X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Whereas these days, I get migraines without the headache, 'just' the scary visual disturbances (wriggly multi-coloured flashing Rubik's snakes).

The first ocular migraine I ever had - a few years ago - was really quite scary - what was it? After I recovered a few minutes later I checked out what it was - occasionally have had one since but now less worrying.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Whereas these days, I get migraines without the headache, 'just' the scary visual disturbances (wriggly multi-coloured flashing Rubik's snakes).

I've had this for many years, though in my case the wavy lines are black and not multi-colour. It sometimes affects only one eye only or both and there is a 'hole' in my vision. The whole thing lasts for around ten minutes from beginning to end.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        The classical migraine symptom, called an "aura". I see these frequently, often in the form of a multicoloured neon zigzag or corkscrew, usually lateral to my main visual field.
        But what can you expect from brain damage after all. Par for the course. And easier to cope with than headaches, in all their various dazzling forms, themselves.
        In my particular case, migraines with severe headache started at around 6 years of age and continued fairly frequently in that form until I experienced multiple fractures in a road accident shortly before my 29th birthday. Two of those fractures were of the anterior fossa and maxilla above and below the left eye. I had a cranial operation to repair that of the anterior fossa a few days after coming out of the coma following the accident. Since then, the severe headache aspect of the migraines, and indeed their frequency, have largely ameliorated. Something of a silver lining, one might opine.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

In my particular case, migraines with severe headache started at around 6 years of age and continued fairly frequently in that form until I experienced multiple fractures in a road accident shortly before my 29th birthday. Two of those fractures were of the anterior fossa and maxilla above and below the left eye. I had a cranial operation to repair that of the anterior fossa a few days after coming out of the coma following the accident. Since then, the severe headache aspect of the migraines, and indeed their frequency, have largely ameliorated. Something of a silver lining, one might opine.
          Goodness gracious me! Thankfully I have only had migraine once, to my knowledge; it occurred one day before I went down with influenza.

Comment

• Globaltruth
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Vaccine candidate was found to be more than 90% effective in preventing COVID-19 in participants without evidence of prior SARS-CoV-2 infection in the first interim efficacy analysis Analysis evaluated 94 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in trial participants Study enrolled 43,538 participants, with 42% having diverse backgrounds, and no serious safety concerns have been observed; Safety and additional efficacy data continue to be collected Submission for Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) planned for soon after the required safety milestone is achieved, which is currently expected to occur in the third week of November Clinical trial to continue through to final analysis at 164 confirmed cases in order to collect further data and characterize the vaccine candidate’s performance against other study endpoints Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE) and BioNTech SE (Nasdaq: BNTX) today announced their mRNA-based vaccine candidate, BNT162b2, against SARS-CoV-2

Wonder if this will get a mention in today’s press conference ?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
              https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...didate-against

Wonder if this will get a mention in today’s press conference ?
              Maybe as an appefizer!

Comment

• burning dog
                • Dec 2010

"Biden transition team unveils members of Covid-19 task force"

Let's hope Trumps "Road to De-Mask-Us" has finally been blocked..

....I'll get me coat!!

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
                  https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/09/...19-task-force/

"Biden transition team unveils members of Covid-19 task force"

Let's hope Trumps "Road to De-Mask-Us" has finally been blocked..

....I'll get me coat!!
                  Oh, I think there is no need to retrieve your coat on this occasion.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

The more I read about the vaccine, or more accurately the handling thereof, the more I think it's another case of wishful thinking by an ignorant administration. Firstly I read about it being a two step process, which causes problems from the start. Now I read that the storage requirements are 'somewhat different' from the flu vaccine - not just needing freezers rather than fridges, but ones capable of -70 degrees, and then a phased temperature rise, so more freezers.
                    And that's assuming it can even be got into the country post 31st December...

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                      The more I read about the vaccine, or more accurately the handling thereof, the more I think it's another case of wishful thinking by an ignorant administration. Firstly I read about it being a two step process, which causes problems from the start. Now I read that the storage requirements are 'somewhat different' from the flu vaccine - not just needing freezers rather than fridges, but ones capable of -70 degrees, and then a phased temperature rise, so more freezers.
                      Top up? Your glass appears to be rather more than half empty.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

... my reaction to the over-excitement the prospect of a vaccine is generating is encapsulated by a para in The Times today -

"I was thinking today about the Inquisition, as one does. It wasn’t all thumbscrews and boiling oil. It also deployed a more subtle torment called “torture through hope”. A prisoner was allowed to escape, smell fresh air and taste freedom, only to be surrounded by guards and experience the spirit-crushing realisation that the whole thing was a trick. Villiers de l’Isle-Adam wrote a chilling short story about it, La torture par l’espérance, if you fancy a nice grim read. In French."

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

Yup, exactly what it feels like here as well.
                          Live in a pretty secluded part of NW..............how many areas here have sophisticated enough freezers able to cope......erm......????

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                            Yup, exactly what it feels like here as well.
                            Live in a pretty secluded part of NW..............how many areas here have sophisticated enough freezers able to cope......erm......????
                            The trick is to keep up with the news while simultaneously having no hopes or expectations as a result. The first lockdown back in March was to last about 3 weeks. "We hear what you say."
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Top up? Your glass appears to be rather more than half empty.
                              Glass? What glass?

Sorry, things are a tad tiresome here.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                                • Jan 2014

Firstly, its not Serco or G4S or some little company on an industrial estate getting the contract to vaccinate. Secondly - The NHS and GPs will deliver it, with aid (excellent logistics and delivery) from the armed forces. I'm sure there will be problems, but, thorough going sceptic of this government as I am, I'd rather be positive about this.

The graphic, in particular, in this article shows the physical delivery should be possible:
                                "How will a coronavirus vaccine be rolled out to the UK population?"

I have quite some experience of NHS and how it delivers and it often seems like a parallel universe - what one needs usually happens, but not as fast as initially expected. I'm not very elderly, and I'm not expecting vaccination soon as I'm not in the highest priority groups. It may not be until mid 2021 when vaccinations have been delivered to the bulk of those benefitting from it (and society as a whole benefitting as a result).

However, I'd rather retain my positive feeling that there will be a solution to this infection now that we know that a Covid vaccine will work with at least a reasonable degree of effectiveness - and once offered - safely (given that it will have gone through authorisation). And scientists are encouraged for the other vaccines in development for the same reason, which may well add to the vaccine resources available.

I think having hope, and reasonable grounds for it, is important.

p.s. - When I posted this, I hadn't seen the previous post

Comment

Working...
                                X