Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
    Loved his songs but thought his voice was weak, so was interested in him initially as a songwriter. So he made mistakes too.
    Who, GT? Matt Baker?
    Last edited by johncorrigan; 08-10-20, 09:26. Reason: didn't deserve irony emoji! Just plain stupid, really!

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      Who, GT? Matt Baker?
      Thread surprises part 2,377 - Matt Baker gets a mention on Caribbean Thursday.

Comment

Thread surprises part 2,377 - Matt Baker gets a mention on Caribbean Thursday.

Comment

Stream / Download / 7" Vinyl - https://ffm.to/black-rabbitVideo credits Directed by Prince FattyArt Direction and Storyboard by Shniece McMenaminVideography ...

Also file under 'covers'

Comment

Also file under 'covers'
            I'd need to put the laptop in the bed for that, Global?

Comment

I'd need to put the laptop in the bed for that, Global?
              JC - those clever technocrats have already invented this...:

Comment

Many thanks G. I was wondering where to place my 'discoveries' - a family living in France, having moved from S.Korea and singing a Cuban song in Spanish. There are more versions of this fine Cuban song, and I particularly love this young, shy, funny and brave family group.

Magnifique chanson cubaine de 1935 composée par María Teresa Vera, sur un texte de Guillermina Aramburu.Suscríbete a nuestro canal haciendo click aquí 👉 htt...

Comment

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                  Many thanks G. I was wondering where to place my 'discoveries' - a family living in France, having moved from S.Korea and singing a Cuban song in Spanish. There are more versions of this fine Cuban song, and I particularly love this young, shy, funny and brave family group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDEu39FLYpw
                  Wow! She is not camera-shy, Padraig! That was bring a grin to your face music!

Comment

For my Caribbean Thursday I thought I'd turn to one of Peel's favourite band. Misty in Roots played sessions for JP on numerous occasions and here, from one of those sessions, is 'Judgement Coming on the Land'. Quality!

Comment

'One Step Beyond' by Prince Buster and suddenly the sun appears in the sky for the first time in days. Happy Caribbean Thursday!
                      Cecil Bustamente Campbell OD (24 May 1938 - 8 September 2016), was a Jamaican singer-songwriter and producer.Read More:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_B...

Comment

'One Step Beyond' by Prince Buster and suddenly the sun appears in the sky for the first time in days. Happy Caribbean Thursday!
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ukZmiFKzog
                        Thanks JC. Huge fan of Prince Buster and this particular album. the cover is still one of my all time favourites...

just off to listen to it - as you say, the clouds blow away and the sun comes out. Happy Caribbean Thursday.

Comment

Thanks JC. Huge fan of Prince Buster and this particular album. the cover is still one of my all time favourites...

just off to listen to it - as you say, the clouds blow away and the sun comes out. Happy Caribbean Thursday.
                          Love that record, Global. I reckon Ghost Dance is one of my all-time favourite tracks. I only just found out that his middle name was Bustamente, by the way. So that's how he got his name!

Comment

I only just found out that his middle name was Bustamente, by the way. So that's how he got his name!
                            Well, that's certainly how it became shortened to Buster

I suspect he was named Bustamente after

and, just in case you don't follow the link, there is a candy named after Alexander Bustamante:
                            Bustamante backbone
                            A Jamaican candy, the Bustamante backbone, is named for him.[28] It is a grated coconut and dark brown sugar confection flavored with fresh grated ginger, cooked to a hard consistency, "which is said to represent his firmness of character." Bustamante was considered a "buster", "a champion of the common man and tough article."[29] The candy is also nicknamed Busta.
                            I can confirm that used to be available at the B'ham Caribbean Festivals in the 80's and was flippin delicious ..."represented his firmness of character" - sweet

Ghost Dance - classic track.

Comment

I want one of those Bustamente backbones, GT.

Comment

Not quite the Caribbean, but Tio is from Vanuatu and shows the reggae influences on a lot of the island music. He's from Ambryn, which I believe is one of the more remote of the eighty or so populated islands of the archipelago. I like the voice very much.
                                'Black Butterfly' is the first single from Tio’s debut album 'Sorousian' which will be released on 25 September. The album can be preordered here: https://ti...

Comment

Working...
                                X