Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
    Not unlucky just a possessor of that rare combination of commodities, a brain & a pair of ears.
    I like them; though not lots all at once...I enjoyed the couple of songs on Cerys the other morning.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      I like them; though not lots all at once...I enjoyed the couple of songs on Cerys the other morning.
      Yes, well Fiona played them on one of her shows last week too - they are turning into the new Samly.

Mind you she did mitigate that with one of Robert Wyatt's greatest songs ever...
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxfVUnM9PWM
      [I chose this version because it also has a Stanley Spencer image...and I was chuffed to hear a reference to SS in one of Michael Marra's songs too when I was catching up on MM

O I can't resist posting a couple of others.
      I have this single. It is very old.It is very lovely.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXXFp-9zsCQ
      and this, still poignant.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-FmG4JTIfk
      Last edited by Globaltruth; 30-10-12, 18:01. Reason: adding links like billyho

Comment

Just found out someone I know will be on Cerys' show on Sunday. I'm chuffed for him - Mr Corey Mwamba on free form jazz vibes.

Comment

It's not on the playlist but Cerys had a Sacred Harp Choir in on Sunday morning's programme....and very good it was too. Seems there's going to be a programme on R4 in early December about Sacred Harp Music. She also had a young blues singer, Valerie June, from Tennessee who has a really good voice and seems to be descended from the Medusa.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
            It's not on the playlist but Cerys had a Sacred Harp Choir in on Sunday morning's programme....and very good it was too. Seems there's going to be a programme on R4 in early December about Sacred Harp Music. She also had a young blues singer, Valerie June, from Tennessee who has a really good voice and seems to be descended from the Medusa.
            http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ny2fr
            We may have to give her her own thread y'know - she is generally doing a wonderful thing over on r6. And she hooks up with some of the r3 bunch (Fiona & Max anyway)

is r6 twice as good as r3?

Comment

We may have to give her her own thread y'know - she is generally doing a wonderful thing over on r6. And she hooks up with some of the r3 bunch (Fiona & Max anyway)
              Excellent idea. Let's do it.

is r6 twice as good as r3?
              No - not even at breakfast time. Especially not then!

Adjunct

A great programme on R4 a few minutes ago. Documentary on Jackson C Frank very, very nicely presented by Laura Barton.

Recommended.
              Last edited by Guest; 20-11-12, 13:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                Documentary on Jackson C Frank very, very nicely presented by Laura Barton.

Recommended.
                I like Laura Barton - thanks Lat, I'll give that a listen.

Comment

Excellent idea. Let's do it.
                  I'll get a ruling from FF....or at least a laconic suggestion

Comment

The rather tasty Lau (up there with Tunng in my book for reasons lost in the mist of time) are on Jools Holland tonight according to Karine Polwart in the twittersphere - I'll be recording it & fast forwarding to their bit...

Comment

The rather tasty Lau (up there with Tunng in my book for reasons lost in the mist of time) are on Jools Holland tonight according to Karine Polwart in the twittersphere - I'll be recording it & fast forwarding to their bit...
                      Lau were great (15 minutes in) and so was a relative of Muddy Waters who was also on - fine singer indeed.

But I see Eddie Mair is spreading his wings with a programme about Country music on R4 on Saturday - well it'll probably be amusing at least. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p2w7d

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00y...-2013-nominees

Most of these are well-deserved...

Comment

Sam Lee and the Unthanks!!

I am entirely indifferent on the first. You may have noted the recent sidestepping on the second. I am with Paul Morley there. Exceptional. I have also seen them live. It was gloriously emotional.

Pleased to see Anais Mitchell nominated although her first CD is the one for me. I know that there are several other nominees who will be received favourably here.

Among the least obvious, these certainly have their moments. I took to 'Catches and Glees' early. They spoke in terms of moving more in the direction of Scandinavian music and particularly hardanger fiddle. The new CD reflects it but only to a degree:

From 2008 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lh9X...ure=watch-vrec

From 2012 - http://open.spotify.com/track/5GmHxU4gh1IS9bcWpVwosS
                          Last edited by Guest; 22-11-12, 01:52.

Comment

They are 'one track filler' artistes in my odd book, those Unthanks. I've had the opportunity to see them live but always found other attractions such as contemplating my collection of ancient tobacco tins took preference - having said that, I respect your views and that does count as an indication to listen afresh.

Ms Gudnadottir appeared on the List to End All Lists - but she has gone again now....but I am minded to trawl through the fiords of Nordic Sound, otherwise the wrath of FT will be on us. And she will have wasted all those endless hours attempting to educate our ears whilst entertaining.

Here's a good 'un..

Combining ideas of bravery and heroism whilst gradually killing your customers. An odd retail idea...

Comment

Global,

I had noticed that she had come and gone. It was a foggy piece but not unpleasant.

Thank you for Bebo Valdes - very enjoyable.

In my old biscuit tin, I suppose I have two or three hundred cigarette cards from the late 1800s to the 1920s. None are in very good condition. Some are metal rather than paper and show the successful football teams of the day.

Who is Egon Zehnder? No, on second thoughts, don't answer that one.
                              Last edited by Guest; 22-11-12, 14:25.

Comment

In my old biscuit tin, I suppose I have two or three hundred cigarette cards from the late 1800s to the 1920s. None are in very good condition. Some are metal rather than paper and show the successful football teams of the day.
                                hang on to em lat!

i just looked up a tobacco tin on the net that i bought recently

i am keeping hold....it's my 'pension'!!

meanwhile, i find a tobacco tin makes an ideal home for my stiff upper lip.

i enjoyed fiona's track list on late junction last night ....i was just in the right mood.

Comment

Working...
                                X