Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    Can I refer again to my message 15 upthread to which no-one has responded?
    I know what you mean, Petrushka. But there was and must always be the hope that traditional musical goodwill (the sort advocated by Daniel Barenboim and his wonderfully intentioned West Eastern Divan Orchestra) would succeed. I feel sorrow for Zubin Mehta and the IPO musicians as I did for the USSRSSO, Rostropovich and Oistrakh in 1968. I detested what the Eastern Bloc did on on the 20th of August of that year. I went to the USSRSSO concerts in sadness but to hear the music: then shouted my protest up the road at the embassy by Kensington Palace and went to the extra "Prom" where Barenboim and du Pre repeated the Dvorak Cello Concerto (Sunday Proms were rare in those days). I believe that the arts should be there to build bridges and there must always be hope that they will. I believe that Israel has become the creator of its own woes but it will not be moved to fairness by yobbish behaviour.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      Oh well, announcer just said That's it Folks!!

I want to know what's happening in the Hall, sooo frustrating! Anyone got cavatina's mobile no?
      I happen to, but I'm not ****** well handing it over, sorry; I'm the very last person she'd want to hear from and she'd rightly have my guts for garters if I did. Maybe there are other contacts, or people who can transmit here fropm their mobiles?

Comment

Sounds like we are to get an edited version of tonight's Prom next Wednesday afternoon. I will try to listen later via the iPlayer as, at the time of the broadcast, I intend to be relaxing on a beach where FM reception, let alone digital, is a poor joke.

Comment

Vaizey's tweet must have somewhat perplexed the BBC who have held an anti-Jewish slant for decades now.
          Perhaps Wright will be hauled over the coals tomorrow for booking the IPO.

Comment

Originally posted by rank_and_file View Post
            Vaizey's tweet must have somewhat perplexed the BBC who have held an anti-Jewish slant for decades now.
            You can't be serious! The BBC refused to carry any Palestine appeals when the Israelis were bombing the life out of them a couple of years ago. They are pro, not anti.

Comment

I only tuned in for the second half, but I was surprised that the announcer in the hall made no attempt to describe what was happening. Is this a new BBC policy, I wonder? Or is it because the protests (by an astonishingly small number of people if that report is accurate) were politically based? I can certainly recall incidents in the past where on-the-spot presenters rose to the occasion with vivid word-pictures when unforeseen occurrences took place.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                Hope Jane set her budgies on the buggers!!!
                I knew something like this was going to happen, which is why neither I nor the budgies went.

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                Anyone got cavatina's mobile no?
                Yes, thank you.

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                I happen to, but I'm not ****** well handing it over, sorry; I'm the very last person she'd want to hear from and she'd rightly have my guts for garters if I did. Maybe there are other contacts, or people who can transmit here fropm their mobiles?
                Neither am I, for the same reason.

Originally posted by rank_and_file View Post
                We can but hope.

Comment

If people want the discussion to take this line I will move it over to Platform 3 to leave this thread clear to discuss the concert when the repeat is heard.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

From a friend of mine who was at the concert:
                    Suffice to say that Palestine is modern for philistine. Despite constant efforts to disrupt, a succession of glorious performances.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane Sullivan View Post
                      From a friend of mine who was at the concert:
                      Will he/she still be a friend after that statement?

Comment

I suggest that would be the best thing to do, ff. It would be surprising if there was not some discussion about the extra-musical aspects of this concert and it would be strange to treat it as though nothing out of the ordinary had happened.

Comment

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                          I suggest that would be the best thing to do, ff. It would be surprising if there was not some discussion about the extra-musical aspects of this concert and it would be strange to treat it as though nothing out of the ordinary had happened.
                          Apart from the Webern there are ONLY the extra-musical aspects to discuss. (Or am I in some kind of parallel universe?)

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            It's all kicked off again - sounded like a Nazi rally;
                            A rather unfortunate comment, to say the least. Offensive to both sides, I would think.

Comment

Apparently there will be an edited version on Wednesday.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I wasn't listening to the concert, johnb. I assumed from other comments (e.g. the message about 'a succession of glorious performances') that more than one piece had been played.

Comment

Working...
                                X