X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music Planet

Episode 2 tonight - The Desert

Here's an extract from the BBC's page

'Dubai: Andy Kershaw meets the first Emirati singer to record an album in Urdu - a significant moment in Dubai where some 65% of the population are Sub-continent migrant workers. He also visits the labour camps where they live, marvels at an indoor ski resort and climbs the tallest building in the world. Plus there's a session from Desert Heat who deliver their rap in traditional Emirati dress.

Mongolia: Lucy Duran travels deep into the Gobi desert, sets up a recording studio in a ger (traditional Mongolian tent, known in Russia as a yurt) and records various styles of desert song, including the extraordinary two-tone throat singing. Plus there are songs of Holy Mountains in one of the remostest parts of the Gobi desert, and a young artist from Ulaanbaatar who combines throat singing with beat-boxing.

Algeria: Andy Kershaw travels to the far south of Algeria and the small town of Djanet. He marvels at the beauty of this vast desert and listens to music inspired by the Sahara. He meets and records the Bali family and finds them mourning the recent death of their father - who drowned in the desert.'

and a link to the flashier promo for the TV programme
    Human Planet

Global, Is the FoR3 team live for this one tonight?, Lat.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
      Global, Is the FoR3 team live for this one tonight?, Lat.
      Yes, I'm up for it I think, enjoyed it last week. Hopefully one or two extra posters will join in too...

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
        Yes, I'm up for it I think, enjoyed it last week. Hopefully one or two extra posters will join in too...
        Only if the Chair of the meeting gets her act together - somehow I don't think they're Kershaw fans in this Village Hall. The best I can expect is that I'll be driving during the first part of the show, but who knows.

Comment

I do hope that you can make it, John, even if it has to be only the second half. They have got throat singers on tonight. I will always remember the time I saw Enkh Jargal. It was one of the most extraordinary live experiences I have had the good fortune to witness.
          Last edited by Guest; 18-02-11, 13:35.

Comment

.......Paul, Welcome back. I am pleased that the drain has been repaired. It wasn't the Waterloo and City line, was it? That is nicknamed such. Main question - will you be with us live tonight for Music Planet?

As GT explains, it features musicians from Dubai, Algeria and Ulaanbaatar. What you won't hear is that all three have metro systems that some might choose rather than TfL. No tubes in the deserts though - Lat.
            Last edited by Guest; 20-01-11, 19:16.

Comment

..and off we go.

I remember that session from Algeria - was it really in 2006?

Comment

Hi GT, I'm here. Are you here? Is anyone else here? John's over at the village hall. Andy starting this one. Nice. I tend to think of Algeria in terms of Rai - Khaled - and Rachid Taha - Rock El Casbah - but this is different. Seems more Toumast or Tinariwen.

Comment

....Oh you are here. Good. I have been practicing all day how to spell Ulaanbaatar but that's for later...... Ah, Atmane Bali. It is Algerian Touareg.
                  Last edited by Guest; 20-01-11, 22:14.

Comment

no Tinariwen or Tartit,although they get a mention, too over-exposed I guess

...but the theme of the TV prog was certainly Water is Life.

And not very good coverage on Spotty for any of tonights artists.
                    here's all I could find
                    Music Planet 2

'I am praying to Allah to give me the virtue of patience' - Amen to that.

Comment

I think our coordination is better than the Planet media. Now, I like this a lot, Mongolia, I was wondering how it would compare with Khusugtun. You will think I'm mad but I'm sure part of that song shared a tune with something in Italian opera.......Madame Butterfly, I think......what's happened here? I've lost the broadcast.

Comment

off to Mongolia. Is Lucy at the sea-side?

Ahh, no on the edge of the Gobi desert. Can't the beeb afford a nice camel for her to ride on?

Couldn't hear the throat-singer very well - a bit lost in the mix. Maybe get him better on a second listen.

Lat you get to do your Ulaanbataar bit at the Choijin Lama Temple Museum

http://www.legendtour.ru/eng/mongoli...a-museum.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                          You will think I'm mad but I'm sure part of that song shared a tune with something in Italian opera.
                          Not at at all, in the immortal words of Dirk Gently, 'everything is connected'

Does anyone know where I can get throat-singing lessons?
                          Last edited by Guest; 20-01-11, 22:41.

Comment

You couldn't hear the voices very well. I couldn't hear anything for five minutes. No FM here at all from 9.22pm. Quick changeover to Listen Live. Back in action.

Comment

Site of intangible heritage - brilliant!

Comment

Working...
                              X