Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How very very sad. It is as if the Proms' innocence has been lost.

Comment

What they should do is have concerts without audiences and then no prob. (Or give Palestine back)

Comment

What annoys me is that the BBC made all this fuss about how wonderful it was that the orchestra was appearing but do not think we are adult enough to listen to what it was the people were shouting about. Exactly the sort of censorship which one associates with the worst kind of State run broadcasting organisation.

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
          Can I refer again to my message 15 upthread to which no-one has responded?
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by johnn10 View Post
            What annoys me is that the BBC made all this fuss about how wonderful it was that the orchestra was appearing but do not think we are adult enough to listen to what it was the people were shouting about. Exactly the sort of censorship which one associates with the worst kind of State run broadcasting organisation.

Comment

I for one am glad if the Proms' "innocence" can be demystified - but not in this way.

Comment

Very sad, and very bleak... can human beings do no better, when all we can finally do, is talk? Most here would probably be more sympathetic to the Palestinian view of "life on the ground" in that war-torn, disputed territory, but to silence the music? German and Spanish music, any music, the precious lingua franca of emotion?

Maybe the protesters felt that a peaceful protest outside the hall wouldn't make the news, but if the point is to gain support, surely it will fail.
                How one still lingers, thinking, maybe they could still continue... but no. Tonight, the rest really is silence - but of a troubled and troubling kind.
                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 02-09-11, 00:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  Roger Wright said: "The invitation to the orchestra is a purely musical one, giving the audience the opportunity to hear this fine orchestra during this year's Proms, not least in the 75th birthday year of its conductor Zubin Mehta."

No matter what side of the fence you sit on, this is a purely musical event and should not be hijacked for political ends, well, that's my opinion. But, totally agree with johnn10, this is censorship by the BBC.

Comment

Yes, I see your point. Nothing innocent about the Proms but one still likes to dream…All the same. It is sad.

Comment

There is no answer until the inquest has been conducted and publicised, I'm afraid. Petruschka.

Comment

Yes, I see your point. Nothing innocent about the Proms but one still likes to dream…All the same. It is sad.
                        Doversoul - I apologise for what I now see as the offhand manner in which I replied to your post.

Comment

Oh well, announcer just said That's it Folks!!

I want to know what's happening in the Hall, sooo frustrating! Anyone got cavatina's mobile no?

Comment

Message 15

Yes, I think the BBC was silly to pander to the Israeli lobby. Gil Shaham had no problem when he played before because it was not with an Israeli sponsored orchestra with all the propaganda involved with such an appearance.

Comment

That may already have happened in 1968. I was there and was feeling pretty angry!
                              "the Russian cellist Mstislav Rostropovich was booked to play Dvorak’s Cello Concerto at the British “Proms” [with the USSR State Symphony Orchestra under Evgeny Svetlanov] on the 21st August, 1968 – just as the [Soviet] tanks went in [to Prague]."

Comment

At last some newspaper coverage, and so much for the RAH searching bags, seems they missed the banners

Tonight's Israel Philharmonic Prom broadcast on Radio 3 has been suspended by the BBC as a result of demonstrations in the Royal Albert Hall.Around a dozen protestors are thought to have been involved.
                                As the IPO began the concert the protestors unfurled banners and began to chant anti-Israel slogans. The organisers had claimed that the audience would be subject to full bag searches, specifically to prevent banners being taken in.
                                After scuffles the protestors were removed by security to the accompaniment of chants of 'out, out, out' by the audience, who then gave the orchestra a standing ovation.
                                Culture minister, Ed Vaizey, who was in the hall, tweeted| 'Demonstrators seem to have turned entire audience pro Israel'.

Comment

Working...
                                X