No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
    And Chris Wood's new album is out...

You can listen to a free track on that site.
    Well top stuff, G, and I'm utterly delighted, and I imagine PS will be too, with the arrival after 14 years of a new Terry Allen record complete with Denselow review.
    The first new studio album in 14 yuears from the maverick renaissance man of the alt-country scene, writes Robin Denselow

By the way, so tragic the tale of the Saharawi refugees - such a fascinating programme.

Comment

Paul Jones decided to celebrate Easter with a fine collection of Gospel for his R2 show on Monday. Among the delights a crackin' Fred McDowell, an unusual Tangle Eye and Lightnin' on keyboards - very fine indeed, I thought.

Comment

Mark Coles hasn't been around for a few weeks but re-appeared with a fine programme from his Shed and some cafe in London where he was looking for Bluesman Guy Davis. The record sounded pretty great and he interviewed Fabrizio Poggi, Italian bluesharp man and eventually got to see Guy. Here's a clip of them. Maybe I'm just having a bluesy old week this week but I loved it.
        GUY DAVIS and FABRIZIO POGGI THAT'S NO WAY TO GET ALONG (Robert Wilkins)live at Bergamo TV(Incontri)

Comment

Always nice to hear a bit of GB's 'Sinking of the Titanic' and so it was on Jarvis' show today...fortunately after I'd come back from the West Coast and them roll-on, roll-off, roll-it-all-about Calmac ferries, rather than on my way out there.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
            Always nice to hear a bit of GB's 'Sinking of the Titanic' and so it was on Jarvis' show today...fortunately after I'd come back from the West Coast and them roll-on, roll-off, roll-it-all-about Calmac ferries, rather than on my way out there.
            Hey JC our ferry trip back was exactly 101 years to the date & time of the actual sinking. I can't say GB's toon was ringing in my ears, I was too busy up on Deck 11 looking out for icebergs. Luckily the Force 8 blew them away ...

Comment

One of the first discoveries I need to share with you is this, one of many highlights at this unforgettable museum. Jump aboard the Soundwagon, it's a beautiful morning!

Comment

One of the first discoveries I need to share with you is this, one of many highlights at this unforgettable museum. Jump aboard the Soundwagon, it's a beautiful morning!

That's a fine travellin' wagon you got there Global...thanks!
                Not nearly so interesting perhaps, but I had a wee listen to Mark in his Shed when i-player wasn't working so great and among the Femi and Willie Nelson and Samba Mapangala gems, among others, was a total beaut from Quercus, with June Tabor...totally mesmerising, I thought. Check it out.
                Mark Coles brings you his pick of the best new music releases from around the planet. Music this week from Korea, Benin, Croatia, the US, Nigeria and the Czech Republic among others. Plus a song to mark the death of Margaret Thatcher. What will it be ?
                Last edited by johncorrigan; 15-04-13, 10:21. Reason: forgot about samba

Comment

And Chris Wood's new album is out...

You can listen to a free track on that site.
                  and on YouTube
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-xSymc8KdU
                  talking about the new music...fish finger sandwiches...the tour...less is more. (I worked with an American once called Les, he always used to say that)
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zZHnGoZJn0

and a good post about that music and the BandCamp phenomenon.
                  http://tombrownbooks.wordpress.com/2...py-bandcamper/
                  Last edited by Globaltruth; 17-04-13, 18:38.

Comment

(I worked with an American once called Les, he always used to say that)]
                    Pretty amusing actually, I'm going to write that on my B-i-L's 60th birthday card next month - he's called Les too - but I never heard him say that...not that I'm surprised, mind you.

Comment

Rokia Traore was top notch on Later with Jools tonight - third song in - I suppose there will be more of her on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                        Rokia Traore was top notch on Later with Jools tonight - third song in - I suppose there will be more of her on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post

I try not to post too much about this wonderful singer, so it's great someone else has for a change. Not only on the programme you mention, but also, I'm told, on Women's Hour. She, of course, has some new product to promote.

She's at Glastonbury plus a few other UK dates.
                          http://www.songkick.com/artists/6556...lendar-summary

quite a good, if slightly dated, article about her here:
                          http://www.africanmusiciansprofiles.com/rokiat.htm

Comment

I try not to post too much about this wonderful singer, so it's great someone else has for a change. Not only on the programme you mention, but also, I'm told, on Women's Hour.
                            She had a great band with her, G - blew everyone else away - she had such a great presence about her, I thought. I'll definitely be watching 'Later' on Friday and I don't do that often these days.

Comment

Lopa's Wo3 on Fri:

Lopa Kothari introduces a session by the South Indian Carnatic violin duo Ganesh and Kumaresh, and announces details of the Songlines Awards Winners for 2013.
                              With voting by the World Music magazine's readers, categories included Best Artist, Group, Cross-Cultural Collaboration, and Newcomer.

Songlines Music Awards 2013 Nominees:

Best Artist

Katy Carr, Angélique Kidjo, Seth Lakeman, Ravi Shankar

Best Group

Bellowhead, Guy Schalom & Baladi Blues Ensemble, Lo'Jo, Warsaw Village Band

Cross-Cultural Collaboration

Eric Bibb & Habib Koité, The Chieftains, Dub Colossus, Joe Driscoll & Sekou Kouyaté

Newcomer

SamLy, Emel Mathlouthi, Mokoomba, Samuel Yirga
                              Personally I think Ravi Shankar deserves a one-off special lifetime award.... on May 3 Lopa has Moussu T e lei jovents. Should be A-OK...

Here comes some Rumi though
                              Sunday 28 April
                              6.30-7.45pm

Words And Music
                              Medieval mystic masters across religions travel back to the 12th and 13th centuries through the spiritual poetry of four remarkable mystics - one Christian, one Jewish, one Muslim, and one Buddhist.
                              German Saint Hildegard of Bingen, Iberian-born Hebrew poet Rabbi Judah Halevi, Persian Sufi master Rumi, and Tibetan monk Jetsun Milarepa provide this varied tapestry of reflections reaching to the core of spiritual belief, a tapestry surprisingly fresh and still relevant in today's world.

The music featured, taken from the complex soundscapes nurtured over the centuries by these four religions, offers a quite unique spiritual journey.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post

new to me. Thanks to all for the links folks.

Fabulous. Beautiful stuff.
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X