Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As it turns out, the founding father of rock ‘n’ roll wasn’t a father at all – that distinction belongs to Sister Rosetta. A gospel-trained force of nature that broke barriers, stereotypes, and norms with astonishing regularity, her electrifying music predates the work of like-minded guitar legends including Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters, and Elvis. Sister Rosetta Tharpe unequivocally remains the textbook definition of an iconoclast – The Godmother of Rock ‘n’ Roll.

It's a 9 minute tribute to Sister Rosetta by Celisse and Amythyst. They do a pretty good job.
    Born Rosetta Nubin in 1915, Sister Rosetta Tharpe is an artist that rarely comes up in debates about the true founding father of rock ‘n’ roll. She fronted h...

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post

They do a pretty good job.
      They do indeed, Global...they had a fantastic act to follow.

Comment

A very good case for Sister Rosetta - apart altogether from the evidence of her performances on record. That railway station entrance and show was Glastonbury without the hysteria. Good post G.

Comment

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
          A very good case for Sister Rosetta - apart altogether from the evidence of her performances on record. That railway station entrance and show was Glastonbury without the hysteria. Good post G.
          I was in Manchester last week, Padraig, staying with an old school pal in Chorlton-cum-Hardy. He lives a mile from the very place that that performance took place back in '64 - it's not a railway station anymore - it's a tram stop next to a Morrison's Car Park, but I was delighted to go visit and feel the spirit of the great Sister Rosetta. It's still one of my favourite YouTube clips ever as she performed 'Didn't it Rain' in the Manchester rain to a soaking audience.
          Reelin’ In The Years Productions has available for licensing over 20,000 hours of music footage spanning 90 years. Additionally, we have more than 5,000 of h...

Comment

This evening, Stuart Maconie on his Radio 6 'Freak Zone' is celebrating eighty years on the planet of Yorkshire's Gavin Bryars. Maconie started out with the Portsmouth Symphonia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay-QStM4CS4

Here's the programme website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001pzsw

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
              This evening, Stuart Maconie on his Radio 6 'Freak Zone' is celebrating eighty years on the planet of Yorkshire's Gavin Bryars. Maconie started out with the Portsmouth Symphonia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay-QStM4CS4

Here's the programme website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001pzsw
              here's a good interview with him from 2017

Later this month, composer GAVIN BRYARS performs Nothing Like the Sun at the Howard Assembly Room in Leeds. He talks to NEIL MUDD about growing up in East Yorkshire, Shakespeare, jazzers and taking tea with Philip Glass and Aphex Twin.

Comment

here's a good interview with him from 2017

https://theculturevulture.co.uk/misc...ss-aphex-twin/
                In Maconie's programme, GT, I particularly enjoyed Juan Muñoz & Bălănescu Quartet doing Gav's 'Dealing from the Bottom'. Really fun, I thought. Hadn't heard it before.

Comment

'It may be rubbish, but by jingo, it's English Rubbish' - 'Morse Code Melody' by the Alberts and produced by George Martin said Monday to me as soon as I heard it on the Viv Stanshall Show.
                  Recorded 1962. From BY JINGO IT'S BRITISH RUBBISH © 1999 Hux Records

Comment

When we lived in London we went to see 2 short films by The Alberts in The Electric Cinema on Portobello Road - we only lived round the corner...a matinee on a Saturday afternoon.
                    We were the only ones in the cinema.

The projectionist asked us if we wanted our money back but we said we'd rather watch the films. I can't remember the films at all - but my recollection is that they weren't that funny but were blessedly short.

Bruce Lacey was the flute playing gardener in the Beatles film Help. He would hate being best known for that, but those pub quiz questions don't write themselves you know.

On the same album, the Temperance Seven - here they are in 2009 playing Hard Hearted Hannah. Great percussion performance.
                    The Temperance Seven performing live at Sylvie's Place October 14, 2009http://www.sylviesplace.co.uk

always worth another T7 track and in this one from 1962 they have considerably more energy and less timber...

This is a brief dedication video I made in 2004 on the passing of John Ross Twiston Davies, the great restoration engineer, and director of the Temperance Se...
                    Last edited by Globaltruth; 11-09-23, 14:26.

Comment

When we lived in London we went to see 2 short films by The Alberts in The Electric Cinema on Portobello Road - we only lived round the corner...a matinee on a Saturday afternoon.
                      We were the only ones in the cinema.

The projectionist asked us if we wanted our money back but we said we'd rather watch the films. I can't remember the films at all - but my recollection is that they weren't that funny but were blessedly short.

Bruce Lacey was the flute playing gardener in the Beatles film Help. He would hate being best known for that, but those pub quiz questions don't write themselves you know.
                      Global, On the 'Stanshall Radio Flashes' programme from '71 - well worth a listen if you have a couple of hours handy (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001bzn4) - Viv says that the Alberts were the bothers Douglas and Tony Gray who used to drive the Daily Mirror delivery vans at night dressed as Hussars, with Professor Bruce Lacey, kinetic sculptor, on vocals.

Top notch Temperance Seven tunes, by the way - that film from '62 seemed incredibly original for a pop promo of the time.

Comment

I wonder who the object of this assessment was.

You've Been A Good Ole Wagon (Bessie Smith, 1925) - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                          Global, On the 'Stanshall Radio Flashes' programme from '71 - well worth a listen if you have a couple of hours handy (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001bzn4) - Viv says that the Alberts were the bothers Douglas and Tony Gray who used to drive the Daily Mirror delivery vans at night dressed as Hussars, with Professor Bruce Lacey, kinetic sculptor, on vocals.

Top notch Temperance Seven tunes, by the way - that film from '62 seemed incredibly original for a pop promo of the time.
                          "the bothers" - they certainly were

Comment

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                            I wonder who the object of this assessment was.

You've Been A Good Ole Wagon (Bessie Smith, 1925) - YouTube
                            "You've Been a Good Old Wagon but You Done Broke Down", was written by Ben Harney and arranged by Johnny Biller in 1896. Ben Harney did much to popularise ragtime, this track was one of the breakthrough tracks. This version by Bessie Smith has Louis Armstrong on trumpet.

Listen here pretty papa
                            Leave, get out of my sight
                            I'm playing quits now
                            Right from this very night

you've had your days
                            Don't stand and frown
                            You've been a good old wagon, daddy, but you done broke down

You'd better go to the blacksmith shop
                            Get yourself overhauled
                            There's nothin' about you
                            To make a good woman bawl

Nobody wants a baby
                            When a real man can be found

When the sun is shining
                            It's time to make haste
                            Now it's raining all the time
                            And you can't make your old wagon pay

When you were in your prime
                            You used to love to run around

No need to cry
                            Or to make a big show
                            This man has taught me more about lovin'
                            Than you will ever know

He is the king of lovin'
                            Just minus of a crown
                            He's a good old wagon, daddy, and he ain't broke down
                            As you can see the lyrics above don't match with those few shown below....

Wagon_sheet_music.jpg

None of the above helps answer your question Padraig, and I suspect we'll never know - possibly no real person, just a figment of Ben Harney's imagination.

Comment

We don’t have many rock videos but this is definitely one of the greatest rock videos EVER

Comment

We don’t have many rock videos but this is definitely one of the greatest rock videos EVER
                                https://youtu.be/1kFP7dJ6VZc?si=MBRmFdvkh8NB1n86
                                Dr Ringo should cut the jibber-jabber and get himself to Stonehenge, Global.

Comment

Working...
                                X