How Britain killed off its musical tribes?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Point of order: the Missa starts with I-VI-II7b-V . Without the first inversion, the progression I-VI-II-V is like lead boots... I have neither the time nor inclination to research its use in Tin Pan Alley in either form, but I suspect the root position version is much more common.

As for that idiotic ad on Youtube, does anyone else wish somebody would slam the lid on his fingers?
    Last edited by EnemyoftheStoat; 01-03-24, 09:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

Those four chords in that incredibly irritating ad that pops up before every piano thing on YouTube are A maj, Emaj, F#minor and D major or if you prefer I,V,Vl,IV.
      Perhaps only for guitarists. A major scale assumed here - and maybe notated as I V vi IV. I haven't actually checked - haven't heard incredibly irritating ad - though I don't disbelieve that there is one.

Drum machines and various electronic pad gadgets for loops etc. also have something to do with the monotony of a lot of pop "music"

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post

Drum machines and various electronic pad gadgets for loops etc. also have something to do with the monotony of a lot of pop "music"
        ....Aye but for us 'talentless and ham-fisted in ability' it gives us a chance to join in or feel creative.....be creative...[hence the tambourine I always keep about my person]..... (no umbridge being given/taken on this end)....
        bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Well I was going to suggest that a large slice of music listening is now done 'privately' via headphones and AirPods &c. That surely encloses people in their own non-social musical world for much of the time.
          I think that is broadly correct.Shared experience has diminished as access has become barrier-free, ( and free of timetabling constraints) and shared experience in public places and organisations has moved away from collective cultural, social and religious moments ,towards philosophy-free “political” and social soundbites. So there is less collective experience either to value or , importantly,to push back against.
          All rather post modern , one might say.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
          X