No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it's certainly been a mixed bag these last few days.
    Par example:
    That whole covers thing 'shall we play a Radiohead or a Human League cover?' I wanted to contact him and say 'Please don't play either' - sometimes playing covers is the act of a person bereft of ideas. Sometimes I don't listen to LJ for covers of their songs. Unless it's FT playing another Susanna and her Magic Orchestra cover of course.

My standout (new-to-me) track surprised me - but that's maybe the way. It was Timo Andres & Metropolis Ensemble Paraphrase on Themes of Brian Eno, i found parts of it v.moving; not always convinced of the supposed size of old Brian's talent but that was a fine piece of music.

Overall - a lot of stuff I would have happily skipped over if I could have done although I do remember being less than impressed when the Maxster first took hold of the reins, so will give him a bit more time.
    And, to Nick Luscombe's credit, he is getting some v.positive feedback in the Twittersphere. And as we all know that's ALL that matters.

Be good to get some more views (oh, that means you again JC - lobbbed back into your court. Ace)
    Last edited by Globaltruth; 05-07-13, 12:12. Reason: 40-40

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
      Well, it's certainly been a mixed bag these last few days.

Be good to get some more views (oh, that means you again JC - lobbbed back into your court. Ace)
      He seems set to court controversy, does Mr L, and that may be to his advantage. He served up a few aces on Tuesday evening, I thought, and I love this one and thought it might be up your tramlines, too, G - the Moon Wheel.

Wednesday was extremely strange and I detected a few unforced errors particularly off his backhand, though he seemed to be getting some excellent top-spin - but he rather ran out of steam. I haven't caught his match on Thursday but am glad that he is going to make it into the second week, and after a couple of the mandatory BBC ice baths he'll see reason and bin the human league - I mean what the deuce is that all about?
      Last edited by johncorrigan; 05-07-13, 16:18. Reason: more Prince Far I always welcome!

Comment

The discussions on this thread reminded me of one of the non-Classical programmes on R3 in the early seventies - Derek Jewell's Sounds Interesting - I remember him discussing such diverse gems as 10cc Sheet Music and Weather Report's Heavy Weather. Anyone else remember him and have any vies for or against. I think it was on early Sunday Evenings.

Comment

I notice there is a forthcoming sesh by John Tilbury and Derek Bailey coming up next Thursday (11th) which looks fascinating, but possibly OT here? It's hard to know where to discuss improv that doesn't come under one or another of the jazz programmes on this forum The New Music thread?

Comment

For the attention of Nick Luscombe !!

CONGRATULATIONS !!!

I have nominated you for membership of this club:

http://www.dullmensclub.com/

full review follows later. Actually maybe not - too stimulating..
            Last edited by Globaltruth; 11-07-13, 11:36. Reason: http://www.watching-grass-grow.com/

Comment

Listen - I really don't want to keep complaining, but this video game soundtrack nonsense has got to stop...you know it's terrible, even apologising for playing it.

Or are you on a bizarre alienation mission?

I'll never know as I've decamped from LJ until you've finished your stretch. As my old mucker used to say in a lovely thick Scouse accent 'tar-ra a bit'

Comment

I mean honestly, Wakeman was rubbish the first time round. What makes Nick think a spot of irony will help? Promise of Deep Purple too...wow...hold on to your off-switch.
                Last edited by johncorrigan; 04-12-13, 01:01. Reason: was the best name for a tribute act I saw advertised in Dundee...Cheap Purple!

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                  I mean honestly, Wakeman was rubbish the first time round. What makes Nick think a spot of irony will help? Promise of Deep Purple too...wow...hold on to your off-switch.

Comment

Well yes Global, except I hung on and did hear a rather glorious piece of Welsh Harp music towards the end of Tuesday's prog prog, and it wasn't even Catrin Finch.

Then last night's show had a rather beautiful piece of Mongolian singing...and he played Jungle Line as an opener...and then he mentioned Deep switch. I see from the playlist it was about twenty minutes long...surely the R3 loos are not that far distant.
                    Last edited by johncorrigan; 05-12-13, 19:54. Reason: give the prog the bullet Nick!

Comment

You're right - not all bad. Trouble is he's planning to play some more wretched prog this week. Wonder who he thinks it appeals too? Anyone out there who loves it please do post & tell us why & how.
                      Everyone knows his real duty is to play the sound of Singhalese toenail tappers performing a rendition of medieval madrigal or (better) Chris Watson with his latest recording of the elusive call of the thought-to-be-extinct waphaloon against a background of a torrential down pouring of Fortean toads.

Comment

You're right - not all bad. Trouble is he's planning to play some more wretched prog this week. Wonder who he thinks it appeals too? Anyone out there who loves it please do post & tell us why & how.
                        Everyone knows his real duty is to play the sound of Singhalese toenail tappers performing a rendition of medieval madrigal or (better) Chris Watson with his latest recording of the elusive call of the thought-to-be-extinct waphaloon against a background of a torrential down pouring of Fortean toads.
                        Actually it was enjoyable hearing Court of the Crimson King...or was it 21st Century Schitzoid Man...hard to tell the difference when they take their hats off...I'd probably prefer Catfood mesel'!

Comment

Rather enjoyed NL's eshortgated Happy New Junction - twenty-odd picks in less than half-an-hour - not a bad idea - given the reducing time allocated to WM output by our esteemed R3 schedulers, we might be hearing more of this...or should I say less?

Comment

34mins 53secs before hitting the off switch on last nights effort ( not obsessional or anything u'understand?). Yes, the Peter Tosh acoustic song was pleasant enough but that was it. Where's Fiona? Waiting for the Great Leap Forward...
                            Last edited by Globaltruth; 08-01-14, 17:16. Reason: Keep calm - there are other stations

Comment

34mins 53secs before hitting the off switch on last nights effort ( not obsessional or anything u'understand?). Yes, the Peter Tosh acoustic song was pleasant enough but that was it. Where's Fiona? Waiting for the Great Leap Forward...
                              I liked the Liverpool Scene, and Peter Tosh was fine - I don't remember any more of it, except he was talking over some track or other like he was Giles Peterson, and I kept thinking it still doesn't sound like LJ even though he's been at it for a while. Where's Verity?
                              Last edited by johncorrigan; 08-01-14, 18:04. Reason: sorry about lack of precision!

Comment

The Nick Luscombe mix is fine with me.

However I was irritated by his request for listeners to let him know what they want to hear. I want to be led to new horizons, not hear once again my all-time favourites.

Comment

Working...
                                X