Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I occasionally catch 'Soul Music' on radio 4 - this week 'Strange Fruit' - I took the long way round in the car so I could hear it all.
    Soul Music examines the harrowing stories behind the song made famous by Billie Holiday.

Comment

Well Mr Hutz & the boys doing 6 gigs in the Uk, then off to Washington DC

http://www.gogolbordello.com/tour/future/

Comment

Here's board favourite Rokia Traore live , er, somewhere.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

You can never get enough Hank Williams for my book - Ricky Ross chose him on a very enjoyable 'Great Lives' on R4 this week.
          Ricky Ross from Deacon Blue champions songwriter Hank Williams. Matthew Parris presents.

Comment

Every Monday at 9.00 pm Kathryn Tickell has her own show on Amazing Radio. You can listen to the latest one here
            http://amazingradio.com/?show=kathryn-tickell

I found this info courtesy of the rather good froots App on my iPad - this means that I can now buy the occasional issue (and they even put some of the v. old ones on there for free) and read it perfectly well rather than subscribe to a paper issue which I infrequently read. Progress, technology, eh? eh?

and, not courtesy of froots, but via the honest sweat of my fevered brow.. if you go to the Dust to Digital website they have a stream of their latest, which is invariably worth a listen
            http://www.dust-digital.com/

You can also find it via Soundcloud. There's an iPad app for that too.

Comment

Hon mention for Gideon Coe's xmas songs show on the 24th with Nick Lowe in session and most amazingly a track from King Kennytone. Worth the licence fee atone.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                Hon mention for Gideon Coe's xmas songs show on the 24th with Nick Lowe in session and most amazingly a track from King Kennytone. Worth the licence fee atone.
                Fine new Christmas CD that from Nick Lowe.

Good to hear Hugh Masekela on Private Passions this past Sunday.

Comment

Actually John, I saw Nick's cd for sale in Truro's HMV. Didn't buy it though as I had to escape the premises as the synthetic, overloud dance music they were force feeding in to the ears of their customers drove me out of the store. Idiotic management by whoever was responsible !

Comment

Called 'Motown: Speaking in the Streets' I found this programme from Radio 4 about its spoken word label, 'Black Forum', really interesting and surprising given its time and place in history and what I normally think of Tamla.
                    Alvin Hall on Motown's eight Black Forum spoken word records with the people behind them.

Comment

Thanks John,
                      Now music fans who'd like to learn more about the recently passed Yusef Lateef will do a lot worse than dip in to Sir Doug's programmes ( all of which are archived ) during January where the whole month's programmes are given over to the DJ's hero.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                        Thanks John,
                        Now music fans who'd like to learn more about the recently passed Yusef Lateef will do a lot worse than dip in to Sir Doug's programmes ( all of which are archived ) during January where the whole month's programmes are given over to the DJ's hero.

https://wfmu.org/playlists/DS
                        Geoffrey Smith played an hour of very fine Yusef on Saturday night's GSJ, Paul, on music lovin' R3.
                        Geoffrey Smith profiles multi-instrumentalist and world music pioneer Yusef Lateef.

Comment

Can anybody tell me what has happened to the transcendental Verity Sharpe?
                          Now if SHE were running The Choir........!! Ahem......sorry.

Comment

John, thanks for that tip-off, I would have missed it otherwise ...

Draco, Verity is, I believe, pursuing her musical dreams ...

Comment

I see Radio 2 has a sprightly new Folk presenter making his debut this evening.

Nature broadcaster David Attenborough on his early TV work - producing folk music shows.
                              Last edited by johncorrigan; 12-02-14, 21:37. Reason: have/has...not sure!

Comment

on The World Service ...

Comment

Working...
                                X