Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble at t'Proms

Goodness. What's happening now, anyone at the hall? Abandoned completely?!

(courtesey of google)
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Unfortunately, Frechie, the last performance broadcast from the current Prom has blown a rather big hole in Radio 3's claim to broadcast every Prom live. Spinning a disc of Shaham playing the Bruch is no substitute. When the first performance of Paragraph 1 of Cardew's The Great Digest at the Cheltenham Festival was severely disrupted, the broadcast continued. The termination of tonight's broadcast was clearly not for musical reasons. Has this Prom resumed, I wonder? I do hope so.

Comment

Sadly predictable, I'm afraid. Come on, now, in all honesty, why bother inviting this orchestra over when the result is this easy to predict? I know it shouldn't be so but it is.

It'll get the Proms on the front pages anyway.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Dont forget we are here for the music.

I rather like Maxim Vengerov's recording of Bruch VC. I have Shaham's playing the Barber and Korngold. In some ways I see Caliban's point of view, in that Shaham's playing is too sugary for his taste but I don't think it gets in the way so much as this repertoire could demand it?
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

I was dissapointed not to be able to hear the concerto, and I wondered what all those wierd noises were in the Webern as I was pretty sure it did not have voice parts or a choir.

However, I suppose one can't divorce music from life but I expect that there will be a lot of angry people in the hall. Concert goers are not very sympathetic to disruption.

Comment

Could somebody do something with the concept?

Webern accompanied by discordant voices off was not as odd as it sounds. I am sure that there must be a budding young composer who could use this concept of music with running commentary from assembled non singing voices as we heard during the opening piece (and possibly the only work which Auntie is going to allow us to hear live tonight?) and work it up to something worthwhile?

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                This thread is now reopened - but please remember it is for the discussion of the music and performance.
                Does that extend to the termination of the broadcast / performance (? would like to hear from those in the hall how it was handled on the ground), FF ?
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Just now, before the interval, the announcer just said 'disruption in the Hall' but no word of whether the broadcast was to be resumed. Could they have not just delayed the Bruch whilst they chucked the demonstrators out? Surely the whole Concert cannot be abandoned?? I don't mind a bit of rioting in the background.

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    Dont forget we are here for the music.

I rather like Maxim Vengerov's recording of Bruch VC. I have Shaham's playing the Barber and Korngold. In some ways I see Caliban's point of view, in that Shaham's playing is too sugary for his taste but I don't think it gets in the way so much as this repertoire could demand it?

Sorry, bbm - I have just updated my post! I was wrong! It's terrific! One dolt point to me...

Comment

# 18

Poor form.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                        Just now, before the interval, the announcer just said 'disruption in the Hall' but no word of whether the broadcast was to be resumed. Could they have not just delayed the Bruch whilst they chucked the demonstrators out? Surely the whole Concert cannot be abandoned?? I don't mind a bit of rioting in the background.
                        Quite so Anna... I was cycling and didn't really listen to the introduction to the concert (apart from hearing some reference to Wagner and Beethoven)- i thought they were playing an alternative version of the Passacaglia with offstage chorus singing some LvB was it? I rather liked it! Call me a prole

It did get a bit noisy afterwards. I'm sure I heard cavatina 'shushing' poetically!!

Hope Jane set her budgies on the buggers!!!

Comment

Disregard my Msg #4.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by johnn10 View Post
                            Webern accompanied by discordant voices off was not as odd as it sounds. I am sure that there must be a budding young composer who could use this concept of music with running commentary from assembled non singing voices as we heard during the opening piece (and possibly the only work which Auntie is going to allow us to hear live tonight?) and work it up to something worthwhile?
                            Surely in this era of nasty noises and lazy music making somebody has already done this, however I would not call it worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              Disregard my Msg #4.
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                              X