No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The froots ones for June

The froots recommendations...

1 English Country Blues Band - Unruly (Weekend Beatnik)
    2 R.U.T.A. - Gore (Karrot)
    3 Aurelio - Laru Beya (Real World)
    4 Seun Kuti - Africa With Fury: Rise (Because)
    5 Bella Hardy - Songs Lost & Stolen (Navigator)
    6 Elle Osborne - So Slowly Slowly She Got Up (Folk Police)
    7 Three Cane Whale - Three Cane Whale (Idyllic)
    8 Penguin Café - A Matter Of Life… (Penguin Cafe)
    9 Imperial Tiger Orchestra - Mercato (Mental Groove) - shame they're not on Spot, I like the track I've heard
    10 Dub Colossus -Addis Through The Looking Glass (Real World)
    11 Naomi Bedford - Tales From The Weeping Willow (own label)
    12 Phillip Henry & Hanna Martin - Singing The Bones (Dragonfly Music)
    13 Colombiafrica - Afritanga (Trikont)
    14 Western Jazz Band -Songs Of Happiness, Poison & Ululation (Sterns)
    15 Roshi - Mehregan (Rif Mountain)
    16 Sarah Jarosz - Follow Me Down (Sugar Hill)
    17 Stelios Petrakis, Efren Lopez & Bijan Chemirani - Mavra Froudia (Musièpoca)

I've included the Spotify links where they exist too or you can listen to the podcast here

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
      The froots recommendations...

[URL="http://open.spotify.com/album/3NLSsEdCvFUK9JX5SgOktC"]
      17 Stelios Petrakis, Efren Lopez & Bijan Chemirani - Mavra Froudia (Musièpoca)

I've included the Spotify links where they exist too or you can listen to the podcast here
      No 17 is the group I was mentioning elsewhere that Simon Broughton played a track from on Cerys' show on Sunday morning. Sounded pretty good to me.

Comment

And fair-sized samples can be heard of No 13 at Juno where ::

Buy Trikont US at Juno. 5* Trustpilot rating, same-day despatch and huge range.

Not one of Trikont's better jobs, imo

It's like wading through sludge, this listening to most of these shiny new but essentially dull, latest releases.
        Well that's what my ears are telling me ( and have done for years ! )

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
          And fair-sized samples can be heard of No 13 at Juno where ::

Buy Trikont US at Juno. 5* Trustpilot rating, same-day despatch and huge range.

Not one of Trikont's better jobs, imo

It's like wading through sludge, this listening to most of these shiny new but essentially dull, latest releases.
          Well that's what my ears are telling me ( and have done for years ! )
          Hey PS this is a kind of sad post.

Don't you think there's always the chance of the odd gem lurking in the sludge that makes it all worthwhile?
          That was, after all, what drove Mr Ravenscroft on and on and on....He did find one or two.

Comment

This week I am mostly enjoying Seun Kuti on Spotty.:cool2:

Comment

>>Don't you think there's always the chance of the odd gem lurking in the sludge that makes it all worthwhile?

Yes

and

No !

Hunting for those diamonds in the dirt is always exciting - but not when that heap only consists of a new releases pile.
              Now scavenging through 100 odd years worth of spotty files is a different thing altogether.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
              Last edited by Guest; 13-06-11, 23:37.

Comment

<<
                Now scavenging through 100 odd years worth of spotty files is a different thing altogether.
                >>>

But even they were new releases once.

I'll keep looking for pearls to cast about and, of course, hardest of all, diamonds.

Comment

I'll keep looking for pearls to cast about and, of course, hardest of all, diamonds.
                  I still like the odd bit of rock!

By the way I hope that diamond wasn't a neil, G!
                  Last edited by johncorrigan; 14-06-11, 12:42.

Comment

My good album of the moment is 11 years old, so still a new release by the PS method.

2 tracks on the never-ending, the rest here

http://open.spotify.com/album/4xj5yzlKoJRy6qDYmDDxuH

or
                    here

there's something interesting in divorcing film soundtracks from their intended clips....

Comment

Well to my mind they're all new releases if you haven't heard it - let's face it 100% of the population have only
                      been given the opportunity to hear less than 0.000000001%* of all the music that's out there.

* Approx

So I've been trying to improve my % by listening to your precocious 11 year old !

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                        Well to my mind they're all new releases if you haven't heard it - let's face it 100% of the population have only
                        been given the opportunity to hear less than 0.000000001%* of all the music that's out there.
                        A point well made, we should all bear this in mind on this thread...Somehow I'm not sure you'd be able to stand a full album by the Afro Celt? It's evening listening somehow I think...over a glass or two of Pomeroy (cue posts about Rumpole, Cavanakeeran and other mysteries)

Comment

OK, my album of the day is one of the 25 albums of the year so far on NPR. It also happens to have been around rather longer on this side of the pond.

Here is the interview with performances:

Combining the unique sounds of the kora and the cello, Sissoko and Segal began playing together for fun and for the challenge, but ended up arriving together at a new sonic space. The duo recently performed a studio session for KEXP at the Cutting Room Studios in New York City.

And here is Robin Denselow's review. Blimey - he gave it a 4. Must be good then:

Second only to Toumani Diabate as a kora player, innovative griot Ballake Sissoko delivers a delicate, thoughtful album with the aid of French cellist Vincent Segal, writes Robin Denselow

(PS I feel that Jon Kertzer on KEXP, Seattle, has a similar broadcasting style to Charlie - http://kexp.org/dj/JonKertzer)
                          Last edited by Guest; 15-06-11, 13:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                            OK, my album of the day is one of the 25 albums of the year so far on NPR. It also happens to have been around rather longer on this side of the pond.

Here is the interview with performances:

Combining the unique sounds of the kora and the cello, Sissoko and Segal began playing together for fun and for the challenge, but ended up arriving together at a new sonic space. The duo recently performed a studio session for KEXP at the Cutting Room Studios in New York City.

And here is Robin Denselow's review. Blimey - he gave it a 4. Must be good then:

Second only to Toumani Diabate as a kora player, innovative griot Ballake Sissoko delivers a delicate, thoughtful album with the aid of French cellist Vincent Segal, writes Robin Denselow

(PS I feel that Jon Kertzer on KEXP, Seattle, has a similar broadcasting style to Charlie - http://kexp.org/dj/JonKertzer)
                            Has Ballake Sissoko made a duff album? If so, please don't tell me about it. This is, after all, the fellow who made the sublime New Ancient Strings.

I'm glad this thread is hotting up - definitely needs posts of the WM we are listening to, rather than ahem , new releases.

I don't what JC is listening to, but suspect I know what he is reading...

Comment

I don't what JC is listening to, but suspect I know what he is reading...
                              Global - so it's you who's been hacking into my library card?

.....I wondered where the phlegm came from!

....and once again I find myself in agreement with you - Ballake Sissoko - magnificent!
                              Last edited by johncorrigan; 15-06-11, 20:05. Reason: just checking for taste - yuck!

Comment

Eugh - kersplat!

This won't be a daily thing with me. More as and when - although expect a fair few contributions in the next few weeks while the excitement of it all is still new. Here is my selection for today and, yes, it was released in 2011, even if the recordings are not exactly recent. It comes from Brighton's Soundway Records, oddly voted only 4th best label at Womex last year. The fools! :

Here is the nice interview with some of the music:

More of the music:

Track: Lucho Bermudez y Su Orquesta Sabanera - Arroz Con Cocowww.soundwayrecords.com Click here to subscribe to Soundway Records - http://www.bit.ly/sub2sou...

And, of course, the BBC review -

Comment

Working...
                                X