• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What calendar have you for 2019?

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      What calendar have you for 2019?
      Good Q cloughie - we are all agog with anticipation....

We missed the great Cab Calloway and Joe Louis Walker on the 25th
      here's a couple of videos to make up for that...
      A classic Snow White/Betty Boop St James infirmary by CC:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFBx3qYGxL8
      then Joe Louis Walker live doing a Sonny Boy Williamson number.
      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Today? Well, not having a calendar, I can only find Matt "Guitar" Murphy
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TZXe__VzUY
      I ain't got not time. hmm...

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
        Good Q cloughie - we are all agog with anticipation.......
        Given the success of last year, looks like my good buddy has sent me 2019's edition of the same complete with new CD of niceties and rarities.

Today? Well, not having a calendar, I can only find Matt "Guitar" Murphy
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TZXe__VzUY
        I ain't got not time. hmm...
        One of my total favourites, Global...what a player! I think this is Matt playing here with Sonny Boy. I love this lick!
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
          Given the success of last year, looks like my good buddy has sent me 2019's edition of the same complete with new CD of niceties and rarities.

One of my total favourites, Global...what a player! I think this is Matt playing here with Sonny Boy. I love this lick!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

Comment

Happy Blues Year!

Another year, another blues calendar. I'll probably be going back over some old ground but I know I got started pretty late last year so let me not miss the great Frank Stokes who as well as recording solo also recorded with the Beale Street Sheiks. He was born 1888 in Whitehaven, Tennessee but was brought up by his uncle in Tutwiler, Mississippi after his parents died. Probably best just to leave you in the very capable hands of the legendary Joe Boyd A-Z podcasts - he covered Frank in letter T from New year three years back, though he does say that Frank was born in 1887.
              http://www.joeboyd.co.uk/podcast-player (T)

...and Frank was also the subject of one of R Crumb's great drawings.

Comment

...and Frank was also the subject of one of R Crumb's great drawings.
                We might treat ourselves to a few of RC's works including FS.

What's the collective noun for a group of blues singers?
                - A misery?

On the mudcat forum, a couple of suggestions are "a bemoan" or "a whinge".
                Mind you, they also favour a cacophony of harmonica players and, of course,
                A capella of unaccompanied vocal singers...

Comment

We might treat ourselves to a few of RC's works including FS.

What's the collective noun for a group of blues singers?
                  - A misery?

On the mudcat forum, a couple of suggestions are "a bemoan" or "a whinge".
                  Mind you, they also favour a cacophony of harmonica players and, of course,
                  A capella of unaccompanied vocal singers...
                  A misfortune of blues singers.

They had something to be miserable about.

Crumb here, Silverstein with Dr Hook...….it is the week of the cartoonists.

Sadly when I was in Ipswich I missed this statue in memory of Carl Giles.

His grandma......now that is what I would call a whinge.

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                    A misfortune of blues singers.
                    "An awakening"?
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      "An awakening"?

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        "An awakening"?
                        Aw, that's very good Ferney….

(who I always thought was a Yorkshireman but now it turns out he used to live just up the road from the De Warr)

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                          (who I always thought was a Yorkshireman but now it turns out he used to live just up the road from the De Warr)
                          Ouch! Born in Lancashire, lived there for 18-and-a-half years, then in Leeds, Durham, London, Eastbourne, and Burnley before moving to this bit of the Pennines overlooked by 8thOb's cyber hill 22 years ago. (To solve the "Lancashire/Yorkshire" squabble I prefer to think of the Pennines as my "home". )
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Rubin 'Rube' Lacey was born this day in 1901 in Pelahatchie, Mississippi. He is reputed to have been a major inspiration to Son House and I think you'll hear it in this - 'Mississippi Jail House Blues' one of only two songs that Rube recorded, although he was a very popular performer in the 20s. Seems that Rube gave up the blues in the late 20s and took to the Ministry instead.
                            ► Facebook: https://goo.gl/znyLkf► Amazon: https://goo.gl/LJzKoKBiggest collection of Most Wanted Recordings from Artists like Frank Sinatra, Doris Day, Elvi...

Comment

Hudson Woodbridge was born 8th January 1904 in Smithville, Georgia. He was brought up by his Grandparents and earned his nickname, Tampa Red because of the town they raised him in, Tampa Florida, and also the light colour of his skin. He played in a Hawaiian style using a bottleneck and also played the Kazoo. His career seems to have been kick-started by Ma Rainey, but he played with lots of the greats from Big Bill and Memphis Minnie, Leroy Carr, Frankie 'Half pint' Jaxon, the Hokum Boys and Mahalia Jackson.

Here's the terrific 'Hard Road Blues'.

Comment

Hudson Woodbridge was born 8th January 1904 in Smithville, Georgia. He was brought up by his Grandparents and earned his nickname, Tampa Red because of the town they raised him in, Tampa Florida, and also the light colour of his skin. He played in a Hawaiian style using a bottleneck and also played the Kazoo. His career seems to have been kick-started by Ma Rainey, but he played with lots of the greats from Big Bill and Memphis Minnie, Leroy Carr, Frankie 'Half pint' Jaxon, the Hokum Boys and Mahalia Jackson.

Here's the terrific 'Hard Road Blues'.
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT74VypHtM0
                                I was listening yesterday to Mud Morganfield, son of Muddy Waters and Mildred McGhee.

Couldn't quite decide on his merits.

But see he is touring again soon, eg at the 100 Club, even though he is not young.

Comment

Working...
                                X