This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The exit of Waxy Maxy

Max has just sent me a tweet (which is one of those sentences you never expected to write) to say he returns to LJ for Xmas fortnight.

I'll send him a link to our Sp. List, but suspect he's already made his choices.

So, given our knowledge of his proclivities, anyone want to take a guess at his choices?

As a one-time betting shop operative, I'm willing to gamble that the other Great Max, Mr Bygraves,
    will be yet again be overlooked again by Radio 3, this time around.

But that not what you arsked ...

PS.
    He's on the spotty btw, thanks to a younger generation

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
      As a one-time betting shop operative, I'm willing to gamble that the other Great Max, Mr Bygraves,
      will be yet again be overlooked again by Radio 3, this time around.
      Aargh indeed he is - & thanks for the mail. I was thinking more of, well, almost anything else really. Like this
      Cecil Taylor - (you need a spare hour)
      or
      Sean Og Tuama
      or
      Bulgarian Mummers

Comment

GT,
        On a Friday afternoon I don't have a spare listening minute - it's that Give The Drummer Some essential listening.
        Has his own stream now ! But I will check'em later. I was bit disappointed with one of Max's items today.
        His take on ' Little Sir Echo ' was way down the charts of favourite versions ...

This pm's listening, so far:

Comment

GT,
          On a Friday afternoon I don't have a spare listening minute - it's that Give The Drummer Some essential listening.
          Has his own stream now ! But I will check'em later. I was bit disappointed with one of Max's items today.
          His take on ' Little Sir Echo ' was way down the charts of favourite versions ...

This pm's listening, so far:
          http://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/38380
          Is that your soundtrack to a glorious afternoon at Cheltenham? That Dougie Costello is some feller...

Comment

The last time we had a glorious afternoon in Cheltenham the artist known as Decca ( of the Dectones )
            was in town.

Little Sir Echo the song, do you have a favourite version ?

Comment

can you say that again?

Little Sir Echo the song, do you have a favourite version ?
              you're a nice little fellow I can tell by your voice but you're so far away..
              The Bebe Daniels version...

not on YouToob but, and in second place, we have...

Last edited by Globaltruth; 10-12-10, 17:32. Reason: forgot to say who was in first place

Comment

Lovely, lovely selections, Global, but The One which kills me every time is this from Herman Darewski.
                But it's not the orchestra or the vocalist that give me that gulp moment.
                It comes from the sea-side audience, who provide that echo, in late August 1939.
                "Little Sir Echo".Herman Darewski & His Band.'Recorded at the Spa Royal Hall, Bridlington'. 1939. A re-upload of "Little Sir Echo" recorded in the Spa Ballro...
                Last edited by Guest; 22-12-10, 08:15.

Comment

Lovely, lovely selections, Global, but The One which kills me every time is this one from Herman Darewski.
                  But it's not the orchestra or the vocalist that give me that gulp moment.
                  It comes from the sea-side audience, providing that echo, in late August 1939.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDwx6EDuE3U
                  that is a terrific version..and so here we are back in Brid again.
                  This feller's still there.
                  We had a card from him and Lynette today.
                  Here he is doing a favourite track - a fave of someone else as I recall...:cool2:

Comment

Don't forget the little birdies at this time of year.
                    Originally a single by They Might be Giants, played here by Jim Eldon.This broadcast was brought to you by all new ethically Sourced Zoo and Logical Times:ht...

Comment

or these

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                      Don't forget the little birdies at this time of year.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXAeL5qe5_o
                      Goldern Birdies - as comic [with thanks to WFMU]
                      Last edited by Globaltruth; 11-12-10, 10:59.

Comment

the story sofa

So far then Max's mythical Xmas playlist looks like this:

Little Sir Echo - Max Bygraves
                        Tzotzil Mummers - Cecil Taylor
                        Wexford Mummers Song - Sean Og Otuama
                        Kukerski Igri, mummers dances - Bulgarian bagpipes
                        Sad Singin' and SLow Ridn' - Polly Possum & Joe Wolverton with the Dog Patch Boys (random track from PS's WFMU playlist)
                        Little Sir echo - Bebe Daniels
                        The Equestrian Statue - Bonzo Dog Doo Dah band
                        Little Sir Echo - Bonzo Dog Doo Dah band
                        Little Sir Echo - Herman Darewski & his band
                        Dancin in the Dark - Jim Eldon, the Brid Fiddler
                        Birdhouse in Your Soul - Jim Eldon
                        Golden Birdies - Captain Beefheart (comic version)

A bit too echo-y, perhaps but not a bad start

Comment

That Max Bygraves can be removed - it's a pale reflection of the other echos !

Comment

Replace with one of that playlist, the talkover music provided by Oliver Sain's gorgeous ' Night Time '
                            And there's an odd chance that Bongo Joe might pay a visit ...

Comment

Replace with one of that playlist, the talkover music provided by Oliver Sain's gorgeous ' Night Time '
                              And there's an odd chance that Bongo Joe might pay a visit ...
                              your wish...

now which LJ presenter do you imagine might play that?

Wrong station altogether imho...

Comment

Working...
                              X