X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
    I like it.

Hope you had a good holiday, JC.

I really like the idea of coming into radio range as it reminds me of being in West Wales and not being in radio range.
    Was grand, Lat. Even managed a couple of dips in the Atlantic - refreshing!!! We even had one of those totally wild days when the ferries went off, disappearing for the rest of the day to safe haven...bracing!

On the subject of things Scottish I would like to mark the retirement of the great Robbie Shepherd from Radio Scotland's 'Take the Floor'. Robbie's unmistakeable Aberdeenshire doric tones have entertained many a Saturday night over the last 35 years with his breadthless knowledge of Scottish Country Dance Music. He's a real enthusiast and you feel he's everybody's pal.

However having turned 80 earlier in year Robbie's decided to hang up the microphone.

I have listened in to 'Take the Floor' over the years and imagine some families clearing back the furniture to make space for a wee hooch around the parlour. Anyway lots of people up here and of the diaspora will be wishing this wonderful broadcaster a happy retirement. Here he is giving a genteel introduction to 'Strip the Willow'...it's never been done like this at any of the ceilidhs I've been to.
    Going to a celidh? Let Robbie Shepherd take you through the dance in our step-by-step guide. Get familiar with the steps from more dances at http://bbc.in/1I...

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      Was grand, Lat. Even managed a couple of dips in the Atlantic - refreshing!!! We even had one of those totally wild days when the ferries went off, disappearing for the rest of the day to safe haven...bracing!

On the subject of things Scottish I would like to mark the retirement of the great Robbie Shepherd from Radio Scotland's 'Take the Floor'. Robbie's unmistakeable Aberdeenshire doric tones have entertained many a Saturday night over the last 35 years with his breadthless knowledge of Scottish Country Dance Music. He's a real enthusiast and you feel he's everybody's pal.

However having turned 80 earlier in year Robbie's decided to hang up the microphone.

I have listened in to 'Take the Floor' over the years and imagine some families clearing back the furniture to make space for a wee hooch around the parlour. Anyway lots of people up here and of the diaspora will be wishing this wonderful broadcaster a happy retirement. Here he is giving a genteel introduction to 'Strip the Willow'...it's never been done like this at any of the ceilidhs I've been to.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vboU2A59POs
      Very nice - and wishing him a very happy retirement.

I wasn't aware of the programme and I am not sure why. I do look at the Scotland schedules and in fact listened to an episode of Ricky Ross just last week. As for stripping the willow, well yes that is something I know and used to do rather well on account of Mrs Waller's insistence that dancing of that nature was the core subject in my junior school curriculum. But I believe these things have been mentioned before, not least in respect of the stick and sword dances which weren't all they could have been at fete times.

Comment

Grampa Keef in charge of Beeb 4 this weekend. Just played this bit of Howling Wolf that I hadn't seen before...wish I'd seen him live.
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Ice music in Norway

R4E Repeat from R4

The Music That Melted - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00y8v0w

Comment

Cerys is doing a couple of programmes on Radio 2 about the Chitlin' Circuit starting tonight with the roots including that of the word 'Chitterling'.
            Cerys Matthews explores the music and stories of an incredibly important touring circuit.

...and while I was over there I noticed Van's just been doing a R2 concert, related to the new record I assume.
            Jo Whiley hosts an intimate Radio 2 In Concert with Sir Van Morrison.

Comment

This coming Tuesday on radio 4, 'Soul Music' gets an outing and commences with the magnificent 'A Change Is Gonna Come' by Sam Cooke.
              Sam Cooke's A Change Is Gonna Come has become an anthem for civil rights in the USA.

Comment

As part of the season that seems to be running on the Beeb just now, Paul Jones had a crackin' 70s show tonight for his regular R2 Rhythm and Blues Monday nighter. Sir Van does Brother Ray, Muddy and Johnny, BB and Bobby Bland all on top form...the show's here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07xxrjg

Comment

This coming Tuesday on radio 4, 'Soul Music' gets an outing and commences with the magnificent 'A Change Is Gonna Come' by Sam Cooke.
                  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07x2zd2
                  Thank you for these, JC.

I will be listening to them.

The Sam Cooke song is one of my all time favourites.

(I've listened to the Sam Cooke programme now - fantastic!)
                  Last edited by Lat-Literal; 11-10-16, 22:22.

Comment

This evening on BBC Radio 2, The People's Songs...'Light Flight - The Folk Revival'...from the skiffle of Lonnie D through to Renbourn and Jansch and Pentangle right up to 'Hollow Point'.
                    The marriage of folk and electricity gives British folk a new lease of life.
                    Last edited by johncorrigan; 12-10-16, 23:57.

Comment

If you fancy a couple of hours of Dub listening you could do a lot worse than tonight's Now Playing on 6Music with Tom Robinson and the Mad Professor...lots of fine things in there all dubbed up...most delighted.

...by the way, I notice Chango Spasiuk is on tour next month - not coming up this way unfortunately!

Comment

If you fancy a couple of hours of Dub listening you could do a lot worse than tonight's Now Playing on 6Music with Tom Robinson and the Mad Professor...lots of fine things in there all dubbed up...most delighted.

...by the way, I notice Chango Spasiuk is on tour next month - not coming up this way unfortunately!
                        The East End of London and Milton Keynes which are no good for me but the tickets are very reasonably priced.

One day......one day.......I hope to return to Womad. The dub programme looks good - and Al Green is in it too!

Comment

BBC 6 Music - Cerys - Tom Brosseau in Session:

(from 1.05)

(Plus a lot of other good things which I am about to listen to)

Comment

BBC 6 Music - Cerys - Tom Brosseau in Session:

(from 1.05)

(Plus a lot of other good things which I am about to listen to)
                            Hey Lat, I was stackin' logs this morning this morning and Cerys played this really top tune from the New King Creosote record - stopped me in my tracks for a few minutes to enjoy the music and the breeze.
                            King Creosote - You Just Want (Official Audio) taken from the album Astronaut Meets Appleman, out now.Download on Itunes: http://smarturl.it/AstronautDLOrder...

PS Tom was a most enjoyable guest!
                            Last edited by johncorrigan; 17-10-16, 00:39.

Comment

Hey Lat, I was stackin' logs this morning this morning and Cerys played this really top tune from the New King Creosote record - stopped me in my tracks for a few minutes to enjoy the music and the breeze.
                              King Creosote - You Just Want (Official Audio) taken from the album Astronaut Meets Appleman, out now.Download on Itunes: http://smarturl.it/AstronautDLOrder...

PS Tom was a most enjoyable guest!
                              I didn't realise until the last couple of weeks that you were that keen, JC, on King Creosote. I have "KC Rules OK" and saw them live in Dorset. Favourite track - "My Favourite Girl". I agree on Tom Brosseau. A short set but very fine. He is a unique singer who fits in to an identifiable tradition and is very personable. He does deserve considerable recognition.

I have listened to half the programme. Top class. So many great tracks and a fair percentage that I had never heard. Thought the Christy Essien Igbokwe record was very, very atmospheric. Liked it a lot. I was a bit surprised that the excellent Roberto Fonseca one was by him because generally I have regarded him as too smooth. That might now require a review. Enjoyed the inclusion of Jacqueline Taieb, Duke Ellington, Tinariwen, and De La Soul (album eight from the only hip-hop act I ever chose to see live). It was good too to have the Rhos Male Voice Choir for Aberfan - what eclecticism - and the Bob Dylan half hour was brilliant. As I have said umpteen times, I really must make it a regular fixture.

(Actually, I have seen Orishas too if they could be called hip-hop - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6ac0iNrq1E )
                              Last edited by Lat-Literal; 17-10-16, 02:28.

Comment

I didn't realise until the last couple of weeks that you were that keen, JC, on King Creosote. I have "KC Rules OK" and saw them live in Dorset. Favourite track - "My Favourite Girl". I agree on Tom Brosseau. A short set but very fine. He is a unique singer who fits in to an identifiable tradition and is very personable. He does deserve considerable recognition.
                                Sunday's was a good show, Lat - I also was surprised by the Fonseca for similar reason. Re KC (but not the one with the Sunshine Band), he was someone I hadn't really listened to till I saw 'From Scotland with Love', a compilation of lots of old archive footage of Scotland turned into a good wee film by the with KC doing the soundtrack and using influences from down through the years. Hard to beat this one, but the film's worth looking out:
                                King Creosote - For One Night Only (Official Video)Order "From Scotland With Love" and download "For One Night Only" now at:iTunes - http://smarturl.it/FSWLD...

Film exploring Scotland's past and made entirely of Scottish film archive.

Comment

Working...
                                X