Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonderful to hear 'Hollow Point' from an old session recording this evening on the radio - gets me every time. Almost as good was the knowledge that C Wood is touring and he's coming to Glasgow for Celtic Connections so maybe I'll get to catch him this time. Some fine performers around for January including Balake and Segal, Eliza and Karine and a few others, Cheikh Lo, Chieftains, Toumani, Bela and piles more.

Comment

Yes JC, C Wood is touring with new material too - frustratingly managed to miss him when he was close, but good things come to those who wait.

P is for possibly. ;-)

Comment

Hey there's loads of good stuff on at CC - the re-imagining of Hejira, Baaba Maal, Alasdair Roberts,Blick Bassy, Afro Celt sound System, Reem Kelani ( memorable voice), Alasdair Roberts, plus many others worthy of investigation.

Hoping for better coverage on r3 this year - recorded concerts as well as just gleefully shambolic late night live sessions.

Comment

Ah yes, I wasn't saying I wouldn't be looking for CC but rather the CC attempt at Grit.

Only caught the last few performances on Later. I think I would take Bush (not Alan or Geoffrey in this instance but the other one) rather than Joanna and Solomon Burke rather than Cee Lo Green multiplied by however many grandchildren the Reverend managed. SBB seemed to merge into Mbongwana Star so I didn't have a clue who it was in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
            Hey there's loads of good stuff on at CC - the re-imagining of Hejira, Baaba Maal, Alasdair Roberts,Blick Bassy, Afro Celt sound System, Reem Kelani ( memorable voice), Alasdair Roberts, plus many others worthy of investigation.

Hoping for better coverage on r3 this year - recorded concerts as well as just gleefully shambolic late night live sessions.
            Hope there's better coverage on Radio Scotty too, GT. Actually I recall that last year some of the best stuff came courtesy of Radcliffe's R2 programme. But it is a strong line-up this year - I'll look up Kelani that you mention. Didn't notice the Hejira - must look again. Worth a trip to Glescae I would say, Global.

Looked again, Global, and that 'Hejira' re-imagining does look fascinating, but it's on at the same time as Chris. Just like the thing!!
            Last edited by johncorrigan; 04-11-15, 15:15. Reason: just like the thing!

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
              Hope there's better coverage on Radio Scotty too, GT. Actually I recall that last year some of the best stuff came courtesy of Radcliffe's R2 programme. But it is a strong line-up this year - I'll look up Kelani that you mention. Didn't notice the Hejira - must look again. Worth a trip to Glescae I would say, Global.

Looked again, Global, and that 'Hejira' re-imagining does look fascinating, but it's on at the same time as Chris. Just like the thing!!
              We've often talked about a visit to CC in Jan., and then, when the time comes, and so does the weather, then we bottle it, does look particularly strong this year though, good call re Chris W because your mentioning it prompted me to look on his website, newly added dates mean he is on near us round the end of Jan - and we're definitely going!

You do realise JC that you'll be the official FoR3 forum rep for all thingsCeltic Conn., pre-,during and post, don't you?
              Are you up for the task?
              (NB THIS sub-forum is the place to post )

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                We've often talked about a visit to CC in Jan., and then, when the time comes, and so does the weather, then we bottle it, does look particularly strong this year though, good call re Chris W because your mentioning it prompted me to look on his website, newly added dates mean he is on near us round the end of Jan - and we're definitely going!

You do realise JC that you'll be the official FoR3 forum rep for all thingsCeltic Conn., pre-,during and post, don't you?
                Are you up for the task?
                (NB THIS sub-forum is the place to post )
                I have so many issues these days of every possible nature I take each day as it comes. There is not to date any official diagnosis as no one would know where to start. However, the "dream" is not the obvious which would involve a return to the South West of England or Continental Europe. It is to do a "grand tour" of all places Tynemouth and Lindisfarne and possibly Durham all for different reasons - and all would be "firsts" - having York as a launch pad. I guess the really ambitious one would be to incorporate Celtic Connections. It would be very nice to meet you both at an event and winter weather isn't a problem. It is more a question of getting there when my general routine is on a radius of three miles.

Actually, just had a look at the extraordinary line-up. Could easily pick 20-30 on that list but here's a tip. I thought Martha Wainwright was disappointing live compared with on CD. Also, I think if it is to be done at any time, it would need a proper Scottish music event in there along with all the great WM artists etc. That would need expert advice from JC.
                Last edited by Lat-Literal; 04-11-15, 17:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                  I have so many issues these days of every possible nature I take each day as it comes. There is not to date any official diagnosis as no one would know where to start. However, the "dream" is not the obvious which would involve a return to the South West of England or Continental Europe. It is to do a "grand tour" of all places Tynemouth and Lindisfarne and possibly Durham all for different reasons - and all would be "firsts" - having York as a launch pad. I guess the really ambitious one would be to incorporate Celtic Connections. It would be very nice to meet you both at an event and winter weather isn't a problem. It is more a question of getting there when my general routine is on a radius of three miles.
                  Well, Lat, I've seen some fine performances over the years at CC - Iris, the McGarrigles, The Mighty Gloaming among others and it's a good atmosphere in the City. And I have to say that the prices are not horrendous - fourteen quid away from the biggies (Transatlantic Sessions etc). I'd love to see Toumani but not sure I want to see him with an orchestra - I'll be persuading Mrs C that Sissoko and Segal would be good value. Think Chris Wood will probably be a lone one for me. My pals are more C&W than they are CW.

Comment

Well, Lat, I've seen some fine performances over the years at CC - Iris, the McGarrigles, The Mighty Gloaming among others and it's a good atmosphere in the City. And I have to say that the prices are not horrendous - fourteen quid away from the biggies (Transatlantic Sessions etc). I'd love to see Toumani but not sure I want to see him with an orchestra - I'll be persuading Mrs C that Sissoko and Segal would be good value. Think Chris Wood will probably be a lone one for me. My pals are more C&W than they are CW.
                    I have seen Toumani twice - latterly with Bjork but first in an early arrivals event at Womad with everyone cross-legged and initially I thought "let's have more of a performance" but then I really got into it, although people were chattering in a not entirely respectful way. I still feel that I haven't seen him at his best and I think I might say yes to him with a sensitive orchestra. However, the Sissoko and Segal would really be "the business". All of the following performers are as they say in "Facebook World" likes - Abigail Washburn, Afro Celts, Alasdair Fraser, Alasdair Roberts, Altan, Ann Savoy, Baaba Maal, Ballake Sissoko, Barbara Dickson, Bella Hardy, Bernard Butler, Blazin' Fiddles, Blick Bassy, Boo Hewerdine, Bela Fleck, Calan, Cheikh Lo........well, that's just for starters and of course there's Chris Wood. It is an amazing line-up. Cambridge - which is another one of my list on things still to do - wouldn't get that line-up. But these days I do have a bit of a preference for outdoors music, even if impromptu. Presumably Celtic Connections has that too?

Re music pals, it is interesting because you start with your music pals being favoured radio presenters - at least I did - and then there is that convergence circa the student era which then increases and it's tight for many years. Occasionally pals go to yours a bit and you go to theirs but what I found in middle age was that the one who would be at the Pogues and then be prepared to go to Womad for Chic would leave Womad early and in essence was more for dance/rave than one thought. The indie people move on or else can't get their heads beyond indie and so on. It does all change. Music is very individualistic. Those who got me to Womad in the first place were either completely signed up to it but mainly friends of friends and hence long gone. The connecting people were there but oddly cynical and ostensibly rock. The irony is that when people do fall by the wayside you suddenly realise that what they liked for a while and in some ways introduced becomes what is identified in you in the long-term as a key part of musical taste which it genuinely becomes. In that flux, which is life, audiences matter. On the hot sunny day I saw Ranglin at Womad on my own, so many strangers approached me with smiles and said "you look like you are having a good time, isn't is brilliant" because they were also having a good time. That leaves a memory. It works and that is about the artist as much as anything.
                    Last edited by Lat-Literal; 04-11-15, 17:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                      . But these days I do have a bit of a preference for outdoors music, even if impromptu. Presumably Celtic Connections has that too?
                      Mmmmmm! Not unless it was a Pipe Band Carousing down Sausage Roll Street, Lat, I suspect. And they don't attract the calibre of busker that they once did!
                      Neil Young inkognito, 1976, Glasgow, in der Nähe von der "Bank of Scotland", grossartig!

Comment

Mmmmmm! Not unless it was a Pipe Band Carousing down Sausage Roll Street, Lat, I suspect. And they don't attract the calibre of busker that they once did!
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5WAsx2kSKA
                        Great clip. I am a Neil Young nut! But no, we must have outdoors winter festivals. It's obvious. We must have pirate radio stations on the old army rigs in the Thames Estuary with weddings etc on them. We must have on the Brighton Marina a multi-platform of radio and real life so that every eating establishment there carries the broadcast and it is also on speakers along the boardwalk with a different sound for each day of the week. Jazz one day and classical music another day and indie music on the third. The sound of the sea behind it so whatever is happening as the crowds gather there merges into the broadcast and natural elements. These things are obvious, aren't they, so why don't they happen? Also, all forums like this one should have an in-built Skype facility - not one to one but as per conference calls - so that we don't need to type silently. That's totally obvious too!
                        Last edited by Lat-Literal; 04-11-15, 18:50.

Comment

BBC Radio 3 - Peggy Seeger - Everything Changes

North East!

This is a very, very, good edition of World on 3.

Wilsons spot on; like Ngawang Lodup.

Even the Greenwood effort turns out to be right!
                          Last edited by Lat-Literal; 07-11-15, 01:50.

Comment

I know you like a bit of Jocelyn, Global, so just in case you didn't notice.
                            Composer Jocelyn Pook joins Matthew Sweet to talk about her work in film.

Comment

Thanks JC, had missed that -downloaded ready for a listen on the train tomorrow. Hope she talks about her influences and, of course, the recent work with Natacha Atlas.

Comment

Also spotted this World Service prog on Indian music...
                                Global Beats explores India's lively independent music scene, from folk to funk.

Not yet downloadable but worth a LA at some point I reckon?

Comment

Working...
                                X