Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC World Service again - most definitely add to your list

'Dying for a Song' - about the persecution of those who dare to question authority via their music
    Rex Bloomstein meets musicians from around the world who are being persecuted for raising their voices against political, cultural or religious repression. He talks to artists whose songs have led to their imprisonment, torture and to the continuing threat of violence; artists who have been driven from their homelands, artists who, literally, risk dying for a song.

In one recent year alone 30 musicians were killed, seven abducted, and 18 jailed by regimes, political and religious factions and other groups determined to curb the power of music to rally opposition to them. In Syria, singer Ibrahim Quashoush, was found dead in the Orontes River, his vocal chords symbolically ripped out.

Rex hears stories of tremendous courage and determination not to be intimidated and silenced. Egyptian singer Ramy Essam tells of how he was brutally tortured after his songs rallied the crowds in Tahir Square during the Arab Spring. Two weeks later, after recovering from his injuries, he was back performing his songs aimed at bringing down the regime of Hosni Mubarak. Iranian singer Shahin Najafi continues to perform around the world despite a fatwa calling for his death, after his songs upset the religious leaders in his home country. He says: “At night I turn to the wall and slowly close my eyes and wait for someone to slit my throat”.

Amid tales of musical repression in Sudan, Tunisia, Burkina Fasso and Lebanon, come stories, more surprisingly, from Norway. Deeyah Kahn reveals how she was forced to flee the country in the face of violent threats aimed at stopping her singing and Sara Marielle Gaup talks of her struggle against repression of the music of the indigenous Sami people in the north of the country - labelled “the devil’s music”.
    The musicians from around the world who are raising their voices against repression

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
      BBC World Service again - most definitely add to your list

'Dying for a Song' - about the persecution of those who dare to question authority via their music

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04kxdj3
      Thanks Global, I'll go have a listen to that. In the meantime I'm listening to Eliza Carthy and The Wayward Band on Radio Scotland's Quay Sessions. A track at the beginning and then some more tracks about 40 minutes in. Sounding raucous!
      Highlights from The Beat, Public Service Broadcasting, Siobhan Miller and Eliza Carthy.

Comment

The Upsetter in his own words, talking of the Black Ark and more.
        Ep 1...
        http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011wdm3
        hmmm - seems to be more music than words to me.

Episode 2 introduces the Wailers, also in Episode 3 which finishes with a classic Susan Cadogan track.

(it's a repeat by the way)

Comment

Later today, a documentary on the brilliant Emahoy Tsegué-Maryam Guèbrou:

Kate Molleson meets a legend of Ethiopian music, Emahoy Tsegue-Maryam Guebrou.

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
            Later today, a documentary on the brilliant Emahoy Tsegué-Maryam Guèbrou:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08mb1ft
            Ha - just logged on to post the same. On r4. Produced by the independent LJ team.

Not sure she'd be happy with the 'honky-tonk' soubriquet.

The Honky Tonk Nun

Kate Molleson travels to Jerusalem to meet a legend of Ethiopian music, the piano-playing nun, Emahoy Tsegué-Maryam Guèbrou.

Born in 1923 to a noble Ethiopian family, Emahoy Tsegué-Maryam Guèbrou was celebrated as a young musician in Addis Ababa - even performing for the Emperor Haile Selassie. But when she was mysteriously refused permission to take up a scholarship at the Royal Academy of Music in London, her life changed forever, and she abandoned music.

For 10 years she lived on the holy mountain of Guishen, barefoot, in solitary prayer and meditation, until the monastery had to close and Emahoy Tsegué-Maryam headed home to Addis Ababa. There, she slowly returned to the piano keyboard, composing languorous waltzes, infected with the spirit of ancient Ethiopian music and with a free-wheeling sense of time.

In 1996, as her music became the 21st release in the now famous Ethiopiques series of records, she came to international attention. By this time she had fled the communist regime in Ethiopia and moved to Jerusalem to work for the Ethiopian Orthodox Patriarchy, where she now lives in a small cell, surrounded by her religious paintings, photographs of her family and of Emperor Haile Selassie propped up on top of her piano.

In recent years she has been moved to publish her work, editing a lifetime of manuscripts with the help of the Israeli musician and composer Maya Dunietz, and has set up a foundation in her name to help children to acquire instruments and music education.

A long time fan of Emahoy Tsegué-Maryam's music, journalist Kate Molleson talks with the musician turned nun who, now in her 90s, has led a remarkable life and is still driven to compose her unique music.

Produced by Peter Meanwell
            A Reduced Listening production for BBC Radio 4.

Release date: 18 April 2017
            30 minutes

Comment

Ha - just logged on to post the same. On r4. Produced by the independent LJ team.

Not sure she'd be happy with the 'honky-tonk' soubriquet.
              Thanks chaps...I was on my way here to mention that there's a programme about Jake Thackray on R2 this evening presented by Ms. Matthews.
              Cerys Matthews explores the life and songs of Yorkshire poet-singer Jake Thackray.

He died in 2002. In his song 'The Last Will and Testament' he requested "no forget-me-nots, no epitaphs - you can let my memory slip - say a prayer or two for me soul then, but make it quick, boys." Instead he's getting a one-hour programme

Comment

She sang for Haile Selassie but later retreated from the world, living barefoot in a hilltop monastery, perfecting her bluesy, freewheeling sound. Kate Molleson on The Honky Tonk Nun, her documentary about Emahoy Tsegué-Maryam Guèbrou

Article by Kate Molleson on her excellent programme about Emahoy Tsegue Maryam Guebrou.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                  Jake Thackray....
                  died in 2002. In his song 'The Last Will and Testament' he requested "no forget-me-nots, no epitaphs - you can let my memory slip - say a prayer or two for me soul then, but make it quick, boys." Instead he's getting a one-hour programme
                  Mind you JC he did also write

Even at the solemn moment he wouldn't behave, for
                  I heard him whistling in his coffin on his way to the grave. He
                  Took off toward the New Jerusalem with his pinch of salt. I
                  Distinctly heard him flatulating in his marble vault.
                  Your candles will be dimmed when he gets the wind.
                  Angels, saints and seraphim
                  Although he's old, although he's cold,
                  Keep a tight hold
                  On him.

Comment

Mind you JC he did also write

GT, I can't help but be reminded of the death, a few years back, of Larry La Prise the guy who wrote the Hokey Cokey. All the preparations were going well until they were placing the body in the coffin. They put his left leg in and everything just went downhill after that.

Comment

GT, I can't help but be reminded of the death, a few years back, of Larry La Prise the guy who wrote the Hokey Cokey. All the preparations were going well until they were placing the body in the coffin. They put his left leg in and everything just went downhill after that.
                      Big shout out to the mighty JC as the young 'Uns say. In more trad forum styley:

Comment

Not sure if this can be caught on 'catch-up', but I notice that at 3.45 tomorrow morning on Channel 4 they are showing 'Raga: A Film Journey into the Soul of India' - part funded it would appear by George Harrison.
                        Originally released in 1971, Raga: A Film Journey into the Soul of India documents the life of sitar master Ravi Shankar in the late 1960s and early 1970s, f...

Comment

Not sure if this can be caught on 'catch-up', but I notice that at 3.45 tomorrow morning on Channel 4 they are showing 'Raga: A Film Journey into the Soul of India' - part funded it would appear by George Harrison.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvaY3-E7ToI
                          I might find this helpful as when I look at my world music collection it is clear to me that I still haven't clarity on Indian music. George Harrison was my favourite Beatle and not only because we share a surname (oddly in my case more north than south). While I wouldn't claim huge identification because that would not be accurate - my identification with a few other musicians to the extent that such things matter in older middle age is much greater - there is some similarity in ethos and ethic. The Twitter page from Harrison's Estate says today - "The speech of flowers excels the flowers of speech - Happy May Day 2017" - and it features a picture of George behind flowers. The phrase is from "The Answer's at the End", produced in a period where excess and spirituality in him competed and there was some inner conflict between a wish to pursue projects with Shankar and expectations of more standard fare. The full lyric draws on the whimsical wall inscriptions of Frank Crisp, a solicitor, microscopist and horticulturalist who owned Friar Park at an earlier time to Harrison and, given the contexts, it adds hugely to their depth. "Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass....You know his faults, now let his foibles pass". Not at all a bad song.

From his last solo album on Apple Records, "Extra Texture (Read All About It)" (September 1975):

George Harrison - The Answer's At the End - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3kwRZPEX6E

Listening to it again, the piano mid/end break is similar in tone to this, a record that I am surprised to find I often come back to as I have used it as a cross reference before : in my opinion, it is one of half a dozen musical signatures of that 1970s period. Meg Baird has occasionally picked up on it in recent times. Lesley Duncan became a gardener in Mull.

Lesley Duncan - Love Song (from June 1971) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYelRP3MzEw
                          Last edited by Lat-Literal; 01-05-17, 20:23.

Comment

Music Matters - Ravi Shankar's opera:
                            http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08ny5ck

As Ravi Shankar's only opera, Sukanya, is given its posthumous world premiere at The Curve in Leicester - a partnership with the Royal Opera House and the London Philharmonic Orchestra - Tom visits rehearsals to talk to the conductor David Murphy, who collaborated with Shankar in his final years to write the work, and the production's director Suba Das. Soprano Susanna Hurrell explains the vocal challenges involved in bringing the role of Sukanya to life, and Tom revisits his interview with Ravi Shankar for Music Matters in 2008.

Comment

- the "article" begins at 16mins, 15secs into the programme (although the entire programme is well worth listening to - lots of informative and provocative stuff).
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                - the "article" begins at 16mins, 15secs into the programme (although the entire programme is well worth listening to - lots of informative and provocative stuff).
                                Thank you very much.

I will definitely listen to this programme. I know his symphony but not the opera.

Not wishing to go off course so just as a sideline, I subsequently realised that there is, perhaps predictably, something of the signature I referred to in post 1242 in this too:

John Lennon - Number Nine Dream - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-rstOjonZU

Walls and Bridges. 1974.

Someday, we might consider if music which is unequivocally a bridge can at the same time be a wall too and not in a negative way. I'm developing thoughts about this idea!
                                Last edited by Lat-Literal; 07-05-17, 12:42.

Comment

Working...
                                X