Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
    the new record is something rather dire with Damon Albarn. He has travelled around England using public transport (the horror!) and made an album about the time he did it. Brexit.
    extract from NME review:

Still hopefull Tony Allen will get a few quid from it.
    The original 'The Good, The Bad and the Queen' was pretty appalling. I bought it in a charity shop on the strength of T.A., listened to it and took it back to the charity shop...didn't ask for my money back, just in case you're wondering, Global.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      The original 'The Good, The Bad and the Queen' was pretty appalling. I bought it in a charity shop on the strength of T.A., listened to it and took it back to the charity shop...didn't ask for my money back, just in case you're wondering, Global.
      Let's not ever speak of it again JC

Comment

Let's not ever speak of it again JC
        Mam's the word, Global!

Comment

Good doc on Radio 4 extra this evening about George Harrison's trip to India to make 'Wonderwall'. Very enjoyable.

Comment

Great to see Mary Ann Kennedy looking so fine on the telly tonight introducing the An Trad Awards from Perth Concert hall on BBC Alba. Some fine acts including Karine Polwart's Band doing a couple of numbers including GT fave 'I Burn, but I am not Consumed' and her excellent version of Sydney Carter's 'The Crow on the Cradle' which she performed in memory of the recently departed Roy Bailey. A highlight of the show was Griogair Labhruidh playing with Mischa Macpherson and other musicians - must look out more of his stuff. Anyway well worth a couple of hours of attention, although Duncan Chisolm undeservedly, in my opinion, won a couple of awards. Karine's about 80 mins in, by the way.
            Mary Ann Kennedy and Kim Carnie host the Trad Awards 2018.

Comment

Great to see Mary Ann Kennedy looking so fine on the telly tonight introducing the An Trad Awards from Perth Concert hall on BBC Alba. Some fine acts including Karine Polwart's Band doing a couple of numbers including GT fave 'I Burn, but I am not Consumed' and her excellent version of Sydney Carter's 'The Crow on the Cradle' which she performed in memory of the recently departed Roy Bailey. A highlight of the show was Griogair Labhruidh playing with Mischa Macpherson and other musicians - must look out more of his stuff. Anyway well worth a couple of hours of attention, although Duncan Chisolm undeservedly, in my opinion, won a couple of awards. Karine's about 80 mins in, by the way.
              https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001cjp
              Thanks JC, would have missed this otherwise. Bring MAK back!
              KP is 79mins in
              Last edited by Globaltruth; 02-12-18, 15:16.

Comment

Thanks JC, wold have missed this otherwise. Bring MAK back!
                KP is 79mins in
                She's a class act, GT.
                The very recently departed Scottish writer Janet Paisley was given an award, which she did not to live to receive. About 62 mins in there is a reading of one of her poems by Gerda Stevenson - well worth a watch...great performance, I thought. It was a fine show for one of these awards things, I thought, helped very much by Mary Ann.

Comment

Eliza Carthy presents a programme on BBC Radio Scotland about the effect of the Scottish folk scene on her musical development.
                  Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

Comment

Ricky Ross - Another Country

BBC Radio Scotland, 11 January 2019

I like his presentation. A very acceptable edition, I thought, ahead of some emphasis on Celtic Connections later this month. It included the following which are linked to Smithsonian Folkways. Lula Wiles presumably listen quite a lot to Neil Young, among other things. Kaia Kater, who he rightly described as difficult to categorise, is a Canadian singer and banjo player. I'm not entirely convinced by either of these acts as I feel the voices are not always spot on but they both have ideas which is a plus and there is enough here to be of interest.

Lula Wiles

Love Gone Wrong - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n6y71kJk0w

Mama - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFo0ivxzxmk

Kaia Kater

New Colossus - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wstYCIt_Ryo

Meridian Ground - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDECd2zbUjo

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                      Ricky Ross - Another Country
                      BBC Radio Scotland, 11 January 2019
                      I like his presentation. A very acceptable edition, I thought, ahead of some emphasis on Celtic Connections later this month.
                      Thed entire programme here:

A live link up with Nashville for the latest music news from Bill DeMain in Music City.

('tho' how anyone who didn't already know could work out that the symbol on the "Sounds>Schedules" page is meant to represent "Radio Scotland" ... Honestly - if the Beeb actually wanted to prevent interested listeners from finding their content, they couldn't have done a better job than this design!)
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Words and Music (general programme discussion here), played this track as part of their COMMUTERS programme

CHATTERBOX - Ritesh Das and the Toronto Tabla Ensemble

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieiEhO0NDnk

we've all sat next to plenty of those..maybe it's you

Comment

With Sean on 'In Tune' tonight, Eliza Carthy and pals with tales of Eliza's bedroom - she's got a new record out tomorrow - didn't get the whole story but seems to have been made out of some necessity and with thanks once again from Topic Records, heading for its 80th birthday later this year. Eliza's in the last half hour, by the way, in case you missed it.

Comment

I notice that Arena's 'American Epic' is being re-run at the moment - well worth a watch.
                            The 1920s saw record companies travel rural America to record the music of ordinary people

Comment

Not sure if I've heard Jennifer Lucy Allan on Late Junction before - she's very enthusiastic. I listened in a wee bit on Tuesday and she trailed that the Wednesday show would be mostly her with Laurie Anderson, so thought I would listen in. Unfortunately I didn't last long with it - for me it was all just a bit boring I'm afraid. Decided to head for bed instead!

Comment

Not sure if I've heard Jennifer Lucy Allan on Late Junction before - she's very enthusiastic. I listened in a wee bit on Tuesday and she trailed that the Wednesday show would be mostly her with Laurie Anderson, so thought I would listen in. Unfortunately I didn't last long with it - for me it was all just a bit boring I'm afraid. Decided to head for bed instead!
                                https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0002rwz
                                How quickly we forget JC - last on April 2018 with Max talking about her obsession with fog horns. thanks though, I'll give it a listen....

Comment

Working...
                                X