Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    I notice that David Lynch is interviewed for 'The First Time' on 6 music tomorrow at noon - should be worth a listen...or a doughnut.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03d114j
    His musical work visits the turntable here on the odd occasion. And his chum Mr Badamenti is worth checking out from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      Looks like it is an amazing project, GT.

Must try to have a decent look around the archives.
      Certainly does ts, and Fay Hield has been doing a grand job getting it out to the various outlets. 6 Music are celebrating the launch of the site with a Folk List this evening. Some fine tunes so far...Twa Corbies from Hark the Village Wake hasn't made it yet and no sign of Chris Wood yet but it's early days.

Comment

Certainly does ts, and Fay Hield has been doing a grand job getting it out to the various outlets. 6 Music are celebrating the launch of the site with a Folk List this evening. Some fine tunes so far...Twa Corbies from Hark the Village Wake hasn't made it yet and no sign of Chris Wood yet but it's early days.
        http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03d3qy3
        Fay Hield would be the singer and Mrs John Boden IIRC. Saw her in the summer. Certainly well versed in the Folk heritage.
        I'll try to catch some of tonights 6 music. Never enough time for everything.

actually, that is a great playlist.

levi Stubbs tears would make my top 50 of all time I reckon.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

levi Stubbs tears would make my top 50 of all time I reckon.
          Quality, ts...they didn't play Steeleye's Twa Corbies, though Matty Groves was in there;
          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

...mind you, Joni's Chelsea Morning always makes me feel happy!

Comment

well, I suppose that Tom Robinson show proves that you CAN have excellent music radio even including tweets, the news and all the other stuff.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Seems to be a week for archives - Oilrig played a rather excellent rather old record by the Egyptian Abdel Hay Hilmi on Friday's Wo3 (PL up at last, by the way) and Colesy in the Shed followed this with a rather excellent interview with Kamal Kassar of Lebanon's Amar Foundation about their archive. Some great photos and thumbnail sketches, including one of Abdel, from the turn of the last century.

...and here's the link to Mark.
              Last edited by johncorrigan; 17-10-13, 17:09. Reason: checkin' centuries!

Comment

Every so often over the last few years a wonderful youtube clip appears on these pages of Sister Rosetta Tharpe doing 'Didn't it Rain' on a converted station platform somewhere out of Manchester in the mid-60s...here it is...I never tire of it since Paul S first posted it.
                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I only mention it because Craig Charles is telling the story of that concert on Radio 2 this Thursday evening at 10pm - called 'Didn't it Rain' by the way, cos it rained - you can see the puddles...Manchester! Who'd believe it!
                Craig Charles on the moment when legendary blues singers played Chorlton Railway Station.

Comment

Just looked out of the home office window towards Manchester and yes, I'm sure it's raining right now.
                  Thanks for the tip off, that's just the ticket http://www.cplee.co.uk/images/Ticket...ospelTrain.gif and an inadvertent reminder to check to see if King Bee Records in Chorlton are still operating.
                  I've a couple of hundred cds to dispose of

Comment

just (via froots mag) found this site

http://www.makingtrackslive.org.uk/#

which seemed like a good way of finding out when some infrequent visitors may be on relatively close. However on closer examination it does look as if there is a definite circuit of venues; which is a shame. Just in case there is any relevance to anyone I've posted the link though.

Still looking for those sufi dancers...

Comment

Thanks for the above Global. I wonder if over time the we will see any property-value rises in those eleven fixed locations ?

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                        just (via froots mag) found this site

http://www.makingtrackslive.org.uk/#

which seemed like a good way of finding out when some infrequent visitors may be on relatively close. However on closer examination it does look as if there is a definite circuit of venues; which is a shame. Just in case there is any relevance to anyone I've posted the link though.

Still looking for those sufi dancers...
                        There was a bit on Reporting Scotland last night saying these Syrian Whirlers had been denied UK access, Global.
                        THE music and dance group were due to headline the sound festival this weekend but were refused entry visas over fears they would not leave the country after performing.

Just realised after reading the other posts that I was way behind everyone...as usual
                        Last edited by johncorrigan; 23-10-13, 18:40. Reason: felt a bit of an eejit!

Comment

Nae problemo as they say in your neck of the wood. It all feels a bit busy after a few months of you & me propping the bar up together then a bunch of welcome visitors turn up.
                          Better start a few more new threads, increase output of wacky images &, best of all, keep talking about & listening to lotsa music. Like that Lisa Knapp. (No need for best behaviour though, I reckon we're already the perfect hosts (pauses for compliments & perhaps ripple of applause like a tired wave in a flooded stream)

Ps still haven't forgiven or forgotten that Spotty lot for screwing up that cool way of sharing. They're the real eejits

Comment

A propos of not much except that it brought a big cheesy grin to my fizog yesterday, my long time correspondent from the States sent me a letter this month...she always puts good stamps on her letters...they get that over there...this month's stamp may well be my favourite yet. Come on you Royal Mail, there's stuff to be learned from the Pony Express.

Comment

A propos of not much except that it brought a big cheesy grin to my fizog yesterday, my long time correspondent from the States sent me a letter this month...she always puts good stamps on her letters...they get that over there...this month's stamp may well be my favourite yet. Come on you Royal Mail, there's stuff to be learned from the Pony Express.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...stamp-20130922
                              Fab. Actually makes you want to go out, buy some, and get scribbling.

In fact, Night time is the Write time......

That made me smile too, JC. Cheers.

Comment

Hadn't noticed the first of this two-parter from R4 about 'the Harder they Come', but heard part two today and very enjoyable and funny and at times a bit scary it was. Here's part one with 4 days still to listen.
                                Chris Salewicz explores the legacy of cult classic Jamaican film The Harder They Come.

OOOH! That gun fever!
                                Album: Trojan Rude Boy Box Set CD2 (2002)Did you read the news? I'm a bit confused,The gun fever is back, the guns feverRudeness and gun is the talk of this ...

Comment

Working...
                                X