Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Greek tonight and they're reviewing Khaled's latest which is getting a bit of a roasting for being Europoppish, but I kinda liked the tracks Colesy played in his shed this week.
    With Kalia Baklitzanaki in session, plus a review of new music from around the world.

Comment

what an interesting edition of 'world routes' last night .... i enjoyed the chat enormously... and personally was glad of the chap who was more critical, and prepared to make waves as a 'wr' guest. what a relief to actually play music, and discuss any war torn place .... at the actual time of troubles(a practice which often seems to have become a broadcasting tabu of late - eg too sensitive etc)? the discussion about mali was more than welcome, and i felt like a responsible adult whilst listening, a bit like 'the good old days' pre 9/11!

i am disappointed to learn that dr duran wont be here in 100 yrs, ....

though according to dismal predictions about the style of future music exposure, marketing techniques etc....... there'll apparently be no definitive musical roots, eg little music history ...just endless new mix compilations: out of context, almost anonymous, and sort of hanging, suspended for the listener to 'use and discard after use'! :#(

no wonder the doctor's glad she'll be 'on the other side' by then. ;~)

i enjoyed the music on the various compilations played, (from what i heard). especially track 16, (as selected by the disruptive/questioning male guest), and played/sung by musicians based in london .....which admittedly doesn't always work out! but i thought actually did on this occasion. (will have to check all the programme details ... but haven't as yet, as i listened on my radio, while looking at the snow from my window: bliss)!

i thought the 'wr' guest from crete was really interesting, in conversation, and also her fascinating musical output, which i thought exceptionally beautiful.... though in translation she may well need help from an agony aunt, about her 'approach to love' generally perhaps? there is a point where 'romantic' ends, and 'foolish' applies.... not that this matters a jot sung in her own language! her singing sounded extraordinarily lyrical, sometimes bird-like ....to these contemporary english ears! i guess, if that was also her, playing the flute parts (last track of 'wr')...then perhaps she's amalgamated ancient flute and vocal styles to an elegant cretean perfection.

Today’s and tonight’s Charing Cross, England weather forecast, weather conditions and Doppler radar from The Weather Channel and Weather.com

*i must remember to have a listen again, and also check the prog notes to this edition of 'wr'.

Comment

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
        what an interesting edition of 'world routes' last night .... i enjoyed the chat enormously... and personally was glad of the chap who was more critical, and prepared to make waves as a 'wr' guest. what a relief to actually play music, and discuss any war torn place .... at the actual time of troubles(a practice which often seems to have become a broadcasting tabu of late - eg too sensitive etc)? the discussion about mali was more than welcome, and i felt like a responsible adult whilst listening, a bit like 'the good old days' pre 9/11!

i am disappointed to learn that dr duran wont be here in 100 yrs, ....

though according to dismal predictions about the style of future music exposure, marketing techniques etc....... there'll apparently be no definitive musical roots, eg little music history ...just endless new mix compilations: out of context, almost anonymous, and sort of hanging, suspended for the listener to 'use and discard after use'! :#(

no wonder the doctor's glad she'll be 'on the other side' by then. ;~)

i enjoyed the music on the various compilations played, (from what i heard). especially track 16, (as selected by the disruptive/questioning male guest), and played/sung by musicians based in london .....which admittedly doesn't always work out! but i thought actually did on this occasion. (will have to check all the programme details ... but haven't as yet, as i listened on my radio, while looking at the snow from my window: bliss)!

i thought the 'wr' guest from crete was really interesting, in conversation, and also her fascinating musical output, which i thought exceptionally beautiful.... though in translation she may well need help from an agony aunt, about her 'approach to love' generally perhaps? there is a point where 'romantic' ends, and 'foolish' applies.... not that this matters a jot sung in her own language! her singing sounded extraordinarily lyrical, sometimes bird-like ....to these contemporary english ears! i guess, if that was also her, playing the flute parts (last track of 'wr')...then perhaps she's amalgamated ancient flute and vocal styles to an elegant cretean perfection.

Today’s and tonight’s Charing Cross, England weather forecast, weather conditions and Doppler radar from The Weather Channel and Weather.com

*i must remember to have a listen again, and also check the prog notes to this edition of 'wr'.
        I'm in total agreement of your review. It was a splendid programme. Dr. Lucy's natural style is not that of any kind of Dee-jay or recorded music presenter, so to sit her in the chair of that panel worked well. There was, as you imply, a little bit of reassurance for some of us. I do have a soft spot for that fusion thang though - sometimes it does work well; sorting the wheat from the chaff is a challenge.

Anyway, with my host hat on (it's red with a gold tassel and usually worn at a rakish angle)
        the tracklist is up now
        http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pyfrc

and that questioning feller has his own website y'know
        http://www.andymorganwrites.com/

Oh yes, just to shortcut the inevitable here's the hat pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post

and that questioning feller has his own website y'know
          http://www.andymorganwrites.com/
          Thanks. Some very interesting stuff about Mali situation in Andy Morgan's site, Global - and I'd certainly get him and Sue Steward back in for WR another time - that was the liveliest WR music review I've heard - a great listen - the Cretan singer Kalia Baklitzanaki was very good too I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
            Thanks. Some very interesting stuff about Mali situation in Andy Morgan's site, Global - and I'd certainly get him and Sue Steward back in for WR another time - that was the liveliest WR music review I've heard - a great listen - the Cretan singer Kalia Baklitzanaki was very good too I thought.
            Yes, but was it 4/4 time gentlemen please JC??

Comment

Doesn't that come at the end of a round?

Comment

It's a 4x4 we need up here today, Global.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                  It's a 4x4 we need up here today, Global.
                  I reckon that'd get stuck in time JC....

Comment

I reckon that'd get stuck in time JC....
                    ...nice one , G.

Comment

i guess, if that was also her, playing the *flute parts (last track of 'wr')...then perhaps she's amalgamated ancient flute and vocal styles to an elegant cretean perfection.

just to correct myself: it was a nay - not a *flute.

Comment

They're re-running the 2nd part of Oilrig's trip to Cape Breton which I recall being most enjoyable and interesting first time round.

Comment

There was a homely feel to World Routes last night with World Routes Academy protegee, Fidan Hajiyeva - all about the Azeri music and favourite tunes of her folks and the like. Lucy sounded right in her element as though she was on a field trip.

Comment

If you enjoy a spot of classical guitar it's hard not to love Paraguay's Berta Rojas in last night's World Routes from Asuncion.
                            Lucy Duran meets one of the world's greatest classical guitarists, Berta Rojas.

Comment

Saharawi singer Aziza Brahim from the refugee camps in SW Algeria - great singing made all the more fascinating by the conversation with Lucy which kind of followed up some of the issues covered in the R4 programme earlier this year.
                              Liked the Lebanese singer Yasmine Hamdan in the CD section - Mark Coles played a rather excellent track by her this last week from his shed.
                              Lucy Duran presents new world music and a session from Saharawi singer Aziza Brahim.

Comment

Dr LD featured on r4 POTW y'know

(in long-hand: The fine & fabulous good Doctor Lucy Duran of the legendary School Of Oriental Studies was featured at the end of the recent BBC Radio 4 programme, Pick Of The Week. Rightly So.)

Comment

Working...
                                X