Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothin' much to add to that fine comprehensive post Global except to say that I thought Les Freres Dambele were really terrific. Dr Duran in home territory and still doin' the business.

Oh and that final track from Super Biton de Segou was really something special.
    Last edited by johncorrigan; 02-01-12, 12:37. Reason: thought I'd add the bit about Super Biton de Segou.

Comment

More terrific Malagasy music last night and especially from that Justin Valli and his valiha.

Comment

Do we think Lucy and the gang bought a cut price bunch of tickets to Madagascar?

I agree with your comment on the other thread JC, prog 3 was the best. So far.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
          Do we think Lucy and the gang bought a cut price bunch of tickets to Madagascar?
          They should give us a Board week out to the Indian Ocean on their air miles, Global. I assume it's what Mary Ann was saying following the broadcast of her two WR programmes from Canada - they found enough material to make another one. Sounds like they've done the same for the Malagasy trip except got another couple. Anyway it's always great to hear that valiha - such an uplifting sound.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
            They should give us a Board week out to the Indian Ocean on their air miles, Global. .
            ~Actually all we need is a loan of their tape recorder and I reckon we could put something together...

In fact an interesting idea (Wish List alert) would be to make a programme of World Music that is being played here in our dis-United Kingdom. So we wouldn't need any AirMiles at all, just the BBC's generous mileage allowance.

Comment

In fact an interesting idea (Wish List alert) would be to make a programme of World Music that is being played here in our dis-United Kingdom. So we wouldn't need any AirMiles at all, just the BBC's generous mileage allowance.
              On that subject Global here's an article from the Guardian on Friday on the rise of UKAfrobeats which I found interesting.
              It's the new sound of the UK underground, reworking the African pop of Fela Kuti for kids reared on grime, hip-hop and funky house. With stars like Kanye West wanting in, just how big will it get?

......and on the topic of World Routes on the Road that was a fantastic track that Lucy and James had Cerys playing from the Andes this morning.

Comment

On that subject Global here's an article from the Guardian on Friday on the rise of UKAfrobeats which I found interesting.
                It's the new sound of the UK underground, reworking the African pop of Fela Kuti for kids reared on grime, hip-hop and funky house. With stars like Kanye West wanting in, just how big will it get?

Here's the link to the download they mention in The Graun....I haven't listened to all 32 tracks but the samples I have checked out (dig my crazy street talk bro) doesn't sound too different from the usual identikit beat stuff.
                Disappointing...

Perhaps DJ Abrantee isn't a good representative, but he is the focus of the article you mention.

Comment

That's what I get for reading this stuff in the funny papers - you're absolutely right - full of them voice changers - not afrobeat - just beats. Pardon the cul-de-sac.

Comment

That's what I get for reading this stuff in the funny papers - you're absolutely right - full of them voice changers - not afrobeat - just beats. Pardon the cul-de-sac.
                    JC - don't you think it would have been an idea if the journo had done his homework, rather than leaving it to us?
                    Fela should be a source of inspiration, possibly not a role model...

Comment

Found these:

Ariya Astrobeat Arkestra - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A87xNUo2uFw (From Leeds)

Saravah Soul - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaXgA...eature=related (Everything but the Kitchen Sink)

Antibalas - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSasE...eature=related (Performed in "Fela!")

Budos Band - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snywC...eature=related (Accompany Charles Bradley)

and The Beatles - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km6yQbdAVQI
                      Last edited by Guest; 23-01-12, 21:28.

Comment

A heartening set of utoobs JC, I'm energised for the day now (hopefully)...Fascinating story in the comments of the last one.

Now we just need to get them in front of that lazy journo...

Thanks.

Comment

A heartening set of utoobs JC, I'm energised for the day now (hopefully)...Fascinating story in the comments of the last one.

Now we just need to get them in front of that lazy journo...

Thanks.
                          You're getting like my mum Global - can't tell us apart! That was Lat doing the business on the turntables there - I'd never have unearthed such fine tunes - especially enjoyed Ariya Astrobeat Arkestra and Antibalas and I didn't know about the Fela/Macca altercation - the thing about McCartney was his ability to write songs in any style and make a good job of it, so perhaps etc etc.

On the subject of that Guardian column, comments are now closed so pretty pointless there.

But on the subject of last evening's WR, Paddy Bush's story of how he heard his first Madagascan record was great, especially the trip across Glastonbury on the back of the motorbike; and then how he made the instrument based on a photo of Robert Rindy from the cover of the LP before eventually meeting him years later. The return trip to the fishing village with Lucy is tinged with sadness as well when Paddy finds out that Rindy has died and Lucy has to witness yet another goat sacrifice - she doesn't like it - great bit of documentary. Maybe they should make a programme about Paddy Bush - he's a gas!
                          Lucy Duran travels to Tulear and Anakao in Madagascar to hear traditional music.
                          Last edited by johncorrigan; 23-01-12, 11:11. Reason: a dearth of consonants and a preponderance of vowels!

Comment

Whoops - sorry Lat, I'll conveniently blame it on your Nu-look avatar...
                            I've never been compared to anyone's mother before - but are you sure those socks are clean JC - and where's your scarf, you'll be glad of it later. And give me a hand skinning this goat....[img removed to spare those with delicate stomachs]

Not listened to WR yet, it's on the list;
                            But I did see some comments on Dr L on Cerys which were mixed in their opinion - the hoary old topic of Dr. L's 'poshness' reared its head, which seemed to be more important than the music played. A shame.
                            Last edited by Globaltruth; 23-01-12, 14:46.

Comment

Whoops - sorry Lat, I'll conveniently blame it on your Nu-look avatar...
                              I've never been compared to anyone's mother before - but are you sure those socks are clean JC - and where's your scarf, you'll be glad of it later. And give me a hand skinning this goat....[img removed to spare those with delicate stomachs]

Not listened to WR yet, it's on the list;
                              But I did see some comments on Dr L on Cerys which were mixed in their opinion - the hoary old topic of Dr. L's 'poshness' reared its head, which seemed to be more important than the music played. A shame.
                              Global - my mum calls me James ( brother) and regularly Helen (sister, the one who lives half a world away) - she's done it for as long as I can remember, running through a littany of names before getting to the one she's aiming for - it ain't an age thing with my mum.

Sad to hear the posh came up re Lucy - I thought she and James brought a much needed level of decorum to trashy old 6Music - I mean have you heard Andrew Motion on with Jarvis - now that's posh. I think Cerys still needs some work on her interview skills - they haven't improved much since the Olof Arnalds interview ages back.

Comment

The irony being that I got the name of the second band wrong. Now corrected to Saravah Soul!

I did dip in to the Guardian tracks. It seems right to accept new musical developments and appreciate that those are being enjoyed by new generations. "Alongside" is fine as long as it doesn't mean that traditional forms resurrected only in recent decades are not to be lost or don't develop in themselves. The problem is that coverage of the latter can be so patchy in the prevailing tide. I am also open to the idea that something interesting can be found in the new but by definition a lot of it is copyism.

The programmes mentioned sound fascinating and I will definitely listen to them. Don't get to hear as much of Cerys as anticipated. When I do, I like the way she presents more than most on 6music, and her choice of music. It surprises me because Catatonia were never one of my indie bands of choice.

I have never heard Paddy Bush being interviewed but always thought that he brought a special kind of sound to "The Sensual World" which made it one of his sister's best.

As for Lucy, I always feel that she is the right kind of "posh". I find class is irrelevant if there is a mixture of enthusiasm and education but it might be that for some those things are an indicator of difference. I blame the word "ethnomusicologist".

Comment

Working...
                                X