Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New gig for Max

Good for them. We allowed some of the children at our school to go on the recent protest so long as they gave a convincing presentation to explain their reasons to the whole school. They did well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bella Kemp View Post
      Good for them. We allowed some of the children at our school to go on the recent protest so long as they gave a convincing presentation to explain their reasons to the whole school. They did well.
      Sounds like a sensible compromise.

As for Soho Radio - I’ll persevere at some point but it seems very unstructured with only 1 or 2 shows in regular slots ( one of which is Max’s). The live stream this morning was a somewhat nervous Talvin Singh (slight change from an oleaginous Petroc) and, looking for Max’s show, I ended up in Mixcloud with an option to subscribe for a fiver a month. Not quite convinced of that, although presumably some of it ends up as a donation to XR?

Comment

Interesting development. I hope it makes some impact. Note though that the XR oriented programming maybe doesn't start until 7th October, and runs for a limited time window up to 20th October.

A couple of days ago one item on R4 had two people - one someone who had flown a lot during his life, and now feels that he really shouldn't have because of the impact on the environment, yet in the BBC's attempt at "balance" there was a woman who claimed that travelling broadened the mind and enabled understanding of other people - in other words taking a "business as usual" approach. She thought that technology would come to the rescue, yet she didn't want to use communication technologies as an alternative to travel.

News for her - it won't - or not in a reasonably short time anyway.

The XR "debate" is full of problems, compromises - but carrying on "as normal" does not seem to be sensible, even if POTUS and others think it doesn't matter.

Comment

BBC Balance strikes again! Was she asked to account for the proliferation of short haul flights to all parts sunny and/or cheap purely for the purpose of drunkenly marking impending nuptials? I doubt it. Broaden the mind, my ****.

XR needn’t worry, air travel will soon become the province of the very rich, whichever hue of government we find ourselves under.

But as it’s Sunday I will subside with a good book. No ticket or carbon offsetting required.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
            Sounds like a sensible compromise.

As for Soho Radio - I’ll persevere at some point but it seems very unstructured with only 1 or 2 shows in regular slots ( one of which is Max’s). The live stream this morning was a somewhat nervous Talvin Singh (slight change from an oleaginous Petroc) and, looking for Max’s show, I ended up in Mixcloud with an option to subscribe for a fiver a month. Not quite convinced of that, although presumably some of it ends up as a donation to XR?
            Ah, yes, Max's show starts on Oct 7 at 10.00am and is for the duration of the action.
            But Soho Radio do have a schedule:
            Broadcasting live from Soho and New York to the world, see the schedule for our two channels: Soho & NYC + Culture.

Bit of a result though - Found a programme dedicated to Trojan Records, on every fourth Monday (!) between 2pm and 4pm.
            For over half a century, iconic British record label, Trojan Records has consistently presented the very best in classic ska, rock steady and reggae sounds to the world at large. And for almost 30 years of that time, Laurence Cane-Honeysett has been at its heart.

they just need more dub and less hits.

by the way - using the internet contributes to global warming.

Comment

But as it’s Sunday I will subside with a good book. No ticket or carbon offsetting required.
              Unfortunately books and paper production are resource and energy intensive.

By the way - using the internet contributes to global warming.
              Indeed.

Possibly it's less damaging than travel or paper production.

There are no easy answers - though consuming less helps. Historical evidence from the last few decades suggests that the rates of global warming and environmental damage are reduced when there are economic downturns, or flights are not taken - for example due to volcanic activity.

Comment

Books can be recycled by being passed on to fresh readers, of course. I rarely buy new books these days. But a world without physical books is to me unthinkable.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                  Books can be recycled by being passed on to fresh readers, of course. I rarely buy new books these days. But a world without physical books is to me unthinkable.
                  True, though a lot of books are really not worth reading or promulgating, or, dare I say it, writing - except for the profit motive by some of those who do it.

I agree about having physical books. Sadly I've just sent some "real" books to landfill - they weren't the sort of books which are popular, or relevant to most people.

Comment

Working...
                  X