Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ginger Baker Dies at 80

Sad to see the loss of the crazy legendary Ginger Baker. Such a drummer!
    One of rock's most influential musicians, he played with Cream, Blind Faith and Public Image Ltd.

A legend indeed. Cantankerous, by all accounts but a unique talent equally at home in rock, jazz and world music. He'll be much missed.
    And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

All future Cream re-unions will have to be solo events.

Comment

Beware of Mr. Baker:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

'16 bar crossover rhythms' or some such description of his drumming skill (perhaps mis-remembered) from a 1960's encomium praising Ginger Baker in the Observer. Apparently these are/were very difficult but not for Ginger.

RIP.

Comment

Yes there were rows and musical differences but the musical power of Cream was never repeated and though all three made music individually and sometimes together and did very good things. Will there now be disagreements with Jack in the hereafter?
            RIP Ginger.

Comment

i fear he has to take the blame for inflicting on audiences the 25 minute drum solo that marred so many rock gigs well into the seventies !

Comment

Originally posted by zola View Post
                i fear he has to take the blame for inflicting on audiences the 25 minute drum solo that marred so many rock gigs well into the seventies !
                I can tell you’re a fan then !

Comment

Here's Ginger with Fela and Africa 70 on 'Let's Start'.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    I can tell you’re a fan then !
                    Actually, I was at the 1968 farewell gig at the Albert Hall ( support bands Taste and Yes ! ) But the drum solo always seemed more of a feat of endurance than anything to do with music to me. But hey, RIP Ginger
                    even if the idea of someone with his temperament resting in peace is somewhat incongruous. As you speculated, they're probably arguing already.

Comment

Originally posted by zola View Post
                      ( support bands Taste and Yes ! )
                      Not two words I'd place in close proximity! Just my opinion of course

Ginger Baker - Jazzwise he was very good but a bit old fashioned (big band-ish) to my ears. I preferred Jimi Hedrix's trio, though "one on one" I have to concede that Cream were better technique wise, as I saw asserted in a recent documentary.

Comment

Currently listening to the Cream farewell concert of 69 on youtube. Yep, they're sick.

Comment

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
                          Not two words I'd place in close proximity! Just my opinion of course

Ginger Baker - Jazzwise he was very good but a bit old fashioned (big band-ish) to my ears. I preferred Jimi Hedrix's trio, though "one on one" I have to concede that Cream were better technique wise, as I saw asserted in a recent documentary.
                          Also JHE had one ego to Cream’s 3!

Comment

Jamming in Lagos:
                            Ginger Baker jams with Nigerian Afro-Rock artistes in Lagos, Nigeria in 1971.They include: Johnny Haastrup, Joni Haastrup Tee Mac, Tunde Kuboye, Laolu Akins...

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                              Jennifer Lucy Allen also chose a great Baker solo from Lagos on her LJ.

I'm drawn to say he was at his best behind a drum kit.

Comment

Working...
                              X