Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who says lightnin' don't strike twice - later this we ek we'll be celebrating L Hopkins' arrival on the planet, but today it's Lightnin' Slim, born this day in 1913 in St Louis, Missouri.
    It's Mighty Crazy
    From I'm Evil: Rare and Unissued Excello Masters. Lightnin' Slim sings and Lazy Lester on harp.

Comment

Sam Hopkins was born this day in 1912 in Centreville, in Leon County Texas a bit north of Houston. Hopkins, who is often quoted as one of the great guitarists, met and played with Blind Lemon Jefferson in the 20s, acting as Lemon's sighted guide. He did a bit of time during the 30s, but though he played around the Houston scene it was just after the war that he made his first recording, when he was teamed with pianist Wilson 'Thunder' Smith, and was given the name 'Lightnin'.

He made a name for himself playing both acoustic and electric music through into the 50s at which point he went out of fashion. He reappeared in the 60s folk revival, reinvented as a folk/blues artist and working with the likes of Sam Charters, who produced him for Folkways which released him from the Houston circuit and had him go round the College and Coffee House circuit and on to Europe.

He kept performing into the 1980s.

Here he is playing 'Mojo Hand'
      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

...and a great take on '(Baby Please don't go) Back to New Orleans'
      Back To New Orleans (Brownie McGhee, Sonny Terry)Now baby, please don't goNow baby, please don't goNow baby, please don't go back to New OrleansYou know I lo...
      Last edited by johncorrigan; 15-03-18, 13:13.

Comment

Not a birthday but this terrific song by Bessie Brown turned up on a compilation that I received. Here she is singing 'Song from a Cotton Field' from some time in the 20s.
        This is a splendid 1920s recording by the "Original" Bessie Brown (1895 - 1955). Some classic vintage images.Please spread the message of artistic defiance.

Comment

I've told you before JC - you should ask for your money back.
          They missed Ry Cooder and Leonard Chess (the father of America's greatest blues label) - both on March 15.

As we're discussing the Irish on the African thread, I feel there won't be a problem playing this Mexican track by Mr Cooder here:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBSidn2tNEo
          Who knew Harry Dean Stanton could sing so well?

and here's an original interpretation of the same song:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFSpgjmfCIs

Still not quite Tuesday...

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
            I've told you before JC - you should ask for your money back.
            They missed Ry Cooder and Leonard Chess (the father of America's greatest blues label) - both on March 15.

As we're discussing the Irish on the African thread, I feel there won't be a problem playing this Mexican track by Mr Cooder here:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBSidn2tNEo
            Who knew Harry Dean Stanton could sing so well?

and here's an original interpretation of the same song:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFSpgjmfCIs

Still not quite Tuesday...
            Yeah, Global, Ry's a bit too New School for my Calendar, and Leonard's not in there either...the calendar is more interested in the acts he made money from, it would appear, than in Lenny himself. I've missed quite a few out along the way...it's laziness on my part. By the way, I did know that Harry Dean could chant a bit. The only time I saw Ry, sometime in the late 80s in Glasgow, Mr Stanton came on and did a couple of songs with Ry, Flaco and the boys, and mighty delightful it was, I seem to recall.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
              I've missed quite a few out along the way...it's laziness on my part.
              it's a very nice thread though....

By the way, I did know that Harry Dean could chant a bit. The only time I saw Ry, sometime in the late 80s in Glasgow, Mr Stanton came on and did a couple of songs with Ry, Flaco and the boys, and mighty delightful it was, I seem to recall.
              Wish I'd seen that one....

Comment

Wish I'd seen that one....
                Me and Mrs C and our pal somehow found ourselves in row C in a huge auditorium, Global. Perfect! My brother was way up back and said he couldn't hear a blinkin' thing. I don't think he's forgiven Ry.
                Tomorrow's the birthdate of Eddie James House born just north of Clarksdale, Mississippi on 21st March 1902 and given the name 'Son'. Son House is another of those great bluesmen who walked the fine line serving as a preacher in his young day before trading it in for a slide guitar and a spell in Parchman Farm. He played with Charley Patton and recorded with him in the early 30s. Locally he was a major influence on Robert Johnson and he was recorded by Lomax in the early 40s for the Library of Congress. Like other great delta bluesmen he was rediscovered in the early 60s and persuaded out of retirement, and of course he remains a major influence for the likes of Jack White and Bonnie Raitt among others.

Here's Son House giving 'Levee Camp Blues' big licks!
                SON HOUSE - Levee Camp Blues.Eddie James "Son" House, Jr. (March 21, 1902 - October 19, 1988) was an American blues singer and guitarist. House pioneered an ...

Comment

Sounds great. I’m hoping they don’t miss Sister Rosetta Tharpe though ....

Comment

Sounds great. I’m hoping they don’t miss Sister Rosetta Tharpe though ....
                    Oh no, GT! I'm glad I kept the packaging handy and the return address, Global.
                    However, in my book there's never a bad time to recall her trip to Manchester.
                    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Oh no, GT! I'm glad I kept the packaging handy and the return address, Global.
                      However, in my book there's never a bad time to recall her trip to Manchester.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnAQATKRBN0
                      JC - that was the VERY clip I was about to post. An absolute classic. always cheers me up...

Roses for Sister Rosetta

Comment

Aretha is 76 today so I suggest we roll out the requisite amount of trombones to mark the great lady's birthday.

Less well renowned, I suspect, is Curley Weaver born this day in 1906 in Covington, Georgia; a childhood friend of Barbecue Bob and a stalwart of the Atlanta Blues scene in the 20s and 30s. Here's Curly with his great friend Blind Willie McTell doing 'I keep on Drinkin'!

Comment

Aretha is 76 today so I suggest we roll out the requisite amount of trombones to mark the great lady's birthday.

Less well renowned, I suspect, is Curley Weaver born this day in 1906 in Covington, Georgia; a childhood friend of Barbecue Bob and a stalwart of the Atlanta Blues scene in the 20s and 30s. Here's Curly with his great friend Blind Willie McTell doing 'I keep on Drinkin'!
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH_IWwuQAVY
                          Atlanta blues scene?? Is this where I get to tell my Atlanta blues club story? I get it confused with the ‘me and Biaggio McPhee looking for a perp in Graceland with a gun toting female PI’ story as that was the same time but I will.
                          Unless you’re careful...

Comment

Atlanta blues scene?? Is this where I get to tell my Atlanta blues club story?
                            Unless you’re careful...
                            My breath is bated, GT!
                            ‘me and Biaggio McPhee
                            Did I ever say that I was once busted flat in Baton Rouge?...not much to tell; just skint and marauded by mosquitoes in a Louisiana swamp. But I did stand on a corner in Winslow, Arizona.

Comment

...and was there ever such a mis-managed musical career for probably the last 40 years. Comparing the energy of her 60s and Early 70s recordings I just wonder what really happened!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                ...and was there ever such a mis-managed musical career for probably the last 40 years. Comparing the energy of her 60s and Early 70s recordings I just wonder what really happened!
                                So true, cloughie...but she can still pull it off as she showed at the Kennedy Centre a couple of years back. Makes you wonder what could have been.

Comment

Working...
                                X