Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carnatic Guitar Music

I saw this on instagram just now and fortunately discovered it's also on youtube!

Enjoy

Today I got a beautiful song for you all to start the New Year! You can see how amazing it is when I play this song on my guitar. This is a traditional India...

Last edited by Joseph K; 08-01-23, 22:29.

Very nice.

The Carnatic tradition is much more open to adopting Western instruments than the North Indian classical tradition, and produced brilliant players like U Srinivas (electric mandolin) and Kadri Gopalnath (alto saxophone), both sadly no longer with us.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
      The Carnatic tradition is much more open to adopting Western instruments than the North Indian classical tradition, and produced brilliant players like U Srinivas (electric mandolin) and Kadri Gopalnath (alto saxophone), both sadly no longer with us.
      I didn't know that about Carnatic music, thanks for the info. I wonder why Carnatic music is more open in that regard...

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
        I didn't know that about Carnatic music, thanks for the info. I wonder why Carnatic music is more open in that regard...
        I think perhaps because it isn't so concentrated on fine distinctions of pitch owing to its complexity being more in the rhythmic domain. The only Western instruments you see in North Indian music are those with the possibility of continuous changes of pitch, like the violin and Debashish Bhattacharya's slide guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
          I think perhaps because it isn't so concentrated on fine distinctions of pitch owing to its complexity being more in the rhythmic domain. The only Western instruments you see in North Indian music are those with the possibility of continuous changes of pitch, like the violin and Debashish Bhattacharya's slide guitars.
          Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X