No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're on it like Rob Bonnet JC...

Comment

I feel somewhat ashamed that I managed to miss the mighty R Crumb's 80th birthday yesterday. Here he is with his East River chums John and Eden with a nice wee film.
      Eden & John's East River String Band (Eden Brower & John Heneghan) play in the South of France 2013 with Robert Crumb.www.eastriverstringband.comhttps://www....

Happy slightly belated Birthday, Bob. (might still be yesterday somewhere on the planet if I get a move on)

Comment

This is dated Nov 1 but they mention August at the beginning. All fine with me, I have not heard it before and it is all Ethiopian 78's with an explanation of how R. Crumb obtained them.
        There are some great and rare tracks, but I was a bit surprised at their lack of knowledge about the history of Ethiopian music and especially the Begena. I enjoyed listening to their 10 minute ramble at the beginning too.

here's the link if you want to try and listen off John's website

Here's a link if you use the Apple pdocast app to the latest Old Time Radio Show.
        ‎Show John's Old Time Radio Show, Ep OTRS 141 R. CRUMB’S RECORD ROOM (part 59) “MUSIC OF ETHIOPIA & SOMALIA” special guest’s Robert Crumb & his glorious 78rpm records and that lovable scamp Eden Brower. - 1 Nov 2023

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post

This is dated Nov 1 but they mention August at the beginning. All fine with me, I have not heard it before and it is all Ethiopian 78's with an explanation of how R. Crumb obtained them.
          There are some great and rare tracks, but I was a bit surprised at their lack of knowledge about the history of Ethiopian music and especially the Begena. I enjoyed listening to their 10 minute ramble at the beginning too.

here's the link if you want to try and listen off John's website

Here's a link if you use the Apple pdocast app to the latest Old Time Radio Show.
          ‎Show John's Old Time Radio Show, Ep OTRS 141 R. CRUMB’S RECORD ROOM (part 59) “MUSIC OF ETHIOPIA & SOMALIA” special guest’s Robert Crumb & his glorious 78rpm records and that lovable scamp Eden Brower. - 1 Nov 2023

there are about 24 videos on YT of the HMV JOE series, as dipped into by R Crumb & Old Time John.
          Just saying...

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post

there are about 24 videos on YT of the HMV JOE series, as dipped into by R Crumb & Old Time John.
            Just saying...
            Funnily enough, GT, or I think it is anyway, if I had heard that track blind I would not have been surprised if you had told me it was Appalachian - it sounds a wee bit like American old-time. Great track!

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
              Funnily enough, GT, or I think it is anyway, if I had heard that track blind I would not have been surprised if you had told me it was Appalachian - it sounds a wee bit like American old-time. Great track!
              well that made me go back and listen to it again. It certainly does. Never made that connection before.

but then, obviously this took me to the DeZuriks... (Mrs GT's all time favourite).

I'm not sure if we've ever had a video of them before? Smashing cheerful stuff
              Last edited by Globaltruth; 29-11-23, 13:13.

Comment

I was looking around Desert Island Discs for something to listen to...I had listened to Graham Nash and found it surprisingly disappointing. I decided to have another listen to Shirley Collins from DID and that was a different kettle of fish - how sad that we lost her wonderful voice for all those years. Anyway, among the tracks she chose, it was great to hear Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band singing lustily and with brave courage, ' Who would true valour see'.

Who would true valour seeMaddy Prior and the Carnival BandFrom the album "Sing Lustily and With Good Courage" Saydisc 1990Lyrics:Who would true valour see,Le...

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                  I was looking around Desert Island Discs for something to listen to...I had listened to Graham Nash and found it surprisingly disappointing. I decided to have another listen to Shirley Collins from DID and that was a different kettle of fish - how sad that we lost her wonderful voice for all those years. Anyway, among the tracks she chose, it was great to hear Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band singing lustily and with brave courage, ' Who would true valour see'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiSxSZ0s0AQ
                  I love that gallery hymns album.

Re Maddy Prior, I was listening to Front Row last night and Eliza Carthy was on, talking about her latest album Glad Christmas Comes with Jon Boden of Belllowhead, which includes wassail songs and, surprisingly maybe, their take on Fairytale of New York.

Mention of wassail made me think of Steeleye's brilliant version of the Gower Wassail on Ten Man Mop​. Late lamented Tim Hart on vocal and, of course, Eliza's dad in the band. A much played LP which I never upgraded to CD, and for old times' sake I went and I listened with great pleasure to the whole album on Spotify.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post

I love that gallery hymns album.

Re Maddy Prior, I was listening to Front Row last night and Eliza Carthy was on, talking about her latest album Glad Christmas Comes with Jon Boden of Belllowhead, which includes wassail songs and, surprisingly maybe, their take on Fairytale of New York.

Mention of wassail made me think of Steeleye's brilliant version of the Gower Wassail on Ten Man Mop​. Late lamented Tim Hart on vocal and, of course, Eliza's dad in the band. A much played LP which I never upgraded to CD, and for old times' sake I went and I listened with great pleasure to the whole album on Spotify.
                    Decided to join you on 'Ten Man Mop', gurney. Haven't heard it in years, I'm ashamed to say. How I enjoyed it. 'Gower Wassail' was indeed fantastic, 'Marrowbones' hilarious ( I laughed out loud a few times); but listening to the wonderful 'When I Was On Horseback', I was left thinking how influential that sound remains today. It sounded to me like it had been listened to by the likes of Ireland's mighty Lankum and John Francis Flynn.

Comment

Kershaw's podcasts are so sporadic that I got into the habit of not looking. Also, although the original podcasts remain free, more recent podcasts are free for the first hour, but if you want the whole two and a bit hours you need to pay - it's not a lot, I don't think, but the sporadic nature has meant I have never really investigated if you play per month or per programme. I must check it out. Anyway, I missed the pod that was released before Christmas, but when I looked today, the guests in Andy's kitchen were Eliza Carthy and Jon Boden who gave us a selection of Wassail and other seasonally appropriate material, and most enjoyable they were.
                      [vc_row][vc_column][vc_row_inner el_class=mb20][vc_column_inner width=1/2][vc_column_text] Short (Free) Version [/vc_column_text][vc_column_text]This is the free-for-all version, featuring folk music royalty Eliza Carthy and Jon Boden, playing songs from their new album of wassailing wonderments and telling stories. Plus lots of tracks I hope you’ve never heard before but will love for ever more.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column_inner][vc_column_inner width=1/2][vc_single_image image=2350 img_size=full][/vc_column_inner][/vc_row_inner][vc_row_inner el_class=mb20][vc_column_inner][vc_raw_html]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[/vc_raw_html][/vc_column_inner][/vc_row_inner][vc_separator][vc_row_inner][vc_column_inner width=1/2][vc_column_text] Full Length (Patrons only) Version [/vc_column_text][vc_column_text]For patrons only, the full-length version, including all six songs from the Eliza Carthy and Jon Boden kitchen session. All very seasonal, but if you’re not in festive mood there’s also an invitation to drink a little poison.[/vc_column_text][vc_empty_space height=10px][vc_btn title=BECOME A PATRON style=classic shape=square color=danger link=url:https%3A%2F%2Fpatron.podbean.com%2FAndyKershawPodcast||| el_class=button-txt][/vc_column_inner][vc_column_inner width=1/2][vc_single_image image=2350 img_size=full][vc_empty_space height=20px][/vc_column_inner][/vc_row_inner][vc_row_inner el_class=mb20][vc_column_inner][vc_raw_html]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[/vc_raw_html][vc_column_text] Playlist (Artist – Song Title – Album - Label) John Fogerty - Southern Streamline - Blue Moon Swamp - Warner Bros Spencer Wiggins - Old Friend - The Goldwax Years - Ace U Brown - So Long - Junior Byles & Friends - Blood & Fire Julizya Band - Tai Yaka - Zambush Vol 1 - SWP Zachary Richard - Colinda - The Big Easy (Soundtrack) - Island Serge Gainsbourg - Aux Armes Etcetera - Aux Armes Etcetera - Philips Eliza Carthy & Jon Boden - I Saw Three Ships - Kitchen session Eliza Carthy & Jon Boden - The Ashen Bowl - Kitchen session Eliza Carthy & Jon Boden - The Good Doctor - Kitchen session Martin Carthy - Oor Hamlet - The Carthy Chronicles - Free Reed Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Shadow Of A Doubt - Damn The Torpedoes - MCA Del Shannon - Cheap Love - Drop Down And Get Me - Demon Sabreen - On Man - Death Of The Prophet - ACT-AIN David Rovics - When The Last Palestinian's Killed - Download Prince Far I - Talking Rights - Silver & Gold - Blood & Fire Nick Gravenites & Mike Bloomfield - Gypsy Good Time - My Labors - Acadia Bob Dylan - Maggie's Farm - No Direction Home - Columbia Sister OM Terrell - I'm Going To That City - Preaching The Gospel, Holy Blues - Columbia The Rolling Stones - Dreamy Skies - Hackney Diamonds - Rolling Stones The Rolling Stones - Tumbling Dice - Live At Racket NYC - Rolling Stones Tchico Dinamic - Afro Soukouss - La Voix D'Or - Afro-Rhythmes Eliza Carthy & Jon Boden - Glad Christmas Comes - Kitchen session Eliza Carthy & Jon Boden - King of the Birds - Kitchen session Eliza Carthy & Jon Boden - Winter Grace - Kitchen session Grayson Capps - Poison - Wail and Ride - Hyena Records[/vc_column_text][/vc_column_inner][/vc_row_inner][vc_separator][vc_empty_space height=20px][vc_row_inner][vc_column_inner][vc_column_text] Donate if you can... Producing this podcast is not without its costs. If you enjoy it, and would like Andy to keep on playing some bloody great records, please contribute a few quid to help cover our overheads. Your support, no matter how modest or extravagant, would be hugely welcome. Help the war effort against lousy music. Many thanks. [/vc_column_text][/vc_column_inner][/vc_row_inner][vc_row_inner][vc_column_inner][vc_empty_space height=20px][vc_column_text] To become a patron and be personally thanked in my next podcast [/vc_column_text][vc_raw_html]JTNDYSUyMGhyZWYlM0QlMjJodHRwcyUzQSUyRiUyRnBhdHJvbi5wb2RiZWFuLmNvbSUyRkFuZHlLZXJzaGF3UG9kY2FzdCUyMiUyMHJlbCUzRCUyMm5vb3BlbmVyJTIwbm9yZWZlcnJlciUyMiUyMHRhcmdldCUzRCUyMl9ibGFuayUyMiUzRSUzQ2ltZyUyMHN0eWxlJTNEJTIyd2lkdGglM0EyMDBweCUzQiUyMGhlaWdodCUzQTg4cHglM0IlMjBib3JkZXIlM0Fub25lJTIyJTIwc3JjJTNEJTIyJTJGJTJGZDhnMzQ1d3VoZ2Q3ZS5jbG91ZGZyb250Lm5ldCUyRnNpdGUlMkZpbWFnZXMlMkZwYXRyb24lMkZ3aGl0ZXgzNDAuanBnJTIyJTNFJTNDJTJGYSUzRQ==[/vc_raw_html][/vc_column_inner][/vc_row_inner][vc_row_inner][vc_column_inner][vc_empty_space height=20px][vc_column_text] To make a one-off contribution - thank you! [/vc_column_text][vc_empty_space height=15px][vc_raw_html]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[/vc_raw_html][vc_empty_space height=10px][/vc_column_inner][/vc_row_inner][vc_separator border_width=2 css=.vc_custom_1621511861803{padding-top: 10px !important;padding-bottom: 10px !important;}][vc_row_inner][vc_column_inner width=1/3][vc_column_text el_class=mb10] Listen on your mobile [/vc_column_text][vc_raw_html]JTNDYSUyMGhyZWYlM0QlMjJodHRwcyUzQSUyRiUyRnd3dy5wb2RiZWFuLmNvbSUyRnBvZGNhc3QtYXBwLWlwaG9uZS1hbmRyb2lkLW1vYmlsZSUyMiUyMHRhcmdldCUzRCUyMl9ibGFuayUyMiUzRSUzQ2ltZyUyMHNyYyUzRCUyMiUyRiUyRmQ4ZzM0NXd1aGdkN2UuY2xvdWRmcm9udC5uZXQlMkZzaXRlJTJGaW1hZ2VzJTJGYmFkZ2VzJTJGYjYwMC5wbmclMjIlMjBhbHQlM0QlMjJBcHAlMjBkb3dubG9hZCUyMiUyMHN0eWxlJTNEJTIyd2lkdGglM0ExNTBweCUzQmhlaWdodCUzQTU2cHglM0Jib3JkZXIlM0Fub25lJTNCJTIyJTNFJTNDJTJGYSUzRQ==[/vc_raw_html][/vc_column_inner][vc_column_inner width=2/3][vc_column_text el_class=mb10] Produced in partnership with [/vc_column_text][vc_single_image image=1865 img_size= onclick=custom_link link=https://songlines.co.uk el_class=songlines][/vc_column_inner][/vc_row_inner][vc_empty_space height=10px][vc_separator border_width=2 css=.vc_custom_1621511868566{padding-top: 10px !important;padding-bottom: 10px !important;}][vc_row_inner][vc_column_inner width=2/3][vc_column_text el_class=mb10] Get in touch [/vc_column_text][vc_btn title=Contact Me style=classic shape=square color=black link=url:https%3A%2F%2Fandykershaw.co.uk%2Fcontact%2F||| el_class=button-txt][vc_btn title=Sponsor this podcast style=classic shape=square color=danger link=url:https%3A%2F%2Fandykershaw.co.uk%2Fcontact%2F||| el_class=button-txt sponsor][/vc_column_inner][vc_column_inner width=1/3][vc_column_text el_class=mb10] Follow this podcast [/vc_column_text][vc_btn title=Subscribe style=classic shape=square color=green link=url:https%3A%2F%2Ftheandykershawpodcast.podbean.com%2F||| el_class=button-txt][/vc_column_inner][/vc_row_inner][vc_separator border_width=2 css=.vc_custom_1621511868566{padding-top: 10px !important;padding-bottom: 10px !important;}][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_row_inner][vc_column_inner][vc_column_text el_class=mb10] Spread the word! [/vc_column_text][vc_raw_html]JTVCRElTUExBWV9VTFRJTUFURV9TT0NJQUxfSUNPTlMlNUQ=[/vc_raw_html][/vc_column_inner][/vc_row_inner][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_separator border_width=2 css=.vc_custom_1621511868566{padding-top: 10px !important;padding-bottom: 10px !important;}][vc_empty_space height=10px][vc_row_inner][vc_column_inner width=1/2][vc_raw_html]JTNDYSUyMGhyZWYlM0QlMjIlMkYlMkZ3d3cucG9kYmVhbi5jb20lMkZhbmR5c2VudG1lJTIyJTIwcmVsJTNEJTIybm9vcGVuZXIlMjBub3JlZmVycmVyJTIyJTIwdGFyZ2V0JTNEJTIyX2JsYW5rJTIyJTNFJTNDaW1nJTIwc3JjJTNEJTIyJTJGJTJGZDhnMzQ1d3VoZ2Q3ZS5jbG91ZGZyb250Lm5ldCUyRnNpdGUlMkZpbWFnZXMlMkZhZmZpbGlhdGVfMjUwLmpwZyUyMiUzRSUzQyUyRmElM0U=[/vc_raw_html][vc_empty_space height=10px][/vc_column_inner][vc_column_inner width=1/2][vc_raw_html]JTNDYSUyMGhyZWYlM0QlMjIlMkYlMkZzcG9uc29yc2hpcC5wb2RiZWFuLmNvbSUyRmFuZHlzZW50bWUlMjIlMjByZWwlM0QlMjJub29wZW5lciUyMG5vcmVmZXJyZXIlMjIlMjB0YXJnZXQlM0QlMjJfYmxhbmslMjIlM0UlM0NpbWclMjBzcmMlM0QlMjIlMkYlMkZkOGczNDV3dWhnZDdlLmNsb3VkZnJvbnQubmV0JTJGc2l0ZSUyRmFmZmlsaWF0ZS1pbWFnZSUyRnNwbyUyRjI1MF8xMy5qcGclMjIlM0UlM0MlMkZhJTNF[/vc_raw_html][/vc_column_inner][/vc_row_inner][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Lots of bloody fine records in the show too, including Eliza's Dad's version of 'Oor Hamlet', though, for me, it is not a patch on Adam McNaughton's original take on the play done in four minutes.
                      A brief summary of a very famous play by William Shakespeare.

Comment

It's been a month or so since I visited John's Old Time Radio Show and in the intervening period a couple of new shows are up there - both from R Crumb's legendary record room in France - one is country, featuring Seven Foot Dilly and His Dill Pickles - looking at the picture on YT I assume he gets his moniker from the size of him and not the number of feet he has.

There's also a show featuring old Cajun music - ten songs in an hour is a lot of talking but there's some fantastic songs in there.

Comment

I've been meaning to listen but I have problems with on their website - need to find a reliable source. J. Heneghan is not great at publicising this great show - I would bung him the odd few quid just for the pleasure of listening but he always wants listeners to buy product....anyway thanks for the reminder and long may they ramble on. No other show like it..

Comment

Working...
                          X