Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enjoyed Mali's Songhoy Blues on Jools Holland tonight. Look forward to more on Friday - Laura Marling weirdly excellent too, I thought.

Comment

'Great Lives' had Wendy Cope celebrating John Clare today over on R4. Time to dig out a spot of Chris Wood - he's working hard here!
      The Pin-Barrel Harp is now close to completion and is shown being put through some trial performances by Henry Dagg and Chris Wood. The Pin-Barrel Harp is a ...

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
        'Great Lives' had Wendy Cope celebrating John Clare today over on R4. Time to dig out a spot of Chris Wood - he's working hard here!
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQZcKylYY0
        Missed the Wendy Cope JC - I'll have to try and catch it.
        Here's a nice little film just about Henry Dagg and his sharpsichord. He used to be a BBC sound engineer you know...
        https://vimeo.com/26301139
        Sadly Mrs GT claims we don't have enough room for one here...

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQZcKylYY0
          Missed the Wendy Cope JC - I'll have to try and catch it.
          Here's a nice little film just about Henry Dagg and his sharpsichord. He used to be a BBC sound engineer you know...
          https://vimeo.com/26301139
          Sadly Mrs GT claims we don't have enough room for one here...

Comment

Paul Jones played Larry Williams on his show on Monday night. I was only aware of him because of Beatles' version of his 'Dizzy Miss Lizzy' on 'Help' L.P., but if 'Slow Down' is anything to go by I need to look for a bit more. Had it in my head ever since but I post this because the first couple of minutes of the Vid made me wish that I could move like this and that I'd been around to dance like these guys.

Comment

Bob Dylan's birthday today and though I missed the first hour or so I'll be catching up with Jarvis Cocker's celebration of the arrival of the 74th candle on the Bobcake.

Dodgy opinion, crackpot theories, hare-brained schemes and beautiful, beautiful music.

However I did hear Nina Simone's version of Ballad of Hollis Brown on the show which I hadn't heard before, and thought it mighty potent.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

I know it's not new, but R4, in preparation for BBC Music Day (apparently), re-broadcast the wonderful Soul Music about 'Strange Fruit' this morning. Very moving radio indeed, as you come to expect from the best of these programmes.
                Soul Music examines the harrowing stories behind the song made famous by Billie Holiday.

Comment

Listening to Tom Ravenscroft is a bit like it used to be listening to his Dad - some amazing stuff and then unlistenable. Last night he played what I thought to be an amazing piece that I eventually worked out as being by a Tuareg singer Fadimoutou Wallet Inamoud. You can hear the track he played on this page - it's the first track side 1.

Hypnotic, minimalist (and hard to find) Tuareg music from Kidal, Mali. This is the perfect stark accompaniment to NY’s howling blizzard of the last couple days. Thanks to Chris (Sahel Sounds) for this!   Side 1 Side 2

Comment

Radio 4 documentary about the Newport Folk festival, with an interesting choice of presenter.
                    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06442qf

Bob Dylan going electric may be what a lot of people remember about the Newport Folk Festival, however...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYk4MTSq6uA
                    Spot Son House and Howling Wolf in the audience.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                      Radio 4 documentary about the Newport Folk festival, with an interesting choice of presenter.
                      http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06442qf

Bob Dylan going electric may be what a lot of people remember about the Newport Folk Festival, however...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYk4MTSq6uA
                      Spot Son House and Howling Wolf in the audience.
                      R4 repeated
                      Thanks for that Global...would have missed it.
                      If you missed Jez Nelson's rather good half-hour doc on Sun Ra, 'Travelling the Spaceways', R4 replayed it on Monday.
                      Decades after his death, why does Sun Ra continue to inspire an obsessive following?
                      Last edited by johncorrigan; 26-08-15, 08:43. Reason: more space, man!

Comment

R4 repeated
                        Thanks for that Global...would have missed it.
                        If you missed Jez Nelson's rather good half-hour doc on Sun Ra, 'Travelling the Spaceways', R4 replayed it on Monday.
                        http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b046nvxs
                        Thank you for this tip and to GT for the one on Newport.

Both are of interest to me.

Also, I'm hoping to rejoin Spotify by the end of this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                          Also, I'm hoping to rejoin Spotify by the end of this week.
                          when you do, here's the current WIP

spotify:user:trautiganlaylist:6edc4xJzR2qFliXmph5FW0

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                            when you do, here's the current WIP

spotify:user:trautiganlaylist:6edc4xJzR2qFliXmph5FW0
                            Thanks GT.

Comment

In September...

Private Passions
                              Sunday 13 September

12.00-1.00pm

Amitav Ghosh is a writer with a worldwide reach. Born in Calcutta, then educated in Delhi, Oxford and Alexandria, he now lives between New York and Goa. His books have sold over three million copies and have been translated into 33 languages.

His books have won awards in Canada, Italy, France and Burma, but his greatest readership is in India and he has been awarded the Padma Shri – one of India’s highest honours, by the President of India. His new novel, Flood Of Fire, is his tenth and completes his Ibis trilogy; the setting is the First Opium War in 1839 and it follows a cast of characters from India, China and Britain as they are caught up in that war.

In Private Passions, he talks to Michael Berkeley about his childhood by the water in Bengal and how the presence of the sea has influenced his writing. He admits that there is some truth in the charge that he is in essence a Bengali writer, writing in English.

Amitav chooses a highly original playlist reflecting the very different cultures which have been his creative influences. This includes a haunting Bengali boat song, a Hindu dance, and songs from China and Mauritius. He unearths a fascinating historical curiosity: perhaps the first ever example of East-West fusion, a version of ‘Hindoo airs’ adapted in the 18th century for English amateur musicians nostalgic for their days in India. And he celebrates the music of global connectedness, with a collaboration between Philip Glass and Ravi Shankar. Finally, he muses on the notion of 'home' and where he would live if he could only choose one place.

Part of the India Season across BBC Television and Radio.

LOPA's Wo3
                              Friday 18 September

11.00pm-1.00am

Recorded as part of Darbar Festival, London's Southbank Centre’s festival of Indian classical music.

Lopa Kothari presents a double bill of musicians from North and South India: the sarod and tabla duo of Abhisek Lahiri and Pandit Ramkumar Mishra, alongside the carnatic vocals of Ranjani and Gayatri.

Part of the India Season across BBC Television and Radio.

Presenter/Lopa Kothari, Producer/Felix Carey for the BBC
                              Last edited by Globaltruth; 30-08-15, 16:27. Reason: now that the community has doubled in size it's time to get hostly. well maybe.

Comment

Also part of the India season, Global, on Radio 6 this two-hour Indian music special on Friday night by a guy who goes by the very sub-continental moniker Bobby Friction. (not)
                                Bobby Friction charts the course of Indian music and its influence on western artists.

Comment

Working...
                                X