Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    Thanks for them Lat - very fine version of Moonlight Mile there.
    My great, but sadly deceased pal Framey bought a 10 inch LP/EP of Rickie Lee Jones - 'Girl at her Volcano'. We used to sit up listening to this wonderful live record full of fabulous jazz standards and other covers. After he died his girlfriend invited me to take a few of his LPs as a memento. This was one of them and every time I hear these I think of that great guy. Here she is doing Tom Waits' 'Rainbow Sleeves' - 'a heart that has been broken will be stronger when it mends'
    Rickie Lee Jones Rainbow Sleeves from "Girl At Her Volcano" and also featured on the "King of Comedy" soundtrack.

...and topping the Four Tops on 'Walk Away Renee' - I find it almost sacrilegious to say it...

A neglected gem is 'Girl at her Volcano' I would say.
    Am sorry to hear that John.

But wonderful, wonderful tracks - and very touching.

I hadn't heard either of those before.

Also hadn't realised until just now that she was asked twice to do "One From The Heart" before it was given to Crystal Gayle.

Love that album.

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post

Also hadn't realised until just now that she was asked twice to do "One From The Heart" before it was given to Crystal Gayle.

Love that album.
      Well that's most interesting, Lat. I knew that RLJ and Mr Waits had dallied together and when I first heard 'One for the Heart' had assumed it was written with her in mind. I mean Crystal Gayle is great at that, but Rickie would have been just wonderful.

Comment

Well that's most interesting, Lat. I knew that RLJ and Mr Waits had dallied together and when I first heard 'One for the Heart' had assumed it was written with her in mind. I mean Crystal Gayle is great at that, but Rickie would have been just wonderful.
        We forced ourselves to watch JH last night - a genuine but speedy tribute to Rico but apart from that Kwabena Sarkodee Adjepong got my vote.

Where's that petition to get JH, the squirming, odious Uriah Heap of music presenters, off our screens once and for all?

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post

Where's that petition to get JH, the squirming, odious Uriah Heap of music presenters, off our screens once and for all?
          Dunno, but if you find out let me know, Global.

Comment

MAK and MAX - Why Music?

Gracing our ears on FRIDAY night, MAK and MAX in a double header. Max is live from The Wellcome Colection
            http://wellcomecollection.org/events/late-junction

too late for tickets, sold out.

Of course, there is, as ever, a fly in the ointment (whoops, nearly wrote 'oinkment', that's a different thread altogether - note to self, don't be hamfisted) on MAK's show. Regular visitors to this quiet thread will understand...

Why Music?
            Why not?

Comment

...yer pal Sam's in there too, GT. ...and then there's an hour of 'Voyager' related golden disc music - from Stravinsky to Australians, from Blind Willie Johnson to Kurt Waldheim...as I have said before, I'm a sucker for this sort of stuff and I'll be there...wonder if there'll be a wee bit Carl Sagan to soothe the night.
              Music and sounds from the two 1977 Voyager spacecraft chosen to represent human beings.

Comment

Must flag up "Witness" on the BBC World Service.

I haven't yet listened to most of these clips from programmes broadcast this month but it is an impressive selection.

Think that many of them might be repackaged repeats but even so:

Comment

Thanks for that, Lat - never noticed that programme before. Interesting...are they all music based?

Comment

Thanks for that, Lat - never noticed that programme before. Interesting...are they all music based?
                    It is a programme which has life stories, normally 10-20 minutes long or that is how it seems. Ordinarily they can be interesting and uplifting but they have been having a music month so you get the story and bits of music. I am not totally clear about it as The History Hour is similar but that's the gist. Things I have listened to if awake during the night.

Comment

It is a programme which has life stories, normally 10-20 minutes long or that is how it seems. Ordinarily they can be interesting and uplifting but they have been having a music month so you get the story and bits of music. I am not totally clear about it as The History Hour is similar but that's the gist. Things I have listened to if awake during the night.
                      Just listened to one about Fela and one about Brel. Going to have a go at birth of ska next. Thanks again.

Comment

Just listened to one about Fela and one about Brel. Going to have a go at birth of ska next. Thanks again.
                        I've now listened to them too. Very, very good Wo3 tonight although the timing caught me out. I will have to LA to the first half as I was watching the John Lydon interview and didn't realise that the "Why Music?" tag had shifted everything. If Wo3 has to be cut to just one hour, what I've heard of it so far suggests they couldn't have done it any better.

Sam Lee and Simon Broughton explore what songs from around the world have in common.

Comment

I've now listened to them too. Very, very good Wo3 tonight although the timing caught me out. I will have to LA to the first half as I was watching the John Lydon interview and didn't realise that the "Why Music?" tag had shifted everything. If Wo3 has to be cut to just one hour, what I've heard of it so far suggests they couldn't have done it any better.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06cwc0b
                          I was driving from Dunkeld home and caught the last half hour. The Georgian choir piece was awesome. I also will LA to hear the rest and catch them Georgians again. Had me thinking of that Georgian track by Riho that was on World Routes on the Road...
                          მესტიის ფოლკლორული ანსამბლი. ხელმძღვნელი ისლამ ფილფანი. 1999 წ. პარიზი

They could do that programme again, Lat; call it something like World Routes...that would be good. Wonder why R3 hasn't thought of that!

Mary Ann's a rerr wee chanter by the way, as we are sometimes heard to say up here.

Comment

I was driving from Dunkeld home and caught the last half hour. The Georgian choir piece was awesome. I also will LA to hear the rest and catch them Georgians again. Had me thinking of that Georgian track by Riho that was on World Routes on the Road...
                            მესტიის ფოლკლორული ანსამბლი. ხელმძღვნელი ისლამ ფილფანი. 1999 წ. პარიზი

They could do that programme again, Lat; call it something like World Routes...that would be good. Wonder why R3 hasn't thought of that!

Mary Ann's a rerr wee chanter by the way, as we are sometimes heard to say up here.
                            Yes - there were similarities and that is one of my favourites on that CD.

I like everything on it but if I had to choose just one it might be this:

Ilham Al-Madfai - Baghdad - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnfIf4Kd3mc

Footnote: It does, though, have a strong hint of this song which was written by Ethiopian refugees:

Randy Crawford - Almaz - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTE4Rci79DA
                            Last edited by Lat-Literal; 27-09-15, 22:43.

Comment

Footnote: It does, though, have a strong hint of this song which was written by Ethiopian refugees:

Randy Crawford - Almaz - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTE4Rci79DA
                              Written 'by' or written 'for'? (freely admit to having no great knowledge of Randy Crawford's work)
                              Irrespective, that's an interesting comparison.
                              Last edited by Globaltruth; 28-09-15, 11:43. Reason: I did once have an American friend called Randy Rosshirt, a name which I very much liked for unknown reasons

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                                Reason: I did once have an American friend called Randy Rosshirt, a name which I very much liked for unknown reasons.
                                Don't forget Randy Vanwarmer, Global, a handy guy to have around when you're heading out on a cold winter night!

Comment

Working...
                                X