Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our village festival, just over. My favourite? Has to be Whiskey Bob - here he is in action, an interpretation of a Tom Waits song. Bob is accompanied by some incredibly busy wallpaper
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcHsyOkoedI

you can see why he's good live, and he does great workshops with the kids.... I always have this intention of getting some WM in there - v.difficult to find artistes on our tiny (preferably non-existent) budget - so we go for local performers. Including these local-ish dancers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1A2kF7Yb7w
    [caution: this clip features Morris dancing]
    many of whom are married to many of these
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-f3pPy2njE
    [caution: this clip causes bad language and Morris dancing - but at least Sid got it right]
    They also appeared at our festival and I managed to get them live on our local BBC radion station during the course of an interview. Think I may have ruined his MOR vibe...

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
      Our village festival, just over. My favourite? Has to be Whiskey Bob - here he is in action, an interpretation of a Tom Waits song. Bob is accompanied by some incredibly busy wallpaper
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcHsyOkoedI
      Very excellent...does he supply his own whiskey?

I always have this intention of getting some WM in there - v.difficult to find artistes on our tiny (preferably non-existent) budget - ]
      We managed a three piece called Drumergy for our arts event in Blairgowrie last week -an Aussie, a Yank and a Scot - the Wellmeadow was resounding to ngonis, mbiras and Didgeridoos and mighty fine they were - think they would have gone on forever if I hadn't had to get the Lyric Choir squeezed in.

so we go for local performers. Including these local-ish dancers
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1A2kF7Yb7w
      [caution: this clip features Morris dancing]
      many of whom are married to many of these
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-f3pPy2njE
      [caution: this clip causes bad language and Morris dancing - but at least Sid got it right]
      They also appeared at our festival and I managed to get them live on our local BBC radion station during the course of an interview. Think I may have ruined his MOR vibe...
      They're very Morrish, G.

Comment

Guardian plug for Mali acts at Glastonbury (our festivals could teach Glasto a thing or two don'cha think JC?)

Andy Morgan: When music was banned in Mali, the organisers of Glastonbury festival swung into action and invited the country's top acts over. Here's what to look out for

May result in another 3 or 4 fans...

Comment

Guardian plug for Mali acts at Glastonbury (our festivals could teach Glasto a thing or two don'cha think JC?)

Andy Morgan: When music was banned in Mali, the organisers of Glastonbury festival swung into action and invited the country's top acts over. Here's what to look out for

May result in another 3 or 4 fans...
          That Rokia is just soooooo fine, G. Would fancy seeing Jupiter and Okwess International, I have to say. I see that Songlines in the forthcoming edition are doing the top twenty ( or is it 50?) Malian Albums of all time...maybe we should be sorting that out.

...and while I'm here Mark Coles is in his shed for the 100th time this week - I heard him on R4 'Last Words' the other week...don't think it came from the Shed, mind you.
          Last edited by johncorrigan; 19-06-13, 12:55. Reason: Looking forward to Shed 101

Comment

For show #101 from his shed at the bottom of the garden Mark Coles remembers the sadly departed Bobby Bland and then follows with a fine selection of South African music as a wee prayer for us all to remember Nelson in the hospital in Pretoria by. I find I like Mark's show more and more.

Player is on Mixcloud. Listen for free to their radio shows, DJ mix sets and Podcasts

Comment

Couple of good steers on Lopa's show on Friday.....
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                Couple of good steers on Lopa's show on Friday.....
                Tell us more saint; I haven't listened to Lopa yet; I was watching Chic on the box from Glasto on Friday evening - 'Good Times' - what a groove!
                Last edited by johncorrigan; 30-06-13, 11:02. Reason: ...thought I'd add a spot of NY Disco to the pot!

Comment

bit of a struggle with the old IT to catch just the first hour, JC. !!

But enjoyed Saoud Massi, Fela Kuti (embarrassed to say I really don't know his stuff, but have had the whole house including Metal Sprog grooving to him today), Maurice El Medioni and so on. Session didn't especially grab me, probably my failing rather than his. !

Wish the show was on at a better time of day.....
                  Last edited by teamsaint; 30-06-13, 20:46.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Wish the show was on at a better time of day.....
                    That place 'twixt wake and sleep is the land we inhabit, saint.

Comment

is that something to do with double summertime/daylight saving, JC?

Thanks for the link.
                      Last edited by teamsaint; 01-07-13, 08:27.

Comment

is that something to do with double summertime/daylight saving, JC?
                        Not sure what Wee Eck Salmond and his cronies are promising about Scottish summertime, ts - must ask where they are going to make savings - the bigger worry is when R3 Promtime kicks in, then none of us worldies (or jazzers) have a scooby where we are.

Comment

Well, if you're not a festival fan then you're going to be out of luck with your World Music listening for the next 2 weeks - Late Junction, World Routes & World on 3 have wall-to-wall (ear-to-ear? ear-to-there?) coverage of Latitude/WOMAD (8 hours of WOMAD).
                          Featuring the Malawi Mouse Boys, Rokia Traore, 2013 World Routes Academy protégée Fidan Hajiyeva, Croatian turbofolk-punk band Zykopops, and Urna Chahar + Kroke (Poland meets Mongolia).

Comment

Well, if you're not a festival fan then you're going to be out of luck with your World Music listening for the next 2 weeks - Late Junction, World Routes & World on 3 have wall-to-wall (ear-to-ear? ear-to-there?) coverage of Latitude/WOMAD (8 hours of WOMAD).
                            Featuring the Malawi Mouse Boys, Rokia Traore, 2013 World Routes Academy protégée Fidan Hajiyeva, Croatian turbofolk-punk band Zykopops, and Urna Chahar + Kroke (Poland meets Mongolia).
                            Caught Carminha on this afternoon from WOMAD as I start a marathon of trying to catch up - I'm having this strange feeling that I'm starting to really enjoy Fado - she was blinkin' great, I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                              Not sure what Wee Eck Salmond and his cronies are promising about Scottish summertime, ts - must ask where they are going to make savings - the bigger worry is when R3 Promtime kicks in, then none of us worldies (or jazzers) have a scooby where we are.
                              so, um, no change then?

Wickham festival for me this week. Lots of the usual folk/ Celtic/ Folk Rock stuff.
                              What a great festival it is.
                              Count down is on, just 3 working days to go.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                                Caught Carminha on this afternoon from WOMAD as I start a marathon of trying to catch up - I'm having this strange feeling that I'm starting to really enjoy Fado - she was blinkin' great, I thought.
                                you've been missed JC & a welcome plug from TeamSaint for something other than LatiWomaditude. thanks both, I was thinking of starting a new thread called Tumbleweed...

Personally I preferred Fidan Hajiyeva, thought the sound balance was just right.
                                Anyone on here at this festival in 1970?

Comment

Working...
                                X