X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
    hang on to em lat!

i just looked up a tobacco tin on the net that i bought recently

i am keeping hold....it's my 'pension'!!

meanwhile, i find a tobacco tin makes an ideal home for my stiff upper lip.

i enjoyed fiona's track list on late junction last night ....i was just in the right mood.
    Handsomefortune - They are very good. I hope your boxes serve you well. My cards are not in good condition so I doubt that they would be a pension. I will see if it becomes necessary but they were given to me by my late uncle/godfather and have value in that sense. There are also cigar boxes from elderly Sri Lankan friends in the 1970s but the value is in the memory of them.

I will check out that harmonic piano on last night's LJ. About six weeks ago, I signed up to I-Player and selected favourite programmes. Then I went on a break and didn't use it. This week I couldn't access it and had to obtain a new password. It is ok but it doesn't feel wholly user-friendly. And I find that the ongoing television and radio I-Player just muddles the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post

A great programme on R4 a few minutes ago. Documentary on Jackson C Frank very, very nicely presented by Laura Barton.

Recommended.
      Agreed - she's a good storyteller that Laura Barton - I miss her regular column in the Grauny - quite a bit mystery in the programme that she seemed to bring out. Thanks for the pointer Lat.
      I just heard Dick Gaughan on Eddie Mair does Country, by the way.

Comment

It was a sad story but beautifully told. I haven't got to Eddie's country music programme yet but hope to do so soon. My favourites by Dick Gaughan are his version of "Schooldays End" and "The Auchengeich Disaster". He is folk though surely?

I fear that we may have two identical Almas on the Spot.

Comment

I haven't got to Eddie's country music programme yet but hope to do so soon. My favourites by Dick Gaughan are his version of "Schooldays End" and "The Auchengeich Disaster". He is folk though surely?
          :
          It was one of those things that was not enough and too much all at the same time - fell between a row of seats! Yeah Dick's folk but it was about that two-way connection between country and Celtic. I wouldn't miss Oilrig on the back of it, Lat!

Comment

Every time I hear a bit of Kathryn Tickell I think I don't hear her enough - and so with 'Walking To Dances/Shining Pool/Tumblers' that Cerys played this morning - loved it. Then she played Jesse Mae to further brighten this dreich day.......but spoiler alert! Mr Lee's on playing live.

On listening I've decided that he just sounds boring.
            Last edited by johncorrigan; 25-11-12, 14:02. Reason: the slow dentist drill!!!!

Comment

Brian Eno's metaphorically in Mark Coles' Shed this week talking about 'Lux' - and very interesting it is - I think BE always sounds like a nice guy!

There's more chat between them on World Service 'The Strand' by the way.

Comment

Enjoyed the 'Mair Confessional'
                Just like Eddie

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                  Brian Eno's metaphorically in Mark Coles' Shed this week talking about 'Lux' - and very interesting it is - I think BE always sounds like a nice guy!

There's more chat between them on World Service 'The Strand' by the way.
                  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p010n9df
                  Well he kindly negated the need to ever buy any more of his ambient stuff when he created the Scape app ...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/29/brian-eno-scope/

Comment

Edmund de Waal on Desert Island Discs - available still on iPlayer - the potter and author of The Hare with the Amber Eyes, with an interesting and eclectic choice of music. Anyone who hasn't read his family memoir is urgently directed to the nearest bookshop!

Comment

I mentioned a week or so back that there was a programme about Sacred Harp Music coming up - Cerys is presenting it this coming Monday on music lovin' Radio 4.
                      Cerys Matthews visits Alabama to uncover a sacred choral tradition.

By the way she's got a spot of tango in tomorrow's show on 6 from Daniel Melingo live in the studio.

Comment

I mentioned a week or so back that there was a programme about Sacred Harp Music coming up - Cerys is presenting it this coming Monday on music lovin' Radio 4.
                        Try to catch it - fascinating it was. Cerys did a grand job.
                        Cerys Matthews visits Alabama to uncover a sacred choral tradition.

Comment

Try to catch it - fascinating it was. Cerys did a grand job.
                          http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p40h5
                          Thank you John. I will definitely listen to it. I do like harp music.

While I am not a huge fan of Paul Gambaccini, I really loved this episode of "History of Music Radio" on the I-Player last night. I will post some comments on the BBC at 90 thread.

Paul Gambaccini presents a six-part history of music radio in the UK and USA.
                          Last edited by Guest; 03-12-12, 19:31.

Comment

While I am not a huge fan of Paul Gambaccini, I really loved this episode of "History of Music Radio" on the I-Player last night. I will post some comments on the BBC at 90 thread.
                            Well that was much more interesting than I thought it was going to be, Lat - thanks - particularly enjoyed the US section, and hearing the Wolfman made me want to head for this old fave.
                            American Graffiti movie clips: http://j.mp/1JbQFLeBUY THE MOVIE: http://amzn.to/vnUSi3Don't miss the HOTTEST NEW TRAILERS: http://bit.ly/1u2y6prCLIP DESCRIPT...

Comment

Well that was much more interesting than I thought it was going to be, Lat - thanks - particularly enjoyed the US section, and hearing the Wolfman made me want to head for this old fave.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99z-H_NEccU
                              An excellent clip - and an excellent series. One of the best this year. That Nevada City which was mentioned as a place in Northern California where the Wolfman could be heard apparently has a population of less than 4,000. It looks now like this:

I have never been to the US, and have never wanted to, but I wouldn't have minded hearing the Wolfman and other DJs there.

In New York, WMCA (Harry Harrison and the "Good Guys") is now one of umpteen Christian radio stations run by Salem. WABC who had Harrison and Dan Ingram became a Newstalk station in 1982 - (often referred to by the industry as "The Day The Music Died"). WCBS, again with Harrison and Cousin Brucie has returned to classic oldies after a period as Jack FM when its audience figures crashed to the very bottom of the ratings ("widely regarded as one of the greatest failures in modern New York radio history").

The Jack formula, a mix of oldies and contemporary chart hits generally with minimal pre-recorded voice overs and few, if any, actual presenters, has since been applied to a wide range of stations in Britain. Perhaps a better phrase would be "taken over".
                              Last edited by Guest; 04-12-12, 00:00.

Comment

I caught the Cerys programme about the Sacred Harp singers yesterday on r4.
                                Too short, but a competent taster. Interested to hear that this style of singing is being adopted in Europe & the Uk too.
                                I wonder where? And can anyone remember which r3 presenter first played it ? Was it LJ or one of the World programmes?
                                I'd like to thank them...

Comment

Working...
                                X