Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it is my first time thinking freely, so I am looking forward to the weekend. Radio 4 listeners might appreciate Start the Week, for which there are still tickets available on Sunday afternoon. Anne McElvoy talks to the historian Catherine Merridale about the Russian fortress, the Kremlin – a building which has retained its original medieval function to intimidate, and which holds a special place in the imagination.

BBC Radio 4 - Start the Week

Few buildings in England inspire such fear, but Simon Thurley explores how the country’s architecture has influenced the world. The Newcastle-born writer Michael Chaplin looks to the history of the River Tyne to understand the changing fortunes of the city and its population; and the Indian writer Amit Chaudhuri attempts to save the remnants of Calcutta’s colonial past under its ever-changing skyline.

Sage Gateshead - Start The Week
    Last edited by Guest; 25-10-13, 13:15.

Comment

Originally posted by bb View Post
      Well, it is my first time thinking freely, so I am looking forward to the weekend. Radio 4 listeners might appreciate Start the Week, for which there are still tickets available on Sunday afternoon. Anne McElvoy talks to the historian Catherine Merridale about the Russian fortress, the Kremlin – a building which has retained its original medieval function to intimidate, and which holds a special place in the imagination.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/640x360/p01k2gkv.jpg

BBC Radio 4 - Start the Week

Few buildings in England inspire such fear, but Simon Thurley explores how the country’s architecture has influenced the world. The Newcastle-born writer Michael Chaplin looks to the history of the River Tyne to understand the changing fortunes of the city and its population; and the Indian writer Amit Chaudhuri attempts to save the remnants of Calcutta’s colonial past under its ever-changing skyline.

Sage Gateshead - Start The Week
      I thought it was Trumpton...

Comment

YouTube - Trumpton opening titles

... Captain Flack?

Wikipedia - Trumpton

Comment

Oh - right!

Comment

Free Thinking in Derry tonight at 2200hrs....(good evening on R3 tonight )
            bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              I thought it was Trumpton...
              ah, so not a new development at Poundbury then?
              Shame.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

I was not aware that the city of Derry Londonderry had undergone such an unexpected cultural renaissance over more recent years!

BBC Radio 3 - Free Thinking - Derry-Londonderry's Cultural History

Comment

Originally posted by bb View Post
                  I was not aware that the city of Derry Londonderry had undergone such an unexpected cultural renaissance over more recent years!
                  I wouldn't believe the hype. It's still one of the most deprived areas of Northern Ireland and still referred to as Stab City. This recent "cultural renaissance" is so much window dressing.

And welcome back, kleines

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                    And welcome back, kleines
                    Can this really be true?!
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I myself was thinking it might be a apprentice....with actual social skills....
                      bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        Can this really be true?!
                        Looked blindingly obvious to me when I read this thread yesterday. The 'c' style - though slightly tempered - is unmistakeable.

Comment

There had been a 'watching brief' here for some while. The rule is that people are welcome back as long as they don't engage in the same behaviour that got them into trouble in the first place. So far, so good.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                            I wouldn't believe the hype. It's still one of the most deprived areas of Northern Ireland and still referred to as Stab City. :
                            I think you are confusing it with Limerick ?

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                              I think you are confusing it with Limerick ?
                              Yes, Mr GG, Limerick is Stab City of 'The South'...

Derry also used to be known as Limp City due to the number of questionable public liability claims deriving therefrom...

Comment

I'm very fond of Derry Airport
                                if you arrive early a man rides up on his bike to unlock the gates
                                but they do rather hardcore security (a pain if you are travelling with instruments or worse still condenser microphones with batteries in them )

Comment

Working...
                                X