Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lat - if you have the time & inclination a Spotify playlist of best tracks of at least one of these playlists would be most appreciated...you can probably work out which lists are of most interest. Just a thought in passing

Comment

The only one on that formidable inventory that I bought was Dylan Tempest. The only one I bought not on list was the 4 CD "Chimes of Freedom: The Songs of Bob Dylan Honouring 50 Years of Amnesty International" (which you would not have included anyway, since it is a complilation).
      Having perused the list, what I may now get are Karine Polwart's Traces and Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Psychedelic Pill (touring next year).
      One not on there which I nearly bought on the night, having enjoyed their gig earlier this year was Breabach's Bann.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
        List 7 - Electronica/Ambient/Experimental (15)
        Listening to Cerys this morning Lat, she played this piece by Snow Palms behind an excerpt from 'Under Milk Wood' - might be worth considering for this section - really enjoyable...and the Thomas too.
        David Sheppard, Christopher Leary, Snow Palms · Song · 2012

Comment

Thanks for the lists Lat. Great stuff.

There just are not enough hours in the day....

The Neil Young Seems to be well thought of. If anybody is interested , but doesn't know it I can (as a non hard core NY fan) thoroughly recommend this from 2010
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

First of all - Thank you very much!

And second - I think you should be having my job!

Bliadhna Mhath Ur chuibh uile - have a good new year when it arrives!

Comment

Thank you for the kind comments Oilrig. I have very much enjoyed your programmes in 2012. Best wishes to you for the new year.

Global - Thank you for your comments. I will produce a playlist but might need help on how to publish it!

teamsaint - Neil Young has had an odd year. Two CDs. Both with Crazy Horse. The other one was a shocker. I like his refusal to compromise at an age when it would be tempting to play safe. One track on "Psychedelic Pill" is over 27 minutes long and another lasts for more than 16 minutes. The musical merits of the CD will be debated for a long time. Here's a summary of the key reviews:

The Chicago Sun-Times said that the album "boasts a few brilliant moments amid numerous typically thundering and meandering dull diversions." However, Rolling Stone gave the album four stars and said "it has the roiling honesty and brutal exuberance of their best records.....this is as inspiringly strange as anything he's done." Douglas Heselgrave, Paste Magazine, said: "Psychedelic Pill may be the best album Neil Young has ever done with Crazy Horse. It'll take years to figure out." Dan Stubbs, giving the album 8 out of 10 stars for NME, writes: "two tracks here – 'Ramada Inn' and 'Walk Like A Giant' – could sit among Young's best."

gurnemantz - I was at Glastonbury in 2009 for Neil Young and he was fantastic. Do try to see him live. I take on board your point about Breabach. To accommodate them, I have moved NY to the rock list where arguably he should have been in the first place.

JC - Thank you for Snow Palms. Enjoyable. I'm keen on Dylan Thomas. We should also hear Stan Tracey on radio more often. As for Welsh music, I've got Calan in there and continue to listen out for quite a few. Anyone from Gruff Rhys and Euros Childs to Y Niwl!
              Last edited by Guest; 31-12-12, 09:59.

Comment

Five of the winners -

Stunning cover of the Rolling Stones' song from the Sticky Fingers album.***I do not claim any rights and ownership of videos or music on this page. I don't ...

A superb performance by The Unthanks and the Brighouse & Rastrick Brass Band at the 2012 Folk Music Awards, The Lowry Theatre Manchester. This performance is...

Taken from Three Trapped Tigers debut EP www.myspace.com/threetrappedtigers

The title track from Jacob Garchik's 2012 release "The Heavens: The Atheist Gospel Trombone Album" on Yestereve Records.Jacob Garchik: trombones, baritones,...
                Last edited by Guest; 31-12-12, 11:09.

Comment

GT - I am not sure how to make my WM 2012 playlist available to others. Do I have to start a "radio station" and if so how please?

I have a track from each of the 50 albums in the WM Top 50 apart from Ry Cooder's which isn't on Spotify. The one I have added to make it up to a full 50 is Ciro Hurtado - Los Angeles Blues. That was in my Top 50 folk/roots list for 2012 but it also fits here.

Comment

GT - I am not sure how to make my WM 2012 playlist available to others. Do I have to start a "radio station" and if so how please?
                    Right click on the name of the playlist in spotty, Lat - I assume you've given it a name - choose 'copy http link' from the drop-down (that's how I do it) - you can then paste it onto a message here on the board and then anyone interested can click the link and subscribe to the playlist. Lookin' forward to it, Lat.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                      Right click on the name of the playlist in spotty, Lat - I assume you've given it a name - choose 'copy http link' from the drop-down (that's how I do it) - you can then paste it onto a message here on the board and then anyone interested can click the link and subscribe to the playlist. Lookin' forward to it, Lat.
                      Thanks John - 'Lat's Best from the World - 2012' -

Comment

I have a track from each of the 50 albums in the WM Top 50 apart from Ry Cooder's which isn't on Spotify. The one I have added to make it up to a full 50 is Ciro Hurtado - Los Angeles Blues. That was in my Top 50 folk/roots list for 2012 but it also fits here.
                        You might try www.mixcloud.com for your own internet radi station.

Comment

Thanks John - 'Lat's Best from the World - 2012' -

http://open.spotify.com/user/worthyf...XhO9fOCKtAVeDm
                          Thanks Lat - i've subscribed too...

Comment

Hey Lat - this is a cracking playlist; here's a tantalising thank you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-K67eHDKpc

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                              Hey Lat - this is a cracking playlist; here's a tantalising thank you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-K67eHDKpc
                              Thank you Global - that is very good of you - and I am pleased you are enjoying it. The cartoon clip is excellent. The Tropicalia people are now finding the autotune which is rather alarming, hence Gal Costa is only at No. 50. Martin Longley of the BBC writes:

This is a new form of robo-Brasil songcraft. It’s as if the late-70s David Bowie had decamped to Rio rather than Berlin, as swirls and curls of subtle tension infuse these stark statements. A helicopter oscillation is introduced towards the end of Neguinho, a song that’s the prime example of these colliding techniques. Autotune Auterótico........uses said device knowingly. Samba drums underpin Miami Maculelê, and the Auto-Tune rears up again, but is it ironically deployed this time?

Thanks too to John for the versions of songs by Michael Marra. I enjoyed them a lot. In time the Hazey Janes will be there too.

I will probably add one further list later in the week - the top folk/roots tracks with a small number of the best from other lists. Then that will be it until next year. Thanks John for the help to me in getting it published. The last ones I did were two years ago.
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-01-13, 13:02.

Comment

Thanks a lot Lat - I've got a bit stuck at Faiz Ali Faiz and Thierry Robin 'Ya Ali' - absolutely terrific.

Comment

Working...
                                X