Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love Angelique Kidjo. Here's her take on the Hendrix classic, 'Voodoo Chile'.
    Angelique Kidjo filmed for Australian TV while on tour in 1999. Sensational cover version of the Jimi Hendrix Classic Voodoo Chile. Awesome band, musical dir...

I believe she's on Glasto this weekend - hope the Beeb covers her performance.

Comment

Caught Seun Kuti & Egypt 80 on the BBC last night.

On iPlayer of course...

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
        Caught Seun Kuti & Egypt 80 on the BBC last night.

On iPlayer of course...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ej34mb/...65mn3/p0c802m6
        I'll look that out, G. Watching Angelique and her band at the moment - what a voice.

Comment

Just in from the Red Sea coast of Sudan here's Noori and his Dorpa Band playing a bit desert blues with Noori on his guitar/electric Tambour hybrid. Beautifully hypnotic, I thought - 'El Amal'.
          The first single from our upcoming record Beja Power! Electric Soul & Brass from Sudan's Red Sea Coast by Noori & His Dorpa Band.Pre-order (LP / DL / Stream)...

Happy African Saturday.

Comment

Vintage sounds from Mozambique.

Comment

Driving home last evening after a couple of weeks in the Hebs, the radio signal eventually tuned in and I listened to the rather irritating programme on Radio 4 'Add to Playlist'. Mind you, they played some fine tunes in there and this was one of them. This is glorious Tanzanian singing and thumb piano courtesy of Hukwe Zawose titled 'Sisitizo La Amani Duniani'.
              Discover more about Hukwe Zawose's album 'Chibite' - http://realworldrecords.com/release/90/chibite/

Happy African Saturday.

Comment

I was digging through the back of the CD drawers yesterday thinking I would find a gem that I hadn't heard for ages. Sure enough, I found one of the 'Arabesque' comps lurking back there. Among the delights was this fantastic version by Cheb Khaled of his song 'Liberté'.

Happy African Saturday.

Comment

Popping up all over the place on r3 at the moment (well, twice at least) and deservedly so.
                  Abel Selaocoe

Cellist, singer, and composer Abel Selaocoe joins with the legendary cellist Yo-Yo Ma and a musical ensemble in his original arrangement of the South African...

One of my favourite pieces of music of the year.

Comment

Popping up all over the place on r3 at the moment (well, twice at least) and deservedly so.
                    Abel Selaocoe

Cellist, singer, and composer Abel Selaocoe joins with the legendary cellist Yo-Yo Ma and a musical ensemble in his original arrangement of the South African...

One of my favourite pieces of music of the year.
                    Beautiful, GT. Thanks for that one. His voice is reminiscent of Joseph Shabalala, and that there Yo-Yo Ma really pops up in some great places.

I was digging around trying to recommend a Worldy record for a friend, so I've been listening to some fine old African and the likes things this last couple of days. Decided to have another listen to Afrocubism - I'd forgotten about 'Karamo' - delight written all over it.

Happy African Saturday.

Comment

On last evening's 'In Tune Mixtape' on BBC Radio 3 and on BBC Sounds I was treated to one of the tracks that introduced me to the sound of the kora. Toumani Diabate and Ballake Sissoko, both are from a long line of Malian griots recreated music that their fathers had played together. The record is called 'New Ancient Strings' and the track played last night was the magnificent 'Bi Lambam'.
                      Provided to YouTube by Reservoir Media Management, Inc.Bi Lambam · Toumani Diabaté · Ballake SissokoNew Ancient Strings℗ Chrysalis Records LimitedReleased on...

Comment

A truly marvellous album.
                        just checked and it was released in 1999.
                        All tracks written by Toumani Diabaté - I am very glad to have had the privilege of seeing him live.

Thanks for the reminder JC.

Comment

A truly marvellous album.
                          just checked and it was released in 1999.
                          All tracks written by Toumani Diabaté - I am very glad to have had the privilege of seeing him live.

Thanks for the reminder JC.
                          I think I had been listening to the Taj and Toumani album 'Kulanjan' which came out that year too, Global. (Joe Boyd and Lucy Duran highly involved) I met a guy at a fancy dress party and we were talking about 'Kulanjan', and he suggested I listen to 'New Ancient Strings' - no idea who the guy was but I have been grateful to him often since then. I believe that the record was inspired by the record 'Ancient Strings' which featured Toumani and Ballakes' fathers, Sidiki Diabaté and Djelimadi Sissoko.

Here's the Dads: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtR4TFFADto

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                            I think I had been listening to the Taj and Toumani album 'Kulanjan' which came out that year too, Global. (Joe Boyd and Lucy Duran highly involved) I met a guy at a fancy dress party and we were talking about 'Kulanjan', and he suggested I listen to 'New Ancient Strings' - no idea who the guy was but I have been grateful to him often since then. I believe that the record was inspired by the record 'Ancient Strings' which featured Toumani and Ballakes' fathers, Sidiki Diabaté and Djelimadi Sissoko.

Here's the Dads: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtR4TFFADto
                            of course all I really want to know is what you were dressed as?

in my imagination...

Comment

In the comments beneath this video Mohammed Mohammud says 'If you watching and listening to this glorious music from Congo let me tell you are fortunate to have good taste in music and you can consider yourself to be a friend of mine oyee'.
                              That seems fair enough to me on this African Saturday, so enjoy the beautiful rhythms of 4 Etoiles, made up of the Congolese musicians, Bopol Mansiamina, Wuta Mayi, Syran Mbenza and Nyboma, performing 'Double, Double' and be a pal of Mohammed, oyee.
                              Performance - 10 July 2010Les Quatre Etoiles is the Soukous musical group consisting of the Congolese musicians, Bopol Mansiamina, Wuta Mayi, Syran Mbenza an...

Comment

I hadn't heard of Pedro Lima, but he was considered the voice of Sao Tome, and the music certainly sounds very high life. Born in 1944, he died two or three years ago but Bongo Joe have issued a compilation of some of his best stuff and I heard this cracker on the Kershaw podcast last month... 'Non Conveta Quâ'
                                Provided to YouTube by !K7 MusicNon Conveta Quâ · Pedro LimaRecordar É Viver : Antologia Vol. 1℗ 2022 Les Disques Bongo JoeReleased on: 2022-08-19Producer: P...

Comment

Working...
                                X