Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yodelling.
    Its the future. Hope Paul is well, GT !!

And I would be interested in some expert views on the World Routes prom, on which I have posted a couple of thoughts on the Proms concerts thread.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      Yodelling.
      ...and I was disappointed not to see it make an appearance under Y in the A-Z on Beeb 4 last night ...and throat singing didn't get clearance under T, Overtone was overlooked in O so no Huun-huur-tu, though I did like the Uzbek lady a lot. It was the things that there were none of that you missed - eg South Seas string bands, horse worshipping women, and Scandanavians ...other than Bjork that is and a distinct Fadoverdose.*

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      And I would be interested in some expert views on the World Routes prom, on which I have posted a couple of thoughts on the Proms concerts thread.
      I'd be interested in some expert views too...sounds like you had a mighty fine time of it, ts. I loved it. Particularly Trio Da Kali who I thought made a wonderful sound. It was a reminder, once again, of the great musical heritage of Mali...there seems always to be something old coming along that sounds so new.

* ...a recognised WM listener condition...take 2 and retire.
      Last edited by johncorrigan; 24-08-13, 09:14. Reason: sorry 'bout the '...' overdose in this post!

Comment

I was over on R4's 'Great Lives' to catch the Tagore programme and noticed that Fela had been celebrated a couple of weeks back. Haven't listened yet. Wonder if Matthew's an afrobeat fan.
        Gabriel Gbadamosi chooses as his Great Life the inventor of Afrobeat, musician Fela Kuti

Later: actually a very fine and interesting programme, I thought. I think MP was persuaded.
        Last edited by johncorrigan; 24-08-13, 11:15. Reason: forgot the link! Silly me!

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
          I was over on R4's 'Great Lives' to catch the Tagore programme and noticed that Fela had been celebrated a couple of weeks back. Haven't listened yet. Wonder if Matthew's an afrobeat fan.
          Gabriel Gbadamosi chooses as his Great Life the inventor of Afrobeat, musician Fela Kuti

Later: actually a very fine and interesting programme, I thought. I think MP was persuaded.
          Thanks for that - missed it.

Perhaps it slightly compensates for the omission of FK (and lots of others) from the BBC4 'how to be a WM star' show...and what a very odd concept that was. Towards the end all pretence of stitching together
          a disparate set of clips disappeared in an incoherent set of links nicely read by Verity. Ho hum, mustn't complain, grateful for a few crumbs.

Comment

Gave up on the A-Z of World Music after 20 minutes - format based on one of those '100 Greatest zzzzzzzzz Hits', clips of 30 seconds to a minute.
            Clearly I miss the point, would love to know the actual demographic the show was aimed at.

Instead I thought I'd try the Flamenco:Gypsy Soul programme, dedicated to a single genre & presumably aimed at anyone able to concentrate on one thing for more than 3 minutes (hoorah, I can still do that - just).
            The presenter, a regular writer for fRoots, came across as very dispassionate though extremely knowledgeable

I've since read this blog
            http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/posts/Flamenco-Gypsy-Soul - if only the production team had allowed more of their emotions and passion about the music to shine through it may have connected the viewer more.
            As it was this felt like a show rushing from region to region, with brief explanations, little insight & many questions left unanswered - some astonishing and visually stunning performances though.

Oh well, last show in the series is on Sept. 6, Youssou N’Dour – Voice of Africa

They should have used this feller as an inspiration....

Comment

Pretty wholehearted agreement re Friday evening's two Beeb4 offerings Global. I mean I suppose I should have expected Bhundus and Buenas, and I did enjoy the images of Havana (as I did of Lisbon). And AK made that rather fine remark about Tinariwen that plenty folk can rock, but not many know how to roll. But all in all I was left thinking that I should be thankful for small mercies, though I wasn't really.
              The A-Z was pretty much as you described but for 90 mins instead of 20m- I stuck it out afraid I'd miss something - best bits were Frankie Howerd introducing Osibisa, and hangin' out for a minute or two with Ali Farka Toure - and it was nice to see CG in there - but generally 'could do a lot better'.
              I haven't seen the Flamenco yet and am sad to hear your comments because the presenter was pretty good on Cerys on Sunday morning and they played a couple of fine tracks, but maybe that was just Cerys.

Comment

I'm off to the Liverpool gig.

http://www.propergandaonline.com/sta...right-phoebus/

Comment

Worth a look...hope the focus broadens - so far mainly Irish traveller songs.

Comment

I notice they're advertising a doc about Nic Jones on Beeb 4 this week - Chris Wood is on the trail. Though it says: 'THIS WEEK ON THE BBC', I can't find it anywhere so it may be next Friday's offering.

Comment

Listening to Radcliffe's Folk Show last night http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03b2s9c - he really is much better than the previous incumbent, I think - he had Nancy Kerr and Fay Hield from 'The Full English' in the studio singing songs from the English Folk Dance and Song collection - also played a rather fine Seth Lakeman piece from the collection - the web site apparently has lots of stuff you can access but I kept going round in circles - anyway I arrived here and will investigate a bit further.
                      The Full English Unlocking hidden treasures of England's cultural heritage A ground-breaking nationwide digital archive and learning project With the launch of The Full English in 2014, the English Folk Dance and Song Society and its partners pres

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                        Listening to Radcliffe's Folk Show last night http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03b2s9c - he really is much better than the previous incumbent, I think - he had Nancy Kerr and Fay Hield from 'The Full English' in the studio singing songs from the English Folk Dance and Song collection - also played a rather fine Seth Lakeman piece from the collection - the web site apparently has lots of stuff you can access but I kept going round in circles - anyway I arrived here and will investigate a bit further.
                        http://www.efdss.org/efdss-the-full-english
                        Indeed JC, it seems Folk Music is the new World Music as far as the Beeb is concerned.
                        Well, we must all learn to be fiercely proud of our national identity eh what?

Comment

Digital Folk on yesterday (Sat) on r4 - worth a listen..

The EFDSS are polishing their marketing clogs & doing a digital relaunch; and good luck to them.

Can't quite find the link at the mo but I'm sure anyone interested will find it...

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                            Digital Folk on yesterday (Sat) on r4 - worth a listen..

The EFDSS are polishing their marketing clogs & doing a digital relaunch; and good luck to them.

Can't quite find the link at the mo but I'm sure anyone interested will find it...
                            Here's the link to the EFDSS site, which is what the programme was about.

In a marriage between tradition and new media, more than 58,400 items from some of the country’s most important folk music collections – including manuscripts, notes and letters – from seven major archives, have been conserved, catalogued and digitized, before being uploaded to a central digital archive.

You can now browse through the manuscript collections of Harry Albino, Lucy Broadwood, Clive Carey, Percy Grainger, Maud Karpeles, Frank Kidson, Thomas Fairman Ordish, Frank Sidgwick, Cecil Sharp, Ralph Vaughan Williams, Alfred Williams and Mary Leather – from anywhere in the world, online. Also incorporated will be the collections included in the Take 6 project.
                            to do so, you should click here
                            http://www.vwml.org.uk/vwml-projects...e-full-english

I particularly like this statement...
                            None of The Full English materials have been censored. The contents do not reflect the opinions and views held by the English Folk Dance and Song Society, or any of The Full English partner organisations.
                            http://www.vwml.org/search?qtext=rat...2;AW#record=18 for example an interesting correspondence on the Mummers play. There are also many tunes, customs and traditions documented. It is possible to search on a specific location.

Comment

I notice that David Lynch is interviewed for 'The First Time' on 6 music tomorrow at noon - should be worth a listen...or a doughnut.
                              David Lynch discusses his musical milestones with Matt Everitt. First broadcast in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                                Here's the link to the EFDSS site, which is what the programme was about.

to do so, you should click here
                                http://www.vwml.org.uk/vwml-projects...e-full-english

I particularly like this statement...

http://www.vwml.org/search?qtext=rat...2;AW#record=18 for example an interesting correspondence on the Mummers play. There are also many tunes, customs and traditions documented. It is possible to search on a specific location.
                                Looks like it is an amazing project, GT.

Must try to have a decent look around the archives.
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X