Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Were they bona fide ads? At the beginning of this set is the JS track that Nick Park played on DID. He should get the Fleas contract for my money.
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I was settling down to an enjoyable listen of WP last eve when my daughter's Chemistry exam revision intervened - there was a great scream at the beginning of show (and it wasn't me) and I look forward to re-engaging with it.

Comment

• Globaltruth
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
      Hi Global. Good to hear from you. I was there ready but I could see that it wasn't going to happen last night. I'm restless and downcast and have a horrible day ahead of me so I found it difficult to focus. But I caught 20 minutes of it and, on what I heard, agree with Martin. It was very good indeed and more varied than expected. Not just one Adjagas after another so I'm definitely going to listen to the whole of it. As for live, it could always be done on Saturday, but if that's difficult, don't worry. Lat
      Can't do Sat., but will and try and be there for next Thurs...

Comment

• Globaltruth
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Anyone know what AK is up to right now?

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

If he's up, there's a very good chance that he'll be having a fag.

Last edited by Guest; 29-01-11, 10:23.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Good for him. Mind you, he'll have the ex-General Secretary of the National Campaign for Civil Liberties on his tail:

Comment

• Globaltruth
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Ok, let's try again...does anyone have any idea what projects AK is working on now that he has finished M. Planet?

Comment

• Martin Reynolds

Well I heard that after finally accepting the offer from Songs of Praise he'll be going into the priesthood. Monseigneur Kershaw anyone?

Comment

• Globaltruth
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Martin Reynolds View Post
                  Well I heard that after finally accepting the offer from Songs of Praise he'll be going into the priesthood. Monseigneur Kershaw anyone?
                  Well if your little group doesn't know Martin, I'll just assume he is still working on his book as mentioned last year here
                  No Off Switch

Wondered if he might be back on air sometime...

Comment

• Martin Reynolds

Joking aside Global I have read somewhere about other projects for R3, but unfortunately can't remember where. I think 'No Off Switch' is completed and due for release in the Spring.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Martin Reynolds View Post
                      Joking aside Global I have read somewhere about other projects for R3, but unfortunately can't remember where. I think 'No Off Switch' is completed and due for release in the Spring.
                      Hey didn't know that, thanks...if you come across anything don't forget to post it here as well as your other group. Thanks.

Comment

• Martin Reynolds

It said Spring release in Songlines Jan/ Feb 2011 but here on Amazon we have 7th July 2011.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Interesting. Not sure about the cover though. I don't think it is quite him. According to Wikipedia, he has "recently contributed to Radio 4's From Our Own Correspondent programme, with a piece from Kinshasa (DR Congo) on the 'Rumble in the Jungle' stadium".

Have now had a chance to listen to the third Music Planet in full. To completely contradict my earlier comments, it wasn't quite varied enough for me. However, the lives of people in the Arctic Circle are extraordinary. The space and connection with nature appeal. The extremes in temperature and lightness and darkness certainly don't but didn't they all seem contented?

While the throat singing from further south can reach the heart and soul, the northern versions seem more playful. This is not to detract from them - nothing that we heard was less than intriguing - but there was a little bit too much yoiking for me. I do though like the Jews Harp. We are getting our fair share of unusual instruments this month - Lopa's hurdy-gurdy session - and I'm still wondering what that pin-barrel harp is on the Chris Wood clip. Looking at its shape, it seems very wrongly named.

Anyway, the best bit of the programme for my money was the first. Greenland's greatest singer, Rasmus Lyberth, who initially I thought was a bit so-so but on further listening to his voice, I felt that it had a moving quality. I will probably try to dig some more of his out. And when I have a moment, I'll see if I can find Greenland's other top five greatest singers. Forget weathering it in Yakutsk. That is what I call a proper challenge.
                          Last edited by Guest; 31-01-11, 12:37.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                            • Nov 2010

The scream near the beginning of the programme got me again - if I had a mobile phone I'd get it as a ring tone.

The Greenland singer was wonderful as much because he kept sounding like some Irish singing that I've heard down the years - and so wise. That certainly was an aspect of the programme - the wisdom of these people living close to the natural world; close to the edge. Of course they feel the change in the climate more than we do, given that position.

The Throat singing women may be one of the most uncomfortable things that I have heard - I sat on edge throughout - pierced to the very marrow and out the other side.

But for me it was the jews harp players - that music was so wonderful - music that reflects the sounds of the Arctic - perhaps the high point of the series so far for me.

And Andy was in great form with the caribou herders - I was less keen on the music but he sounded like he really liked those folk - that great mixture of the humour of not totally understanding and yet real respect for the people themselves. His conversation about how many reindeer the Sami woman had was great. He and Lucy are doing a cracking job. And it's jungle next week - Andy in one of his elements I expect.:cool2:
                            Last edited by johncorrigan; 31-01-11, 22:36. Reason: duff punctuation

Comment

• Martin Reynolds

I was interested in the Shamanistic spirituality. I was embarrassed by the lack of sensitivity of Christians towards this very ancient religion. As I understand it a shaman is simply a person with expert knowledge of the spirit world. Seems to me that Christians have always had a thing about people who claim to have special knowledge. I am thinking in particular about the persecution of the Gnostics labelling them as heretics. It's usually people who don't know very much who go in for this kind of thing. And for me as a Christian it's embarrassing.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

I'll be listening but not close to a computer...but as it looks like Lat has gone MIA and I assume JC is on committee duty will only be a sparse group anyway for what promises to be an intriguing look at people in trees.

Comment

Working...
                                X