Jean Charles de Menezes in London in 2005) at the 2011 Folk Awards. Chris w...
                Last edited by johncorrigan; 23-10-12, 08:49. Reason: make it this century

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                  Still one of the highlights of the last couple of years for me, teamsaint. Devastating storytelling!
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVecC8oNJl8
                  then there's this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFFL6PsTklQ

and this version of the John Clare song
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQZcKylYY0

(he did Hollow Point but without any explanation - very powerful.)

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post

and this version of the John Clare song
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQZcKylYY0

(he did Hollow Point but without any explanation - very powerful.)
                    Thanks for posting that one - I hadn't seen that one, Global......it's interesting trying to listen to both Chris and the Pin barrel organ at the same time - I find myself switching back and forth - I'd love to see it in action.......and Hollow Point without an explanation - I had to stop the car first time I heard him sing that live on the folk awards.

Comment

It's worth checking out Dr Lucy's workplace from time to time....

http://www.soas.ac.uk/music/events/c...mountains.html

Wonder if I can wangle a trip down there to see them - or if they'll pop up on Wo3??

Comment

Cerys has the Unthanks playing a sesh this morning on 6.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                          Cerys has the Unthanks playing a sesh this morning on 6.
                          Ahh, those well known miserabilists....

Very appropriate for this time of year; shame Lat's not about he could cheer us all up with some warming soup suggestions.

In fact what soup would anyone recommend whilst listening to those Wintersets? Something involving fog, slugs & old turnips I'm guessing?

anyone who gets too depressed could always turn to cheery MB or a wee drappy at 6d a shot

Comment

Not miserabilist enough for me, Global ( reaches for the nearest Alasdair Roberts album ... )

Comment

Thanks for the links ..will try to follow them up.

As for the Unthanks...what on earth does anybody see in them?Every time I have seen/heard them play they have been dreadful.(and I don't like saying things like that !) Haven't seen them live, though.

have I been unlucky?
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                Thanks for the links ..will try to follow them up.

As for the Unthanks...what on earth does anybody see in them?Every time I have seen/heard them play they have been dreadful.(and I don't like saying things like that !) Haven't seen them live, though.

have I been unlucky?
                                Not unlucky just a possessor of that rare combination of commodities, a brain & a pair of ears.

Comment

Working...
                                X