Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just when you thought it was safe to turn your radio on at 10 pm on a Sunday night, our friendly R3 schedulers have got WR on the move again - it's half ten tonight and Lucy's presenting a three-quarters of an hour tribute to the Cesaria Evora.
    Lucy Duran presents a tribute to the 'barefoot Diva', Cesaria Evora from Cape Verde.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      Just when you thought it was safe to turn your radio on at 10 pm on a Sunday night, our friendly R3 schedulers have got WR on the move again - it's half ten tonight and Lucy's presenting a three-quarters of an hour tribute to the Cesaria Evora.
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01blpxh
      Good to hear Charlie G on interview duties on the show last night - from a WR session in 2004 with Cesaria.

Comment

Good to hear Charlie G on interview duties on the show last night - from a WR session in 2004 with Cesaria.
        yes, an absolute treat to hear charlie's interview style AND the guest being cesaria evora. she's quoted as being the 'passport' to acceptance of cape verdi culture around the world. it was amusing to hear the clip of lucy excitedly reporting from outside evora's home, a couple of years ago ....!

touching to hear evora's longterm songwriter singing on 'world routes' too. lucy bought us back to the present ....with the welcome reminder that neither the songs, nor the voice, will ever really leave us, as there's such a huge body of recorded material left to us....(evora compared her vaste mental memory of songs to a computer)!

so all in all, a particularly haunting 'world routes'.

rip to top gent charlie, and to cesaria with her gentle melodies and her bare feet!

reason for edit: triple trypos

Comment

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
          it was amusing to hear the clip of lucy excitedly reporting from outside evora's home, a couple of years ago ....!
          Yep, she was like an Elvis fan visiting Graceland, so excited she was....and she never even got in.

Comment

World Routes tonight at 10.00 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01bs9ds

Lucy meets bands of Albanian musicians from around the Tropoje region, as well as neighbouring Kosovo, and heads up in to the mountains to an isolated village to record some of the old domestic songs of the region, and hear about arranged marriages.

She also meets a Maje Krahu singer, a man who has walked 3 hours from his village to meet her and sing in the old style used to communicate the threat of invasion to the remote villages.

Produced by Peter Meanwell. [that little link there is for the Global Jukeboxer]

I don't think this marriage was arranged, more two people with a common interesting in motoring...

Comment

Mary Ann back in Canada for a night out in Joliette and although it was just basically a concert with a couple of interviews inserted it was a really enjoyable one. Not sure I learned a lot but I loved the music and the guys from De Temps Antan were great company. Terrific tunes. Wonder where Mary Ann will get shipped off to next.

Comment

Mary Ann back in Canada for a night out in Joliette and although it was just basically a concert with a couple of interviews inserted it was a really enjoyable one. Not sure I learned a lot but I loved the music and the guys from De Temps Antan were great company. Terrific tunes. Wonder where Mary Ann will get shipped off to next.
                Ach, can't pull the wool over your eyes, John! Actually, this programme did turn out to be something of a bonus, but the gig was so good, the session that it broke into seemed to illustrate so well the music at its collaborative best, and the Chants des Vielles festival also sat so well as a single - and singular - experience - that it seemed a good idea to revel in both in their own time.

And with beers called Morte Subite and Stout Ecossais (not 'e'!) from their own micro, it was a great night all round. Martin Appleby on sound (happy big birthday that night to him also!) and Roger Short producing made for a great trip all round. Thanks to themselves and all the Qubecois who were so generous with their time and tunes! But I still don't get Poutine, and that's serious from a Glaswegian...

Any (return journey guaranteed) suggestions for new destinations?!

Comment

Originally posted by Oilrig View Post

Any (return journey guaranteed) suggestions for new destinations?!
                  Got to be Ethiopia for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQGBoRS5eT0

The history of the traditional music is fascinating, shrouded in mystery, as I'm sure you know. And I'd be interested to know how the music is surviving and evolving.

However I suspect, based on a recollection from a while back that JC may have a more compelling suggestion which should definitely be followed up....?

Comment

I don't think we have had the Maoris? There is also a list of almost everything (!) on a fairly recent thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post

However I suspect, based on a recollection from a while back that JC may have a more compelling suggestion which should definitely be followed up....?
                      I can't think what that was Global - unless perhaps the musical roots of Candomblé, or the String bands of Pentecost Island Vanuatu. Otherwise proffer me with a clue.

Comment

I can't think what that was Global - unless perhaps the musical roots of Candomblé, or the String bands of Pentecost Island Vanuatu. Otherwise proffer me with a clue.
                        It was those Pentecost Islands I was thinking of - definitely worth a prog, don't they have a history of cargo (and DoE) worship? Should make for some interesting toons...

Comment

It was those Pentecost Islands I was thinking of - definitely worth a prog, don't they have a history of cargo (and DoE) worship? Should make for some interesting toons...
                          I got a CD from my sister recorded in a field studio in Pentecost, Global, which got a few plays from MA and LK a while back. If you scroll down this page to Step Wan, you could hear a couple of tracks.

On the subject of the John Frum Cargo Cult I'm pretty sure that's Tanna, one of the other islands on the archipelago - they've also got the tribe on Tanna who 'worship' the Chookie Embra, who they believe was born to a deity at the foot of the volcano and is reputed to be the brother of John Frum. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Philip_Movement
                          I'm sure Mary Ann would do it justice. I'm sure I could sort out a minder for her.

Comment

I got a CD from my sister recorded in a field studio in Pentecost, Global, which got a few plays from MA and LK a while back. If you scroll down this page to Step Wan, you could hear a couple of tracks.

On the subject of the John Frum Cargo Cult I'm pretty sure that's Tanna, one of the other islands on the archipelago - they've also got the tribe on Tanna who 'worship' the Chookie Embra, who they believe was born to a deity at the foot of the volcano and is reputed to be the brother of John Frum. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Philip_Movement
                            I'm sure Mary Ann would do it justice. I'm sure I could sort out a minder for her.
                            Over to you Oilrig, or Dr Lucy...

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01bs9ds

Lucy meets bands of Albanian musicians from around the Tropoje region, as well as neighbouring Kosovo, and heads up in to the mountains to an isolated village to record some of the old domestic songs of the region, and hear about arranged marriages.

She also meets a Maje Krahu singer, a man who has walked 3 hours from his village to meet her and sing in the old style used to communicate the threat of invasion to the remote villages.

Produced by Peter Meanwell. [that little link there is for the Global Jukeboxer]

I don't think this marriage was arranged, more two people with a common interesting in motoring...

thanks for the reminder, and great pic globaltruth! it's always good to have at least one mutual interest in relationships

what a fantastic trip to northern albania this must have been! so glad it's still on 'listen again', as i thought i'd missed it, having caught the last song at the beginning of 'jazz line up'.

lucy is generally so tactful, which i love. expressed, in particular, in the conversation about albanians once being 'forced to sing for old regime', and once again lucy requesting he sing that tune ..... she asked might he 'resent her authority'? ....and apologised to him.

the translations of lyric narrative were all fantastic, revealing imaginative storylines .... such as, a lover returning from the grave to provide a hug, and place his teeth on his true love's cheek! as well as songs to keep out the turks and serbs etc from the remote region. (singing wars would be such a progression on bullets ...though not the way the hideous simon cowell does it domesticly)!

the northern albanian musical instruments, rhythms and melodic structures sounded suspiciously kurdish .... they love to sing too, and especially together. the very last track from northern albania had some dual singing, i wonder if this is actually more common but the festival featured soloists, and lucy's unique guest meant that the solo voice was focused upon? i am also grateful that maje krahu made that long journey to meet lucy and make a recording .... top man!

somewhere on here, paddy bush was mentioned as a possible beeb presenter ... which is a great idea, but he wouldn't want to live here presumably..... (comparitively who would)? but a regular beeb show from the african ocean island, provided by paddy is an example of typical wasted opportunity, in my boook at least.

i am also very sorry to here of scottish plans for changes to schedule..... has scotland caught the london beeb illness of acute short sightedness, complicated by muddled priorities, or what? i'm leaving a sheeps head for each poster on this thread ..... and a pair of lambs bollocks for the abysmal scottish management of ch ch ch change..... the 'spiders from mars' song featuring the lyrics 'turn and face the strain' springs to mind (and not for the first time either) as per beeb radio plans for the future.

(btw lateral thinking1's comprehensive lists (in relation to all sorts of subjects) are remarkabley diligent, and usually impress....but where's the particular list in this instance ...which thread? it's a really tough question as to 'which region to return to'? ......... there's been so many fantastic offerings from so many countries.....but 'spoilt for choice' is not a bad position for listeners to be in, mind you.

Comment

Thank you for the good words hf. It is number 2 on the wish list thread. More brainstorm than absolute quality control but I could put up an argument for all of it. From memory, quite a lot of people contributed so it is worthwhile looking at all the posts.

Comment

Working...
                                X