Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks like a very good concert coming up next Wednesday.

Vaughan Williams Thomas Tallis Fantasia
    Bax November Woods
    Vaughan Williams Five Tudor Portaits.
    Rachel Kelly, Neil Davies, CBSO Chorus,
    CBSO, John Wilson.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
      looks like a very good concert coming up next Wednesday.

Vaughan Williams Thomas Tallis Fantasia
      Bax November Woods
      Vaughan Williams Five Tudor Portaits.
      Rachel Kelly, Neil Davies, CBSO Chorus,
      CBSO, John Wilson.
      I will like that one - many thanks bbm.

Comment

11am 
        Rob's Artist of the Week is the Swiss conductor Charles Dutoit. In 1977, Dutoit became the Artistic Director of the Montreal Symphony Orchestra (OSM) - a position he held for some twenty-five years. During his tenure, he raised the orchestra's recording profile and reputation significantly, making it one of the leading orchestras in the French-speaking world. While he's best-known for his association with the OSM, Dutoit has also conducted the Philadelphia Orchestra, the Orchestre National de France, Tokyo's NHK Symphony Orchestra, and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, as well as the Verbier Festival Orchestra in Switzerland. He is celebrated in particular for his recordings of the Romantic repertoire, and during the course of the week we'll hear him conduct Ravel's Mother Goose, Dutilleux's violin concerto L'arbre des songes (with soloist Isabelle van Keulen), Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake, Haydn's Symphony No.82 'The Bear' and Chopin's Piano Concerto No.2 in F minor, with Dutoit's former wife, Martha Argerich, as soloist.

Comment

Originally posted by Mal View Post
          11am 
          Rob's Artist of the Week is the Swiss conductor Charles Dutoit. In 1977, Dutoit became the Artistic Director of the Montreal Symphony Orchestra (OSM) - a position he held for some twenty-five years. During his tenure, he raised the orchestra's recording profile and reputation significantly, making it one of the leading orchestras in the French-speaking world. While he's best-known for his association with the OSM, Dutoit has also conducted the Philadelphia Orchestra, the Orchestre National de France, Tokyo's NHK Symphony Orchestra, and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, as well as the Verbier Festival Orchestra in Switzerland. He is celebrated in particular for his recordings of the Romantic repertoire, and during the course of the week we'll hear him conduct Ravel's Mother Goose, Dutilleux's violin concerto L'arbre des songes (with soloist Isabelle van Keulen), Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake, Haydn's Symphony No.82 'The Bear' and Chopin's Piano Concerto No.2 in F minor, with Dutoit's former wife, Martha Argerich, as soloist.
          Many thanks Mal.

Comment

I think my advice to myself in the latter part of May will be "try to stick to remit". However, I am going to post this link as it has a bit of blues and a bit of old soul and some mild leanings to rootsier stuff in places. It is my favourite year charts wise - 1970 - (the second is 1989) - not that I could justify it wholly rationally. And while I am not sure that I very much like this presenter as a person, I am starting to think that I do like him better than many as a presenter, not least because it is a harking back of sorts. While of the here and now he is also old style. Specifically, while I'm not the biggest flag carrier for North Americans I do think they always did this sort of radio well. It is, after all, where it all started:

BBC Radio 2:

Huey Morgan - Huey's Sunday Best visits 1970 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08pvpbw

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
              I think my advice to myself in the latter part of May will be "try to stick to remit". However, I am going to post this link as it has a bit of blues and a bit of old soul and some mild leanings to rootsier stuff in places. It is my favourite year charts wise - 1970 - (the second is 1989) - not that I could justify it wholly rationally. And while I am not sure that I very much like this presenter as a person, I am starting to think that I do like him better than many as a presenter, not least because it is a harking back of sorts. While of the here and now he is also old style. Specifically, while I'm not the biggest flag carrier for North Americans I do think they always did this sort of radio well. It is, after all, where it all started:

BBC Radio 2:

Huey Morgan - Huey's Sunday Best visits 1970 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08pvpbw
              Nice playlist if exclusively North American except Van, Lat. 25 or 6 to 4...great single - when Chicago still had a sense of their Transit Authority beginnings.
              Best bit of US soul I heard at the weekend was Solomon Burke on Cerys on Sunday - 'Stepchild' - wow!
              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

I think my advice to myself in the latter part of May will be "try to stick to remit".
                It's ok Lat, we're allowed a bit of LATitude.

(see what I did there in a heavy-handed sort of way)

Comment

Just noticed in the listings that Oumou Sangaré is on Later tonight on Beeb 2...and Jane Birkin too...70 these days it would seem.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                    Just noticed in the listings that Oumou Sangaré is on Later tonight on Beeb 2...and Jane Birkin too...70 these days it would seem.
                    Saw one of the Oumou songs on Friday night - scintillating performance...about 10 minutes into Later...

I notice that there's a programme this coming Thursday morning on Radio 4 entitled 'I Was Bob Dylan's One-Off Sparring Partner'.
                    Andrew McGibbon talks to Daniel Catfish Russ, who went two boxing rounds with Bob Dylan.

I think I'll turn up for that one.

Comment

Saw one of the Oumou songs on Friday night - scintillating performance...about 10 minutes into Later...

I notice that there's a programme this coming Thursday morning on Radio 4 entitled 'I Was Bob Dylan's One-Off Sparring Partner'.
                      Andrew McGibbon talks to Daniel Catfish Russ, who went two boxing rounds with Bob Dylan.

I think I'll turn up for that one.
                      Don't know what to expect of that one, JC, but I will be tuning in. From memory, his biggest opponent was a tick that is on the increase here but I'm still wearing shorts.

Nice playlist if exclusively North American except Van, Lat. 25 or 6 to 4...great single - when Chicago still had a sense of their Transit Authority beginnings.
                      Best bit of US soul I heard at the weekend was Solomon Burke on Cerys on Sunday - 'Stepchild' - wow!
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy7wAKCwz4M
                      An outstanding album. Full of electronic magnetism. On Sangare, I'm remaining open minded but I thought we weren't doing "Later" anymore so I haven't been recently.

Comment

Don't know what to expect of that one, JC, but I will be tuning in. From memory, his biggest opponent was a tick that is on the increase here but I'm still wearing shorts.

An outstanding album. Full of electronic magnetism. On Sangare, I'm remaining open minded but I thought we weren't doing "Later" anymore so I haven't been recently.
                        Quite right Lat, there is an official embargo on listening to Holland as part not only of Brexit but also for collective audio improvement and as long as the Holland in question is prefixed by Jools..
                        We do have a deal in place though where we can listen to anything that's good on Later (L8R) as long as an appropriate tariff is levied via an appropriate tariff code (TC). This tariff code is based on an international standard, the Musically Harmonised System (MHS). The MHS has been carefully and clearly elaborated in a European standard, the Combined Nomenclature (CN).
                        A quick way of remembering this is
                        L8R = TC / MHS must = CN

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                          Quite right Lat, there is an official embargo on listening to Holland as part not only of Brexit but also for collective audio improvement and as long as the Holland in question is prefixed by Jools..
                          We do have a deal in place though where we can listen to anything that's good on Later (L8R) as long as an appropriate tariff is levied via an appropriate tariff code (TC). This tariff code is based on an international standard, the Musically Harmonised System (MHS). The MHS has been carefully and clearly elaborated in a European standard, the Combined Nomenclature (CN).
                          A quick way of remembering this is
                          L8R = TC / MHS must = CN

Hope that helps.
                          You realise, GT, you are writing to someone whose only concession to our new fangled processes this week has been to order real garden manure, albeit organic, on Amazon? My uncle just used to go up to the horse gypsies but I doubt I have the nerve, especially as they now look like international big business with guns poised for whoever they perceive non romantically as potential rustlers. I think I can follow your advice although I have a raft of opinion polls here and realise I may now have to introduce quorums (as opposed to regulation) into all of my future decision making. Worrying. I haven't been the same since that PCS Conference in Brighton. Incidentally, the old lady who lived in my home had the surname "Holland". I still have her furniture - chaise longue with anti-maccasars etc - and became confused about how many Hollands should be attached to my sense of loyalty.
                          Last edited by Lat-Literal; 29-05-17, 17:05.

Comment

I really liked Daniel 'Catfish' Russ who was 'Bob Dylan's One-Off Sparring Partner' on Radio 4 this week.

Next week, 'I was Johnny Cash's Tailor'.

Comment

In among all the pepper related material, I came across this rather excellent 'Archive on 4'extra this morning where Glenn Patterson explored Van through his 'greatest' song 'Gloria'. It's from 4 or 5 years back. Well worth exploring if you haven't heard it before and you like a bit of Van.
                              Glenn Patterson traces the cultural journey of Van Morrison's much-covered song Gloria.

Comment

In among all the pepper related material, I came across this rather excellent 'Archive on 4'extra this morning where Glenn Patterson explored Van through his 'greatest' song 'Gloria'. It's from 4 or 5 years back. Well worth exploring if you haven't heard it before and you like a bit of Van.
                                http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03g89cl
                                A few months ago, I bought what must be one of the only cassette recorders on the market. Although new, I couldn't get it to work until tonight when I suddenly realized I had to do something different with the wire. The first cassette I put in at random turned out to be an interview of Van by Johnnie Walker who sounded like Minnie Mouse. Hopefully, that is a problem with the cassette and not the player but I won't know until I try other tapes. I stuck with it and it was interesting, recorded as it was at the time of "The Philosopher's Stone" which contained lost recordings going back years. VTM was more open than usual about the past and appeared to suggest after "Madame Joy" (not "George") that parts of "Astral Weeks" had been written at the time for a film. The programme opened slightly oddly with Mary Coughlan's "Invisible" which I had forgotten - and it is very good indeed.

Comment

Working...
                                X