• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Pikaia View Post
    Three musicians in one week! Imagine the celestial jam session - Shankar on sitar, Brubeck on piano, and Moore on xylophone!
    Don't forget Vishnevskaya and Della Casa "on vocals"!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

A sad few days indeed for the music world.

Comment

• Globaltruth
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Lucy Duran will be presenting 2 programmes of Ravi Shankar's music, first one Jan. 6

Lucy Duran introduces the full-length Raga Jog, Ravi Shankar's first recording from 1956.

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

thanks for that Global
          lets hope it's not an endless round of stuff about how he influenced the beatles (lower case intentional !)

there was some dreadful guff written after his sad passing
          as if the whole of Indian music was only validated by it's "influence" on Western pop music

Comment

• Globaltruth
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Thats v. true Mr GG, these 2 programmes consist mainly of ragas as far as i can tell - so the music will be allowed to speak for itself which is most fitting.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Reminder: A couple of tribute broadcast of recordings of Ravi Shankar from 1956 and 2000 coming up (the first being later tonight). There is a rather strange suggestion on the schedule pages that the 1956 recording was Ravi Shankar's first! His first destined for LP, yes, but what about the 78s and 7" EPs which preceded it?

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Reminder: A couple of tribute broadcast of recordings of Ravi Shankar from 1956 and 2000 coming up (the first being later tonight). There is a rather strange suggestion on the schedule pages that the 1956 recording was Ravi Shankar's first! His first destined for LP, yes, but what about the 78s and 7" EPs which preceded it?
                Tuned in for a 10 o'clock start - shoulda known better and checked first - doesn't start till half past - oh well, at least I didn't miss it.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                  Tuned in for a 10 o'clock start - shoulda known better and checked first - doesn't start till half past - oh well, at least I didn't miss it.
                  I felt last night that Radio 3 did one of the things Radio 3 should be doing. If it is going to cover areas that will be over familiar to some regular listeners, then it should be going much further than CFM and its lazy rotating of "Bolero". And that it did yesterday with an excellent documentary on Verdi, a re-run of a very good Twelfth Night and a tribute to Ravi Shankar that in broadcasting terms was unique. All of these programmes were educational, accessible and of a high standard. I very much enjoyed them all.

While I was aware that Shankar hadn't been very young in the 1960s, and fully recognise that there is a very long Indian classical tradition, there was still much to be contemplated by the playing of Raga Jog in full. Apart from being spellbound by that reminder of his technical brilliance, there was a thought that it seemed almost ahead of its time. One remembered the three minute single from the 1950s onwards and the move towards long guitar solos in the late 1960s/early 1970s, Basho, Jansch etc in between.

Of course, western classical music and significant elements of jazz during that period had run in parallel but in, say, pop and rock terms, music was very much a soundbite. Shankar, among others, was arguably very influential in subsequently changing commercial outputs, particularly when it came to album sales. And while he may or may not have been the father of world music - actually probably not - he was highly significant in helping to broaden musical palletes in the west, especially in the longer term.
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-01-13, 21:05.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

Apologies for stating the blinkin' obvious but part two of the Ravi Shankar tribute was a joy to listen to - as has been said previously a few words from Lucy and then let Ravi's music do the talking. Still a few hours left in case anyone forgot. I could handle a bit more of that, I tell you.
                    Lucy Duran with Ravi Shankar's full-length performance of Raga Kaushi Kanhara from 2000.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

Ravi's on Beeb 4 this evening in an updated doc from about ten years back followed by another showing of the Concert for Bangladesh.
                      Documentary about the life of Indian musical innovator Ravi Shankar.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

News from the grammies -

Comment

Working...
                        X