Joni Mitchell - you don't know what you've got...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    Maybe Joni is still fed up with Bob cos, according to a book I read about her, she was playing on stage with Bob and according to her he always has really terrible breath and so he always arranges that they shared a microphone and breathes into her face. She also was famously fed up with Bob around the Hurricane Carter case when he brought him onto stage during the rolling thunder review and she was not impressed. And of course some do say that Coyote is about him.
    One of the best things about music is that one gets the artistic personality rather than the entire personality. Whether the latter is coloured or blurred by lyrical imagery, whether the music itself is orchestral or industrial, there is something about the channels that make it easier to accommodate than the commentary of most artists. I find I try to say these days that I like people's work rather than saying I like them. Some of my favourites would probably be a perfect pain in the day-to-day.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
      One of the best things about music is that one gets the artistic personality rather than the entire personality. Whether the latter is coloured or blurred by lyrical imagery, whether the music itself is orchestral or industrial, there is something about the channels that make it easier to accommodate than the commentary of most artists. I find I try to say these days that I like people's work rather than saying I like them. Some of my favourites would probably be a perfect pain in the day-to-day.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
        I was listening to Blue today on my way back home from the west and I still find things in there to discover and I must have listened to it hundreds of times over the years
        Little Green took on a much more powerful meaning after I read that she'd given up a child for adoption.
        Steve

Comment

I have only just caught this thread - the first point I would make reagarding Madonna ii that she has got away with style over substance for 30 years or so and the term reinvention seems to have been her invention, whereas JM with a natural talent for words and music has evolved her style and musical requirements over the years and has set the bar rather than jumping on bandwagons (how many more metaphrs can I mix?).
          I've liked all JM's albums over the years my favourites probably are her first album Song to a Seagull and the wonderfully orchestrated, almost Wagnerian at times, Both Sides Now but I also liked her late 70s jazz-influenced, not least the Jaco Pastorius presence on a couple of them. The Dylan saga of the bad breath I had heard and guess that tainted her view of him. Having never met either of them I am happy to listen to both and judge on the sounds they have produced over the years as I do with another contemporary whose music and words I have liked over the years, Leonard Cohen.

Comment

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
            Little Green took on a much more powerful meaning after I read that she'd given up a child for adoption.
            She was reunited with her daughter in the late 90s, Steve, and there were a couple of grandchildren, but I think the relationship was quite fraught, as you would imagine, and a few years on the police were called following a bust up between the two at Joni's big house in LA. So maybe no happy ending to that beautiful song.

Comment

Working...
            X