X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
    Thanks John - 'Lat's Best from the World - 2012' -

http://open.spotify.com/user/worthyf...XhO9fOCKtAVeDm
    Having now managed to subscribe to spotify, I have to congratulate you Lateral Thinking! I will play some of this this morning while doing my yoga stretches.

Looking forward to your Jazz compilation!

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      Thanks a lot Lat - Faiz Ali Faiz and Thierry Robin 'Ya Ali' - absolutely terrific.
      Many thanks John - and I agree.

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
      Having now managed to subscribe to spotify, I have to congratulate you Lateral Thinking! I will play some of this this morning while doing my yoga stretches.
      Oddball - Thank you for the good comments. Enjoy Spotify - I hope you will contribute to our future collaborative lists.

Comment

Originally posted by Oddball View Post

Looking forward to your Jazz compilation!

Oddball - we have a thread dedicated to Spotify, where a few of us create playlists.

Here are a couple of samples ...
        http://open.spotify.com/user/trautig...6dIpd1dMS34aDD - on the topic of The Weather
        and
        http://open.spotify.com/user/trautig...IVn46DDMi0TLKf
        on Trees (very much a Lat majority effort...)

If you are interested then you can just check out the following Spotify people:
        http://open.spotify.com/user/worthyfarm = Lat
        http://open.spotify.com/user/paulsherratt = Paul Sherratt
        http://open.spotify.com/user/jcorrigan1452 = John Corrigan
        http://open.spotify.com/user/trautigan = me

Probably makes more sense to continue this discussion over on the 1000000 songs about thread. Hope you find some music you like.

Comment

Having listened to Lat's rather excellent list I've come to the conclusion that 2012 was one very good year for Music from around the world. Plenty in there to enjoy again. Thanks again Lat.

Comment

Having listened to Lat's rather excellent list I've come to the conclusion that 2012 was one very good year for Music from around the world. Plenty in there to enjoy again. Thanks again Lat.
            yes, me too and yet that goes against the popular view as espoused in froots currently.

odd innit?

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
              yes, me too and yet that goes against the popular view as espoused in froots currently.

odd innit?
              They need to get Lat in there to sort them out Global.

Comment

As promised, here is the other selection. It is based on the folk/roots list and the other lists.

There isn't a lot of jazz as I am leaving that to the experts. Next January it might be different.

52 tracks here, not this time in order of preference, but it is intended to segue, albeit unpredictably -

'Lat's One for Each Week - 2012'

Comment

As promised, here is the other selection. It is based on the folk/roots list and the other lists.

'Lat's One for Each Week - 2012'

http://open.spotify.com/user/worthyf...nOLv879PjK5j2z
                  Thanks Lat - about a third through - some top choices - that's the Karine track I would have chosen; loved the Jimmy Cliff - hadn't heard it before; Souljazz, Paul Buchanan and Samuel Yirga rather stand out; if there is one or two missing it matters not, but listening to Mark Coles over the last couple of weeks he reminded me of this beaut from Damien Jurado which was a Shed stand-out earlier in the year - think it ended in an inbox or two - bit of an ear warmer for me.

Comment

Thanks Lat - about a third through - some top choices - that's the Karine track I would have chosen; loved the Jimmy Cliff - hadn't heard it before; Souljazz, Paul Buchanan and Samuel Yirga rather stand out; if there is one or two missing it matters not, but listening to Mark Coles over the last couple of weeks he reminded me of this beaut from Damien Jurado which was a Shed stand-out earlier in the year - think it ended in an inbox or two - bit of an ear warmer for me.

http://open.spotify.com/track/3BgtTFTztrdU1Oby9X7RNq
                    Thank you John. Damien Jurado is a name I know but I didn't think I liked him. I do like that track though so will investigate further. Definitely missed Narasirato who were on the radio early in the year so thanks for the reminder. "High Plains Drifter" is a much better album than the one of LSP included in my lists but generally I tried to keep it all to current productions. Fully accept there are exceptions. Looking back, some of the order and placings might have been different. I am beginning to think with the very high position of Calan that I might have let the pro Welsh band thing take over for a moment but mainly I'm happy as in 80-90%.

Comment

Thank you John. Damien Jurado is a name I know but I didn't think I liked him. I do like that track though so will investigate further. Definitely missed Narasirato who were on the radio early in the year so thanks for the reminder. "High Plains Drifter" is a much better album than the one of LSP included in my lists but generally I tried to keep it all to current productions. Fully accept there are exceptions. Looking back, some of the order and placings might have been different. I am beginning to think with the very high position of Calan that I might have let the pro Welsh band thing take over for a moment but mainly I'm happy as in 80-90%.
                      You have every right to be happy with this.
                      I'm wondering why the Malawi Mouse Boys weren't/aren't bigger & why I enjoy Cornershop quite so much. I think I may be suffering from a temporary Staff Benda Billili overload though, although they will always have a special place.

AND WHERE, MY FRIEND, ARE IRENE VERMILLION & THE TRUMPETEERS??? HAH!!
                      Last edited by Globaltruth; 09-01-13, 15:32. Reason: I was going to put a comment about 'bending over backwards' but deemed it innapropriate

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post

AND WHERE, MY FRIEND, ARE IRENE VERMILLION & THE TRUMPETEERS??? HAH!!
                        ...but there are some trombones in there!

Comment

That Joe Wilkes track is brilliant, Lat - hadn't heard it before - I'll be listening to that a bit more and investigating that record some more. Thanks.

While listening to the tunes, I was reminded of this song that was played a bit in the autumn on LJ and Wo3 by Lauren MacColl and Calum Stewart from 'Wooden Flute and Fiddle - beautifully Scottish, I thought.

Comment

Thank you for the good comments. I feel all bashful.

I had noticed the brass thing as one of the themes. It might be something that I have tuned into more during the past year or simply one of the many trends in music that would generally not be noticed. I am guessing the latter. If it is, I welcome it.

Lauren MacColl and Calum Stewart's "Crow Road Croft" was another one I missed. I am pleased it has had a mention now. For reasons I can't fully explain here, I am in a croft so I really should have noted it. Plus any name that has the word "MacColl" in it should also stand out. I am hearing Kirsty MacColl in Marry Waterson. The similarity between their voices seems uncanny. I have a feeling that the Joe Wilkes CD was a reissue after a very short gap - 2010 or 2011 - but it was released as if it were brand new in 2012 and he really deserves a wider audience. All the reviews are very positive and in a different time he would be well known.

I am keen on the concept of the Malawi Mouse Boys for its/their originality. The videos were great and to my mind they are 2012's Staff Benda Bilili. After all, they are a "story". I think the second SBB CD has proven to be better than the first and the MMB's next offering will hopefully be likewise. There are several in the lower numbers which are the proverbial good fun. Cornershop are an example. I probably have every version of "Brimful of Asha" and there has been plenty since but it's loose with them and always has been. That is a part of the appeal and possibly also a limitation. Robert Wyatt's appearance with Lo'jo was interesting. Oranitza won a best band competition for their unusual combination of sounds and they will be popular. The Bombay Royale are, erm, Australian. Mama Rosin's second is defiantly not like their first. Mokoomba could have enough crossover appeal to be huge.

Comment

Working...
                            X